Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, wulfgar said:

First post - first (of many prob) question: Wouldn't the buyout have dropped if Auburn waited until after January 1? Foolish question now but if MC wasn't coming what was the rush to fire Gus? Maybe let him finish the early signing period then "evaluate" his job after the first of the year.

That would make too much sense.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 minute ago, wulfgar said:

First post - first (of many prob) question: Wouldn't the buyout have dropped if Auburn waited until after January 1? Foolish question now but if MC wasn't coming what was the rush to fire Gus? Maybe let him finish the early signing period then "evaluate" his job after the first of the year.

great questions

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Maybe this is a 2 coach process. Get an average guy in just to fix us up a little then try to find the real guy a year or 2 later

I thought that was the plan with Terry Bowden...but he won and screwed it all up.  Spitballing...what if that was the plan again with Chizik...Jacobs really just wanted to bring in and groom Gus?

Gotta be kidding. Are Napier or Clark worth 21 M? Remember Terry Bowden hire because money was tight after payouts. We had no choice there. This is of our own making.  Knee-jerk reaction with no plan in place

Just now, AUDevil said:

I thought that was the plan with Terry Bowden...but he won and screwed it all up.  Spitballing...what if that was the plan again with Chizik...Jacobs really just wanted to bring in and groom Gus?

i think yall might be giving the PTB too much credit.

11 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

This makes Tennessee look competent

I wouldn’t go there yet... now if this drags for 2 weeks.....

Just now, autigeremt said:

We had a plan....the PTB just AUBURNED it. 

There was no plan. They had an idea to probably get MC. The thing is I don’t MC was ever coming here. I do think he used the vacant position to settle himself well with Oregon, however. 

Just now, fasttimes said:

i think yall might be giving the PTB too much credit.

Clearly.  But the Terry Bowden part I've heard countless times over the years.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Maybe this is a 2 coach process. Get an average guy in just to fix us up a little then try to find the real guy a year or 2 later

The problem you have with that is we are, by far, the best open gig right now.  May not be the case again in the future.  Strike now.

7 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Not sure I wouldn’t prefer the latter anyway.  

I would be excited to see Clark get it and to see what he can do with the resources and money. 

Just now, DAG said:

There was no plan. They had an idea to probably get MC. The thing is I don’t MC was ever coming here. I do think he used the vacant position to settle himself well with Oregon, however. 

We've been cultivating that job two years....but it doesn't matter anyway. We have no leadership. 

Just now, DAG said:

and if folks don;t think any talk of kiffin isn't the exact same thing, i don't know what to tell them.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

No

And I personally wouldn’t want him if he did this after his statement about Oregon. I believe in being a man or woman that honors your word. I wanted him before the announcement, but would be all out now.

Just now, DAG said:

Coaches that are coming up for extensions probably love it when other coaches are fired.  Gives them opportunity to play the game.

37 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Let’s face it folks. Nobody wants to come coach this loser a** football program with a chicken s**t administration and rat **** boosters. 

Yep, Folks, I've spent of this week sitting right here and I am amazed that I am as stupid as I am to expect the AU administration to anything but **** up!!!! I am probably done with AU football in the future and thats not idle talk. I just can't fathom that men and women with that much education, that much money are as self,stubborn,jealous and just pure stupid as these folks at AU are. As soon as Gus was fired, I had hope that things were looking up, but the jackasses at AU pulled the football away and my Charley Brown ass fell for it again. I'm seething right now

It is mind boggling how inept and incompetent the Administration and/or PTB have been for decades when it comes to AU athletics.  I am a life-long AU fan, but these idiots make it hard to remain an AU football fan.  

I would like to see what these boosters would think about someone stepping into their business and leading the decision making process with only surface level knowledge. You think Jimmy Rane would let someone make decisions at Yellawood just because they've used pressure treated pine before? 

26 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

Lane Kiffin isn’t coming. He will use AU for a raise. 

Let’s focus on who can truly get. 
Napier or Sark. 

I dont disagree, I do think Auburn is more attractive though AND honestly, we should be leaking this out to every decent coordinator or head coach. Bump the price for other schools

Auburn hired Terry Bowden as a stop gap to get them through the probation due to the Eric Ramsey situation. The part about screwing it up by winning coming out of the gate is absolutely correct.  He was always meant to be a short term fix.

it isnt gonna drag on for two weeks I DONT THINK  but if is true the Steele folks dont know who to hire now then who knows? IMO more likely than not we will have a HC announced sometime sunday after lunch , if not then most certainly early-late Monday

Go get Sarkisian and call it a day if nothing else... the guy is ready to be a head coach again. Probably be better than Kiffin to be honest. 

I’m starting to think our administration and boosters are to head coaches what Gus was to coordinators. Why would anyone leave their current job to work for Auburn? I swear rich people and especially people in power are some of the dumbest people on the planet

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

I'm doubting he ever even had an offer at this point. Sounding more like some more PTB inside move BS. I've had enough of these guys.

Archived