Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, wcware said:

I agree. I want the culture of Auburn to grow with the times. They want to stay stuck in the past.

A chance of a cultural change is the biggest thing we whiffed in IMO. That’s the thing I’m maddest about. I wasn’t gung-ho on Mario’s coaching. I just really believed he’d bring in something NEW and REFRESHING. I think Napier would too. So would Kiffin. Which is why I think they’d be adamant against them. Auburn doesn’t want change. It’s fine with being tier two. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Why would Lane come here? Lolol. MSU and UM basically got their first guy off the rip. Auburn obviously ain’t as alluring as we think. We looking with blue and orange glasses. 

Bingo! We're not as appealing as most think. They all know we finally learned a lesson.  No more ridiculous buyouts. And   we fire a coach who has been here for 8 years with clean program without having a losing season and is generally respected and considered maybe 3rd or 4th best in SEC. We might get a Thank You card and Christmas from Cristobal family.

Maybe this is a 2 coach process. Get an average guy in just to fix us up a little then try to find the real guy a year or 2 later

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

It’s still a great job. Big money best conference. I think people get caught up in rumor and conjecture. Now that things have flamed on Mario, it seems Auburn wants to eat their own and blame this person and that person. Boosters exist and influence every big time coaching hire. The problem is Auburn boosters can’t do it without the world knowing. 

But do all boosters fudge it up as bad as Auburn’s has? 

Just now, cole256 said:

Maybe this is a 2 coach process. Get an average guy in just to fix us up a little then try to find the real guy a year or 2 later

There are still quality coaches out there. People just got too emotional connected with their candidate 

27 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I just don't see it being Kiffin, Sark or Freeze so to me we are down to Napier, Clark or Neal Brown.  

Not sure I wouldn’t prefer the latter anyway.  

Man who remembers being able to be proud of your team and you knew the team at the least will always be decent? 

I can't remember the last time I talked trash and laughed at somebody else's team....

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

A chance of a cultural change is the biggest thing we whiffed in IMO. That’s the thing I’m maddest about. I wasn’t gung-ho on Mario’s coaching. I just really believed he’d bring in something NEW and REFRESHING. I think Napier would too. So would Kiffin. Which is why I think they’d be adamant against them. Auburn doesn’t want change. It’s fine with being tier two. 

I agree.  I want a staff mentality that says, “we put guys in the NFL, that is what we do”. Tough nosed and no-nonsense,  Lunch box work ethic mentality and swag because we earned it on the field

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

It’s still a great job. Big money best conference. I think people get caught up in rumor and conjecture. Now that things have flamed on Mario, it seems Auburn wants to eat their own and blame this person and that person. Boosters exist and influence every big time coaching hire. The problem is Auburn boosters can’t do it without the world knowing. 

If they would do this stuff, but instead hire the best available none of us would care.

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

"Just a football coach" works in the conference he's currently in. That doesn't fly in the SEC. 

Given that or promoting Kevin Steele, I think he'd be a major upgrade. 

We fired a coach for $21 million with no plan already in place. Let that sink in....

This has been going on my entire life. From the coup to fire Terry Bowden, jet gate, hiring a coach that was 5-19 from Iowa State, and finally hiring Malzahn over Kirby Smart. 

No leadership. No one with the wisdom and experience to make these decisions. Power hungry millionaires making the decisions, too, and on & on it goes...

It’s very simple... Hire the best President of the University that you can afford. Give him the authority to go out and hire the very best AD that you can afford. Give him the authority to hire the very best coach that you can afford. Period. 

Let the man do his job! The AD should be making the hire. A booster should not be making this hire. If you don’t feel like the current AD is qualified to make this hire. Then go hire an AD that is. This is a freaking circus!

Just now, dilligas said:

Not sure I wouldn’t prefer the latter anyway.  

Its all a crap shoot honestly.  Outside of a couple of guys who are not coming to Auburn we really won't know for a couple of years how good they will be.  Even with Cristobal we really don't know.  I like Brown and I think he might do well at Auburn. 

27 minutes ago, wcware said:

I’m done with hope. No way we get anyone of his caliber to come here. We are the worst place to coach in college football right now. Coup attempts, meddling BOT members..... the list goes on and on

MC’s caliber?  He’s a step down from Gus.  Hasn’t done anything special at Oregon.   A great recruiter but not a great coach.

Just now, CameronCrazy said:

We fired a coach for $21 million with no plan already in place. Let that sink in....

This is what bothers me the most. The most blatant lie was we have our guy. No we didn’t . There clearly was no plan or at least no unanimous decision when Gus was fired. That is what gets me 

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

Its all a crap shoot honestly.  Outside of a couple of guys who are not coming to Auburn we really won't know for a couple of years how good they will be.  Even with Cristobal we really don't know.  I like Brown and I think he might do well at Auburn. 

I like Napier. I just want a guy who has shown to be successful with years of head coaching experience and hungry to get the job done . 

First post - first (of many prob) question: Wouldn't the buyout have dropped if Auburn waited until after January 1? Foolish question now but if MC wasn't coming what was the rush to fire Gus? Maybe let him finish the early signing period then "evaluate" his job after the first of the year.

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

DING DING DING DING DING

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I agree.  I want a staff mentality that says, “we put guys in the NFL, that is what we do”. Tough nosed and no-nonsense,  Lunch box work ethic mentality and swag because we earned it on the field

Exactly. A campus and “family” atmosphere does not sell like them draft picks do. We have our quirks and it looks like we’re about to die by then. 

18 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

Lane Kiffin isn’t coming. He will use AU for a raise. 

Let’s focus on who can truly get. 
Napier or Sark. 

Why do you think lane is an absolute no? I don’t think there is anyone who wants to bring down Saban more. It’s an opportunity to play him every year with a better program than he’s in now. 

3 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

This has been going on my entire life. From the coup to fire Terry Bowden, jet gate, hiring a coach that was 5-19 from Iowa State, and finally hiring Malzahn over Kirby Smart. 

No leadership. No one with the wisdom and experience to make these decisions. Power hungry millionaires making the decisions, too, and on & on it goes...

It’s very simple... Hire the best President of the University that you can afford. Give him the authority to go out and hire the very best AD that you can afford. Give him the authority to hire the very best coach that you can afford. Period. 

Let the man do his job! The AD should be making the hire. A booster should not be making this hire. If you don’t feel like the current AD is qualified to make this hire. Then go hire an AD that is. This is a freaking circus!

We had a plan....the PTB just AUBURNED it. 

Archived