Tracy Rocker -- DL Coach

W.E.D

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Just because he wasn’t before doesn’t mean he can’t now. 

If he don’t like recruiting why would he all of a sudden change? 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Are you ever happy?

Yes actually. Love Derek Mason. Love Caddy coming back. Like the Etheridge hire but there's stuff to be proven there. The Schmedding guy I'm okay with. Will Friend I love as a recruiter and I think Bedelll helps develop there.

I'm mostly happy with what we have.

I think Bobo is meh as a playcaller but awesome as a recruiter so I'm neutral there.

Plenty happy just skeptical when there appears to be better options. 

He’s one of the more accomplished defensive line coaches in college football. He’s a solid recruiter and a great evaluator of talent. Rocker has coached at Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Georgia and Tennessee, along with the Gamecocks. At his six previous stops, he signed and developed players of impact. During a pandemic cycle through a coaching transition, Rocker still managed to land and hold on to in-state defensive tackle T.J. Sandersout of Marion for the Gamecocks. One of the great things about Rocker like most outstanding defensive line coaches- he can take a great prospect and make him an elite college player and he can take a good prospect and make him a great college player.

Profile on Rocker from a USCe writer 

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He didn't. We'd need someone else landing the recruits. He's a developer for sure but not a recruiter at all.

He recruited some great players to AU. Corey Lemonier and Nick Fairley come immediately to mind. Rocker doesn't like recruiting but that doesn't mean he's no good at it.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He hates doing it. That doesn't change.

I see this all the time.  Rocker hates recruiting.   Where does this come from?   

Other than internet message  boards I have never seen anything  from Rocker that he hates recruiting. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Yes actually. Love Derek Mason. Love Caddy coming back. Like the Etheridge hire but there's stuff to be proven there. The Schmedding guy I'm okay with. Will Friend I love as a recruiter and I think Bedelll helps develop there.

I'm mostly happy with what we have.

I think Bobo is meh as a playcaller but awesome as a recruiter so I'm neutral there.

Plenty happy just skeptical when there appears to be better options. 

Being skeptical and having daily meltdowns are different lol 

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He recruited some great players to AU. Corey Lemonier and Nick Fairley come immediately to mind. Rocker doesn't like recruiting but that doesn't mean he's no good at it.

Pretty sure Fairley was a Juco resign that was already in the pipeline before Rocker got here in 2009

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I see this all the time.  Rocker hates recruiting.   Where does this come from?   

Other than internet message  boards I have never seen anything  from Rocker that he hates recruiting. 

Do you expect him to give an interview and tell the world he hates the #2 part of his job?

If I recall, and I'm sure someone will correct me if (they think) I'm wrong, but isn't Rocker supposed to be great closing with the kids once they're on campus? I remember the fact he hated going on the recruiting trail, which sucks, but as I recall he's able to close the deal once they're on the Plains. No doubt about his coaching abilities. Maybe not ideal since CZE doesn't have proven recruiting chops yet, but I think I can live with this.

Fun fact:  Auburn’s Qb Bo Nix is the son of Auburn legend Patrick Nix.  Bo and Patrick both attended the 2011 National championship game that Tracy Rocker coached in.  There’s even a picture of Bo with Cam at the game.  

I like this hire.  Not everyone on the staff needs to be a recruiting guru.  Garner brought in good recruits but ran a lot of them off with his tough love. 

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

that is not evidence.   Try again

So something that's been around since he was at Arkansas, and given as the prime reason he left college for the Titans....that's just not enough.  We need Rocker to say it himself.

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Being skeptical and having daily meltdowns are different lol 

Meltdowns a little dramatic. Just not a fan of a coach we've already had and who was, at the time, known to hate recruiting.

Maybe we keep T-Will and he gets DL recruiting responsibilities lol.

My two cents (not that you asked) - 

I suspect Coach Harsin will hold everyone accountable to complete their duties.

This includes recruiting duties.   Harsin didn't move to AL  to fail. 

He has worked like 9 different college jobs and one NFL job.  Pretty sure he has accepted recruiting as part of the job.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Meltdowns a little dramatic. Just not a fan of a coach we've already had and who was, at the time, known to hate recruiting.

Maybe we keep T-Will and he gets DL recruiting responsibilities lol.

Lets just wait and see lol. Coaches can evolve.  Nobody knows if any hire is gonna be great until we see the product on the field. But if we get that 2010 Dline back I won’t be mad 

I don't get the "don't like to recruit" mantra on COACH Rocker. Why in the heck would he want to coach at a major college where recruiting is such a high priority.? That make absolutely zero sense to me. He has been the dline coach at multiple sec universities, now at Auburn twice. I see no logic that he hates recruiting. 

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Lets just wait and see lol. Coaches can evolve.  Nobody knows if any hire is gonna be great until we see the product on the field. But if we get that 2010 Dline back I won’t be mad 

He can develop no doubt. If Derek Mason signs off on it I trust him. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

I remember the fact he hated going on the recruiting trail,

I just want to see this fact.    Rocker is in the wrong line of work if he hates recruiting.    The whole ordeal sounds like something made up by angry fans when  Rocker left us.   

It is hard for me to believe that a successful coach would HATE recruiting. 

Would someone please post how they KNOW  that Rocker HATES recruiting. 

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So something that's been around since he was at Arkansas, and given as the prime reason he left college for the Titans....that's just not enough.  We need Rocker to say it himself.

YES!    Your speculation on why he left Arkansas is not good enough.   

Show me where he said that was the reason he went into the NFL.   I can not find one shred of evidence that rocker hates recruiting other than random posters on message boards.

He may very well hate recruiting,  but as far as I can tell,  that is an internet rumor started by fans angry when he leaves and perpetuated by the easily swayed.

Just show recruits his resume for putting dlinemen in the league and recruiting will be fine.

4 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

I don't get the "don't like to recruit" mantra on COACH Rocker. Why in the heck would he want to coach at a major college of recruiting is such a high priority.? That make absolutely zero sense to me. He has been the dline coach at 3 sec universities, now at Auburn twice. I see no logic I he hates recruiting. 

Good point.  If he hated recruiting so much he could have stayed in the League.

Archived