Tracy Rocker -- DL Coach

W.E.D

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I'll say this, too, Rocker definitely fits the personality culture that Harsin is trending towards.

Thank you. Harsin has a plan. It's a culture shock plan, if you ask me. Rocker fits that mold and knows what Pat Dye Auburn blue collar looks like. The man got Fairley to play football consistently, that's a feat by itself.

Great hire.

33 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

This is a great hire.  Just my $0.02.

Great to hear you say this @RunInRed! My fist thought was even though this was Mason's call I was wondering if some of the big money donors politicked for since he's not a great recruiter. Was definitely looking forward to see your thoughts on the PTB here.

I'm marginally worried about the PTB guys seeing this as another opportunity to make inroads and play the old games again, but perhaps that's just me being too paranoid after seeing this stuff play out time and time again over the years.  I do get the sense Harsin knows what's going on.  So hopefully, he's well prepared to fend off that mess.

Just now, RunInRed said:

I'm marginally worried about the PTB guys seeing this as another opportunity to make inroads and play the old games again, but perhaps that's just me being too paranoid after seeing this stuff play out time and time again over the years.  I do get the sense Harsin knows what's going on.  So hopefully, he's well prepared to fend off that mess.

Thank you kind sir!

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Like others mentioned he's great on campus just doesn't wanna hit the road and do it lol. He'll be a great secondary recruiter.

Rocker is coaching the "secondary"  now too?  

I bet he uses JJ Peguese  at Safety.    Man, that kid will kill a slot receiver.   I mean, maybe end someone's life.  

See what I did there?   See it?  See it?   Bwahahahhaa

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

He was a Guard out of HS and went to JUCO and played DT.  Nick is a lot bigger than JJ.  JJ would look tiny on the DL

Sep 30, 2013 · DETROIT -- Just how long has it been since Lions defensive lineman Nick Fairley scored a touchdown? "High school. I was a tight end," the 300-pounder said with a laugh.

JJ Pegues is 6'2, 300.  Fairley was 6-4 280 at the same stage in his career.

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Sep 30, 2013 · DETROIT -- Just how long has it been since Lions defensive lineman Nick Fairley scored a touchdown? "High school. I was a tight end," the 300-pounder said with a laugh.

His recruiting profile has him as a Guard

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2007/nick-fairley-23255

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

His recruiting profile has him as a Guard

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2007/nick-fairley-23255

We recruited him out of high school where he was an excellent TE, didn’t make his grades, went to Juco, then signed w/ us.  There was discussion either here, or the ITAT boards, on whether he was a tight end or DT...I don’t believe we ever wanted him at guard...probably b/c we had a really good o line at the time.  

His was leaner than Pegues when he got here, though...but had similar freakish athletic abilities.

maybe some coaches expected rocker to cheat if he had to and he was not too big on that? and the fact sce had two three stars could also mean recruits knew boom was on borrowed time? we can choose to be doom and gloom or we can be hopeful. i have had enough of the doom and gloom the last four or five years so i will pull for the rock until he proves me wrong.

34 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Rocker is coaching the "secondary"  now too?  

I bet he uses JJ Peguese  at Safety.    Man, that kid will kill a slot receiver.   I mean, maybe end someone's life.  

See what I did there?   See it?  See it?   Bwahahahhaa

How about Pegues does a lot more bench, overhead, and jerk, then play "HANGRY" at DT. Let's see the other teams' QBs continually grounding to avoid being slaughtered (again). 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

maybe some coaches expected rocker to cheat if he had to and he was not too big on that? and the fact sce had two three stars could also mean recruits knew boom was on borrowed time? we can choose to be doom and gloom or we can be hopeful. i have had enough of the doom and gloom the last four or five years so i will pull for the rock until he proves me wrong.

A lot of wisdom in your post, we can all appreciate that.

thx

Iron sharpens iron......I'm all about T Rock! 

9 hours ago, DAG said:

It’s totally okay to have rockstar recruiters with player development. I like this mix. I don’t know what happened down the line where a fringe bunch wants nothing but recruiters here, while foregoing player development. 

I blame @GwillMac6

:poke:

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Pretty sure Fairley was a Juco resign that was already in the pipeline before Rocker got here in 2009

So he was. And the competition to get Fairley's signature after JUCO was as fierce as it gets. Rocker won a big battle there.

16 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Easy to believe that some trademark GOB/JABA assistant hires could be a concession in exchange for the big hire in order to keep the peace in the front office and above. That said, if Rock, Caddy, Etheridge and maybe TWill are those hires, then I see it is as about as win-win as we could hope for. 

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

So he was. And the competition to get Fairley's signature after JUCO was as fierce as it gets. Rocker won a big battle there.

Nick signed with Auburn in December 2008.  Rocker left Ole Miss for Auburn in January 2009 

4 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Zoom in and look at the face on Rocker. He doesn't look happy. That's some of that one-on-one special kind of attention that players dread.

5 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Hopefully Rock can figure out a way to get some edge pressure on the QBs.   That's really been missing these last few years.

Have we had anyone good on the edge since Holland?  Seems like our edge has been Kat, Coe, Marlon, and not much else since 2018.  Need that speed rusher back.

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hopefully Rock can figure out a way to get some edge pressure on the QBs.   That's really been missing these last few years.

Have we had anyone good on the edge since Holland?  Seems like our edge has been Kat, Coe, Marlon, and not much else since 2018.  Need that speed rusher back.

The Buck position hasn't been a strength for us, no.

And I'm not sure that much of Holland's production couldn't be attributed to Brown and Davidson vaporizing the pocket on every passing down while Davises Carlton and Javaris blanketed receivers. 

And Carl Lawson was one of the most college-ready freaks out of high school we've seen. He definitely developed at Auburn but he was every bit the top-5 recruit he was billed to be, and he's proving it at Cincinnati. 

Also, Fairley gets all the acclaim, but Rock probably got more out of Antonio Coleman, Hot Carter, and Dee Ford than we've gotten out of anyone since besides Lawson and Holland. 

TL;DR We stand to upgrade significantly in terms of positional coaching with Coach Rock. 

Archived