Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

8 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Live view of our PTB playing 4-D chess....

giphy.gif

I hope you’re wrong but suspect you’re right. JetGate, Gus’s raise, Gus’s almost firing a couple yrs ago, now this.

If the president wants a search committee, you should have announced it when you fired Gus. The fact that you didn’t and now announce it days later means you’re either incompetent or the guy you thought would take the job said no and now you’re scrambling (making you incompetent bc you didn’t have a backup plan).

The only way you’re competent is if it’s Mario and he asked to hold the announcement until after the PAC-12 title game.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Their billionaire is worth over $50 billion.

The only Auburn billionaires I know of are 1-3 ish (Jimmy. Timmy, and Ray Ray)

Sorry I meant more the fact that ours care deeply about football vs. Knight who doesn’t seem as involved. But I could be completely wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not worried. I am perplexed.

If hiring a search committee is a part of the process, then I accept this as being nothing more than a part of that process. But, why wait on Tuesday to announce a formality? Why allow 48 hours of wild and rampant speculation before announcing a search committee? It seems to me that this should have been announced on Sunday. It should have been planned two weeks ago that it would be announced on Sunday. It's baffling to me.

JABA

I’m predicting we hear something tonight. And if not tonight that means something happened to mess up the timeline and it will be at a later date. I’m also predicting it will be Mario, but if it turns out not to be, it means that something internally happened and we went a different direction. 

There, now I’m as much of an insider as every other single person who has commented on Auburn’s head coaching search. You can all worship me now. I’ll wait.

Bo Jackson part of eight-person Auburn search committee

ByPHILLIP MARSHALL 

AUBURN, Alabama – For the second time, Auburn icon and former Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson will help decide on Auburn’s next head football coach. Jackson is one of seven members of a committee chosen by president Jay Gogue to search for a replacement for former head coach Gus Malzahn, who was fired on Sunday.

Athletics director Allen Greene will chair the committee that also includes Gen. Ronald Burgess, the university’s chief operating officer; executive associate athletics director for development Tim Jackson; trustee and former All-SEC Auburn linebacker Quentin Riggins; former Auburn quarterback Randy Campbell; faculty athletics representative Beverly Marshall; and, representing the alumni association, Michelle McKenna-Doyle. She was a candidate for the athletics director’s job when Greene was hired and is senior vice-president and chief information officer for the National Football League.

10110779.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off (Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

Bo Jackson, who has privately expressed his strong support for defensive coordinator and interim head coach Kevin Steele, was also on the committee that that chose Malzahn to follow Gene Chizik in December of 2012.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not worried. I am perplexed.

If hiring a search committee is a part of the process, then I accept this as being nothing more than a part of that process. But, why wait on Tuesday to announce a formality? Why allow 48 hours of wild and rampant speculation before announcing a search committee? It seems to me that this should have been announced on Sunday. It should have been planned two weeks ago that it would be announced on Sunday. It's baffling to me. 

My only guess would be that it's out of respect to Gus. Don't make it look like we were already that far past him. But that is 100% a guess. 

As for the 48 hours of wild and rampant speculation, that's on the fans IMO. Not to mention I'm not sure that these announcements would do anything to curb that. 

And perhaps the simplest answer is that Oregon getting the surprise nod for the PAC 12 championship is the only reason that they're not making an announcement of a very different sort today. (I realize that runs counter to all the reasoning for a search firm announcement, but it's possible that they could have just said that their services were used afterward.)

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I

There, now I’m as much of an insider as every other single person who has commented on Auburn’s head coaching search. You can all worship me now. I’ll wait.

Power broker?

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m predicting we hear something tonight. And if not tonight that means something happened to mess up the timeline and it will be at a later date. I’m also predicting it will be Mario, but if it turns out not to be, it means that something internally happened and we went a different direction. 

Stretchypants!

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

Bo Jackson part of eight-person Auburn search committee

ByPHILLIP MARSHALL 

AUBURN, Alabama – For the second time, Auburn icon and former Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson will help decide on Auburn’s next head football coach. Jackson is one of seven members of a committee chosen by president Jay Gogue to search for a replacement for former head coach Gus Malzahn, who was fired on Sunday.

Athletics director Allen Greene will chair the committee that also includes Gen. Ronald Burgess, the university’s chief operating officer; executive associate athletics director for development Tim Jackson; trustee and former All-SEC Auburn linebacker Quentin Riggins; former Auburn quarterback Randy Campbell; faculty athletics representative Beverly Marshall; and, representing the alumni association, Michelle McKenna-Doyle. She was a candidate for the athletics director’s job when Greene was hired and is senior vice-president and chief information officer for the National Football League.

10110779.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off (Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

Bo Jackson, who has privately expressed his strong support for defensive coordinator and interim head coach Kevin Steele, was also on the committee that that chose Malzahn to follow Gene Chizik in December of 2012.

Promoting that good ole boy system 

2 hours ago, AUbritt said:

Betting odds favor Freeze.

earlier they favored steele im glad i havent visited much today lol these rumors are something else , y'all stay safe out ive been on the road since 11 fixin to get the wifes christmas present, only thing she wont tell me what mine is :(

Serious question:  Is it not worth a phone call to Urban Meyer to gauge interest in the Auburn job?  Even if he is here for only 4 years that would be better than an unknown during that time.  Realistically, what kind of a Coach (name wise) could we bring in that we KNOW will compete with Saban, Smart, Fisher etc.?  Cristobal and Napier are unproven (SEC) knowns.

1 minute ago, Sthrndream said:

Serious question:  Is it not worth a phone call to Urban Meyer to gauge interest in the Auburn job? 

What makes you think that didn't occur already? 

2 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I wonder if all these people wanting Steele as permanent HC have asked him about it. Last I heard he was not interested in being a HC and was getting ready to retire. It is a smokescreen.

holding ya to it!

Archived