Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

After the back room KS rumors and things former players have said, I hope gus gets a dope gig then comes and kicks our lame duck coaches ass

Why do back room rumors absolve Gus of 7 years of horrible coaching decisions? Yeah-no, Gus got himself fired and the only part that is unfortunate is that it didn't happen sooner.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

I don't feel like we will hire Sark.  Or Kiffin.  I think we are clearly in the Napier/Brown/Clark/Elliot/Venebales group now. 

Neal brown and bill clarke should be dead ass last in this group when it comes to the people making those decisions. Both those dudes would get eaten alive in the cutthroat sec recruiting world.

I can't stand neal brown chicken s*** short passing offense either. If you thought AU threw a lot of screens before just wait if neal brown got the job.

1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

Jboy thinks it will now possibly be 

1. Sark

2. Will Muschamp

3. Billy Napier

4. Lane Kiffin

5. Neal Brown

says he thinks Neal brown has a small chance thinks Napier hype has died down but doesnt rule out him getting a look, says a small chance Kiffin could be a candidate but not much info on if hes serious about wanting the job or just looking for a raise says if Kiffin interview he will most likely get the job

J boy is losing credibility . Will Muschamp? 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Please please pleaaaaaaseeeeee stop with this sark stuff. He's got the bama OC glow on him. He looks a lot better than reality. It's basically a football version of hallow shal!!! It's not real!!! Lol. He is not a good recruiter. We must put a premium on great recruiter. I'm all in on the elliott express choo choo bitches!!!!

I truly think Sark is a worse option than Steele. Mind you, Steele is a 0/10 and Sark is a -6/10.

I've concluded that no one knows anything and this whole thing has been speculation from the jump. AU will likely hire someone that hasn't been talked about much (if at all) and there will be a lot of pissed off fans. I still don't see it being Steele, because if that were the case, I really don't know why they are waiting. 

2 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

1. Sark

2. Will Muschamp

3. Billy Napier

4. Lane Kiffin

5. Neal Brown

says he thinks Neal brown has a small chance thinks Napier hype has died down but doesnt rule out him getting a look, says a small chance Kiffin could be a candidate but not much info on if hes serious about wanting the job or just looking for a raise says if Kiffin interview he will most likely get the job

This is...no...

Muschamp??? Come on. 

If this is the list I'm going with Brown. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I like Elliot too . My concern is zero head coaching experience . I think he just recently got full time coordinator duties too. But he might be our Dabo. I like the idea of Napier big time! Like I said there is still potential out here.

I am totally fine taking a chance on a dude if they don't have head coaching experience if they have a background as a great recruiter. Elliot and Nape have that. It's def a plus that Napier has head coaching experience but I would hope he gives up play calling duties because his offense leaves a lot to be desired.

Some very emotional reactions flying around.

We just missed on a coach who managed to lose what was effectively a bowl-type game to GUS and Bo at a neutral site with a senior, future NFL rookie season starter at QB. I know he was the popular choice, but I’m not sure we really lost as much as some think here. 

There are still other quality names on the board, if unproven, including Napier. Time to take a chance on someone with high upside. 

So we want Lane Kiffen because he's an offensive genius? Feels like I've heard this one before...

And we want Sark why? Because he's an offensive gen... Yeah same song, different verse.

Plan B should be Napier or Clark, someone who has shown can run a program. Not just run an effective scheme...

Just now, Browning4AU said:

I've concluded that no one knows anything and this whole thing has been speculation from the jump. AU will likely hire someone that hasn't been talked about much (if at all) and there will be a lot of pissed off fans. I still don't see it being Steele, because if that were the case, I really don't know why they are waiting. 

'Give me Kiffin or give me Google!!'   -not Nathan Hale

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Neal brown and bill clarke should be dead ass last in this group when it comes to the people making those decisions. Both those dudes would get eaten alive in the cutthroat sec recruiting world.

I can't stand neal brown chicken s*** short passing offense either. If you thought AU threw a lot of screens before just wait if neal brown got the job.

We rarely disagree Gwill but I like Brown.  I haven't watched much of him at WVU but I did at Troy and I didn't see that much screen passing lol.  Hell I don't know at this point it feels like we are rolling the dice with anyone. 

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

So we want Lane Kiffen because he's an offensive genius? Feels like I've heard this one before...

And we want Sark why? Because he's an offensive gen... Yeah same song, different verse.

Plan B should be Napier or Clark, someone who has shown can run a program. Not just run an effective scheme...

Bill Clark should be a last resort IMO. 

Hahaha Muschamp! We are gonna hire a coach that South Carolina fired for not winning enough. We are the bottom of the SEC now! Welcome to the new reality!

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

We rarely disagree Gwill but I like Brown.  I haven't watched much of him at WVU but I did at Troy and I didn't see that much screen passing lol.  Hell I don't know at this point it feels like we are rolling the dice with anyone. 

I admit from the surface level I am not impressed with Neal but I admittedly don’t know  a lot about him. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am totally fine taking a chance on a dude if they don't have head coaching experience if they have a background as a great recruiter. Elliot and Nape have that.

Exactly how I feel. I’m a Napier fan because I think he’s a no nonsense guy and he can recruit. He’s done a great job at UL. 

5 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

1. Sark

2. Will Muschamp

3. Billy Napier

4. Lane Kiffin

5. Neal Brown

I hope #2 is a bad joke.   I love the guy as a DC but he's wreck when it comes to being a HC

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

His offense is the least of my worries. Not a strong enough recruiter. That's all I care about is getting the absolute best recruiter we can who is also qualified. I have watched west virginia a few times the past 2 years and it's heavy on the screen game. 

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

What I want to know is, are any of our insiders here still preaching patience?

And this is a serious question.

Well we should definitely need to be patient now and vet as hell. Interview as you should and follow the process. The class is effed anyhow. But I do hope they got several candidates lined up 

Archived