Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

6 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

You see Bo is gonna take the HC position himself and then pick Steele as his DC again.  

Only “Bo Knows”!

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sthrndream said:

Serious question:  Is it not worth a phone call to Urban Meyer to gauge interest in the Auburn job?  Even if he is here for only 4 years that would be better than an unknown during that time.  Realistically, what kind of a Coach (name wise) could we bring in that we KNOW will compete with Saban, Smart, Fisher etc.?  Cristobal and Napier are unproven (SEC) knowns.

Urban literally just turned down Texas a week ago.

Auburn ain't got **** on Texas.

Just now, McLoofus said:

My only guess would be that it's out of respect to Gus. Don't make it look like we were already that far past him. But that is 100% a guess. 

I understand not announcing a replacement on Sunday out of respect for Gus, but again, if this is a formality, you announce it straight out of the gate. I do not see the wisdom in waiting, at all. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for the 48 hours of wild and rampant speculation, that's on the fans IMO. Not to mention I'm not sure that these announcements would do anything to curb that. 

Perhaps announcing a search committee on Sunday wouldn't quell speculation about who would be hired, but I think it would have helped quell speculation about who is making these decisions, and how that process is being handled. I think it would have helped engender confidence in the process. Fans are going to yap all day long about what coach Auburn should hire, but the leaks about fractured leadership, and power struggles between boosters are ridiculous. 

If Auburn has had a plan - and this is all a part of their plan - someone ought to be fired. I appreciate those of you trying to make all of this look reasonable. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And perhaps the simplest answer is that Oregon getting the surprise nod for the PAC 12 championship is the only reason that they're not making an announcement of a very different sort today. (I realize that runs counter to all the reasoning for a search firm announcement, but it's possible that they could have just said that their services were used afterward.)

Basically what I was going to say. 

Again, I appreciate that you are trying to offer reasonable explanations for what's happening. I can usually see the logical side of things. I don't see it here. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I understand not announcing a replacement on Sunday out of respect for Gus, but again, if this is a formality, you announce it straight out of the gate. I do not see the wisdom in waiting, at all. 

Perhaps announcing a search committee on Sunday wouldn't quell speculation about who would be hired, but I think it would have helped quell speculation about who is making these decisions, and how that process is being handled. I think it would have helped engender confidence in the process. Fans are going to yap all day long about what coach Auburn should hire, but the leaks about fractured leadership, and power struggles between boosters are ridiculous. 

If Auburn has had a plan - and this is all a part of their plan - someone ought to be fired. I appreciate those of you trying to make all of this look reasonable. 

Again, I appreciate that you are trying to offer reasonable explanations for what's happening. I can usually see the logical side of things. I don't see it here. 

Can't argue with any of that. While I don't understand those fans who are freaking out about the content of these announcements, you're right that they are legion and that the university/PTB should have taken that into consideration.  I  had certainly hoped that Greene would make PR a strength for the AD.

“One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothing can beat teamwork.”
 Edward Abbey, The Monkey Wrench Gang.  You may substitute committee for teamwork.  I don't know why you pay an AD a good salary to be in charge of athletics and then default to a committee when there is a vacancy in one of the major sports.  Did we have a committee when we hired a new VB coach or SB coach?   The AD should have a list at hand especially when a change can be anticipated.  Having a committee is a way to deflect blame if your decision turns out to be flawed.  "Hey, I took the advice of the committee".

Maybe he breaks it like this 😁

After Oregon wins the game Friday ...

Reporter: Mario, you just won the conference title, what are you going to do? Disneyland?

MC: Heck no, I'm going to Auburn.  War Eagle!

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don’t think those in charge of this hiring give a 🐀 arse about what we think as fans/alumni and are just gonna do what they’re gonna do. Driving me crazy 😜 

1 hour ago, ToomersRevenge said:

You can say that, but barring a miracle from Steele, promoting him and seeing similarly lackluster performance next year would pretty much change apathy to purposeful neglect on many people’s part. 

And make no mistake it doesn’t look like this year’s recruiting will be stellar so I don’t know what else would change there to give us hope that the team overall will improve depth wise

1. It won't be Steele.

2. We need a CULTURE change. This goes far beyond small potatoes of a few recruits. That's why Gus had to go.

3 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Supposedly, MC is out of contention

Link?

1 minute ago, toddc said:

I don’t think those in charge of this hiring give a 🐀 arse about what we think as fans/alumni and are just gonna do what they’re gonna do. Driving me crazy 😜 

why should they?  all we do is support the entire edifice 😉

19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Urban literally just turned down Texas a week ago.

Auburn ain't got **** on Texas.

Depends on your value system. Auburn has a better conference and tougher competition than Texas. Not saying Urban is coming, just saying I wish people would stop viewing athletic professions like normal professions. Pro coaches and players want to play the best and be the best, they aren't looking for ease in their occupation. Otherwise, Mahomes would go to the CFL and all the best recruits would play in the Sun Belt. 

12 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Supposedly, MC is out of contention

According to? Literally haven't heard this from anyone credible.

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Depends on your value system. Auburn has a better conference and tougher competition than Texas. Not saying Urban is coming, just saying I wish people would stop viewing athletic professions like normal professions. Pro coaches and players want to play the best and be the best, they aren't looking for ease in their occupation. Otherwise, Mahomes would go to the CFL and all the best recruits would play in the Sun Belt. 

I'm talking money bro.  If Texas couldn't land him, we sure as hell can't.

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I like Bill Clark he's a good coach but Napier is better than him. UAB hasn't had a player drafted by the NFL since 2015. They've yet to have a player drafted since they brought the program back in 2017.

Napier had 3 NFL draft picks in the 2020 NFL draft. That speaks to recruiting and development.

Look around the current SEC HC's previous jobs:

Nick Saban - Miami Dolphins, LSU, Michigan State

Sam Pittman - UGA O-line coach, Arkansas O-line coach

Jimbo Fisher - Florida State

Lane Kiffin - Florida Atlantic, USC, Tennessee,

Mike Leach - Washington State, Texas Tech

Ed Orgeron - Ole Miss

Mark Stoops - Florida State DC

Jeremy Pruitt - Alabama DC

Eli Drinkwitz - 1 year at App State

Dan Mullen - Miss State

Kirby Smart - Alabama DC

Clark Lea - Notre Dame DC

Shane Beamer - Oklahoma TE coach

Literally half of the current SEC coaches were less proven than Napier is right now when they were hired.

Yes, but most of these coaches are not that good. The ones that are were established, well known guys when they were hired. Gus was fired because we people want the bar raised. This hire HAS to be a slam dunk, or it at least has to yield the level of success that Gus had. Napier hasn’t done enough to have that kind of confidence.

I think the thought of Kevin Steele has made everyone suddenly okay with whomever they hire as long as it isn't Kevin Steele. Could that be the reason for all the Kevin Steele smoke? 🤣

Archived