Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

I think the gut reaction to losing out on MC is more about perception than anything.  It seems like our best chance to "win the press conference" was with him.  Anyone else we hire I think people feel like it will seem like a letdown even if its not in reality.  Truth is Cristobal may be a great HC and we may look back in a few years and be even more upset if he wins big at Oregon but we don't know for sure that he will be great.  

Just like if we hire Napier it may not "win the press conference" but he may turn out to be a great HC and win a ton at Auburn.  

We should understandably be frustrated with our PTB but maybe we also shouldn't overreact to losing out on a coach we aren't even sure about.  Just my two pennies. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

I'm doubting he ever even had an offer at this point. Sounding more like some more PTB inside move BS. I've had enough of these guys.

Then that will make a lot of insiders liars 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is what bothers me the most. The most blatant lie was we have our guy. No we didn’t . There clearly was no plan or at least no unanimous decision when Gus was fired. That is what gets me 

Shoot, ready, aim

2 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’m starting to think our administration and boosters are to head coaches what Gus was to coordinators. Why would anyone leave their current job to work for Auburn? I swear rich people and especially people in power are some of the dumbest people on the planet

there was one guy we were going to hire at AD once but he was denied because he was going to do a full house cleaning on some of the rats here at Auburn, i believe hes an NFL gm now

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good ole boy system. He is chummy with them. He is in position to be a HC. That’s pretty much all it takes . But I think there is a reason why he is not the HC. Others don’t agree

So, it seems they would rather have some “sway” with a second or third tier program rather than no “sway” with a top tier program... what exactly do they get out of this relationship? What “sway” could they possibly have? Are they really that egotistical that they think they can run the program better than our HC’s that have been eating, breathing, and sleeping high level football for 30 years. I’m not a smart man, but even I know that you don’t hire an accountant and then tell them how to do your taxes.

1 minute ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’m starting to think our administration and boosters are to head coaches what Gus was to coordinators. Why would anyone leave their current job to work for Auburn? I swear rich people and especially people in power are some of the dumbest people on the planet

The issue is that they're not dumb. These guys have been EXTREMELY successful at most of the things they've done in their lives. Hence, they're multi millionaires. The issue is that just because you're successful at certain things does not qualify you to be successful in hiring a leader of a football program 

Just now, GTAnderson.256 said:

So, it seems they would rather have some “sway” with a second or third tier program rather than no “sway” with a top tier program... what exactly do they get out of this relationship? What “sway” could they possibly have? Are they really that egotistical that they think they can run the program better than our HC’s that have been eating, breathing, and sleeping high level football for 30 years. I’m not a smart man, but even I know that you don’t hire an accountant and then tell them how to do your taxes.

Relevancy and power. This is really not a Hard concept. This stuff happens all the time at different organization level. 

Just now, DAG said:

Relevancy and power. This is really not a Hard concept. This stuff happens all the time at different organization level. 

I would also add this isn't relegated to Auburn.  There are a lot of big time programs that have these issues but we seem to get more press about ours.  Plus, and I swear I'm not a media conspiracy theorist in most things, but it does seem the media at large has more disdain for Auburn than any other program and revels in promoting our shortcomings.  

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Just to be clear, I’m not arguing with you. I agree with what you are saying, it just blows my mind that they would rather have this “sway” than a competitive program. 

1 minute ago, GTAnderson.256 said:

Just to be clear, I’m not arguing with you. I agree with what you are saying, it just blows my mind that they would rather have this “sway” than a competitive program. 

Once you accept it you have officially passed "Auburn Football 101" 

8 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I think the gut reaction to losing out on MC is more about perception than anything.  It seems like our best chance to "win the press conference" was with him.  Anyone else we hire I think people feel like it will seem like a letdown even if its not in reality. 

if you feel let down now, wait till you see KS at the microphone.

Please please pleaaaaaaseeeeee stop with this sark stuff. He's got the bama OC glow on him. He looks a lot better than reality. It's basically a football version of hallow shal!!! It's not real!!! Lol. He is not a good recruiter. We must put a premium on great recruiter. I'm all in on the elliott express choo choo bitches!!!!

Dude they are pushing Kevin Steele that way whatever coach we get everyone is going to be excited and thankful as long as it’s not him lol. scheming sons a bi***es.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Please please pleaaaaaaseeeeee stop with this sark stuff. He's got the bama OC glow on him. He looks a lot better than reality. It's basically a football version of hallow shal!!! It's not real!!! Lol. He is not a good recruiter. We must put a premium on great recruiter. I'm all in on the elliott express choo choo bitches!!!!

I don't feel like we will hire Sark.  Or Kiffin.  I think we are clearly in the Napier/Brown/Clark/Elliot/Venebales group now. 

After the back room KS rumors and things former players have said, I hope gus gets a dope gig then comes and kicks our lame duck coaches ass

Edit: I say this as someone who has never been a fine of his hire and wanted him gone since 15

Jboy thinks it will now possibly be 

1. Sark

2. Will Muschamp

3. Billy Napier

4. Lane Kiffin

5. Neal Brown

says he thinks Neal brown has a small chance thinks Napier hype has died down but doesnt rule out him getting a look, says a small chance Kiffin could be a candidate but not much info on if hes serious about wanting the job or just looking for a raise says if Kiffin interview he will most likely get the job

53 minutes ago, wcware said:

You are right but I don’t think we need to forget what apparently they did to Gus. 

Gus Malzahn did 115% of the work to get himself fired. Let's never, ever, ever, ever frame this as a "coup" or that Gus got unfairly pushed out. He was failed for reasons completely self-inflicted.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I like Elliot too . My concern is zero head coaching experience . I think he just recently got full time coordinator duties too. But he might be our Dabo. I like the idea of Napier big time! Like I said there is still potential out here.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tony Elliot huh?

89EDD9FD-B4B6-4574-8BAE-9E9B419ED307.gif

1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

Jboy thinks it will now possibly be 

1. Sark

2. Will Muschamp

3. Billy Napier

4. Lane Kiffin

5. Neal Brown

says he thinks Neal brown has a small chance thinks Napier hype has died down but doesnt rule out him getting a look, says a small chance Kiffin could be a candidate but not much info on if hes serious about wanting the job or just looking for a raise says if Kiffin interview he will most likely get the job

Are these in order of who he thinks is most likely? I can't believe Muschamp would be up that high

Archived