Tom Herman...OC Candidate

WDE_OxPx_2010

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

He wouldn’t be long term . 

Who is these days? I think 2-3 years is about all you can expect. 

3 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Who is these days? I think 2-3 years is about all you can expect. 

That's the life of a coach. You're moving every 2-3 years for the most part.

He was a pretty successful head coach in the AAC so I don't know that he would necessarily feel like he has to take a P5 coordinator job over an G5 head coaching position (should one open up in the next few days or possibly next year).

I think Alabama would call him before we would, but it’s be a fun acquisition. Would do a good job of maintaining the Texas pipeline 

Only thing is he comes from that Urban philosophy where you just keep hiring either guys you already worked with or clones of those same styles. He had like 3 different OCs who ran that damn QB power based offense with Ehlinger. 

25 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Their AD said two weeks ago he was staying, they win the bowl, and he’s fired. Then they turn and hire a new coach in less than a day. This was all in the works.

Exactly . Kind of how I expected ours to go lol 

Would his offensive style fit with Harsin's? I don't see him being a stickler for a particular style, like Gus was, but I'd think he'd want to maintain some consistency in system for recruiting and development purposes.

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's the life of a coach. You're moving every 2-3 years for the most part.

Agree. My point is, you can’t hire based on long term expectations, rather maximizing the short time you have them. Then keep a list of potential replacements.

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

Kind of how I expected ours to go lol

Respectfully why would ours be expected that way? When has AU ever done things like this, at least in public perception, smoothly? Our normal time in days between firing-hiring a football HC is 9-10 days on average.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Respectfully why would ours be expected that way? When has AU ever done things like this, at least in public perception, smoothly? Our normal time in days between firing-hiring a football HC is 9-10 days on average.

Respectfully, because I like to give our new AD and leadership the benefit of a doubt. If the expectation wasn’t going to be that then we shouldn’t have been feeding into in the beginning like it was. 

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Would Tom Herman be a candidate for OC?

No. Having a taste of a HC, at his age, he will only take another HC job.

No way he goes back to OC just bc of Tex cutting him loose.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No. Having a taste of a HC, at his age, he will only take another HC job.

No way he goes back to OC just bc of Tex cutting him loose.

Sarkisian is older than Hermann and for a decade has successfully bounced back & forth between major program HC gigs and OC.

Archived