Tracy Rocker -- DL Coach

W.E.D

It’s totally okay to have rockstar recruiters with player development. I like this mix. I don’t know what happened down the line where a fringe bunch wants nothing but recruiters here, while foregoing player development. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AUStew87 said:

I think he make a bigger impact at one of the end spots in a 3-4 scheme. He would still lack the ideal height there, but I think has other attributes that would make an impact at the position. 

Did he play defense in high school?

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Did he play defense in high school?

He played some on defense, but didn't record many stats there. He put up his stats on the offensive side and was recruited as an athlete. I am sure he is more comfortable at the TE position, but I think he would make an impact on the defensive side if everything clicked for him.

I am ok with him staying at TE, but I want Harsin to actually use him as a focused weapon. As he did with most of his weapons, Gus used JJ for "specialty roles" on 2 or 3 plays, including the wildcat. I just thought it was a waste of the kid's talent. 

Didn't we manage to reel in top 10 recruiting classes when Rocker was here the first time? Even in spite of his "dislike for recruiting"? I think we'll be fine.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

He recruited some great players to AU. Corey Lemonier and Nick Fairley come immediately to mind. Rocker doesn't like recruiting but that doesn't mean he's no good at it.

It's a very weird day when I agree completely with prison mike. But the rocker and recruiting narrative gets spun more and more erroneously each passing year. It gets more false. He CAN recruit. He doesn't like to. His recruit history speaks for itself. He's not freaking mike pelton over here. He's a outstanding coach and developer to boot. Corey lemonier and gabe wright were 2 of the most thrilling photo finishes in recruiting in the early chizik years. Rocker closed both of those out.

https://247sports.com/coach/Tracy-Rocker-22/

15 minutes ago, AUStew87 said:

He played some on defense, but didn't record many stats there. He put up his stats on the offensive side and was recruited as an athlete. I am sure he is more comfortable at the TE position, but I think he would make an impact on the defensive side if everything clicked for him.

I am ok with him staying at TE, but I want Harsin to actually use him as a focused weapon. As he did with most of his weapons, Gus used JJ for "specialty roles" on 2 or 3 plays, including the wildcat. I just thought it was a waste of the kid's talent. 

Agree with you on Gus ruining players in specialty roles.  He needs to drop 40# and be a beast TE at 265.  His height will probably be an issue no matter what position he plays

Absolutely nobody knows where his heart is as far as recruiting TODAY. If I had to guess I'd say have down for it since he took the job. Also with where technology is now for all we know what he doesn't like about recruiting could now be alleviated. And that's if the recruiting stuff is a real thing in the first place.

I think this does signal a change in mindset and new toughness hopefully to come. Always had the suspicion that T Rock didn’t want to be associated with softness like we saw previously. He was a helluva tough player and has coached some good tough lines. Not what I was hoping for as DL coach but I’m certainly willing to maintain optimism 

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Look at this year's class he has two 3* DTs

When he's at a strong program he magically becomes a much better recruiter. Funny how that works right?! Lol. He's a guy that with the right logo on a polo can be a plus recruiter!

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Agree with you on Gus ruining players in specialty roles.  He needs to drop 40# and be a beast TE at 265.  His height will probably be an issue no matter what position he plays

Don't we already have about 5 TEs with another coming in.  We are short DLs especially NTs.  I think we could better use DLs if he in fact could play the position.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It's a very weird day when I agree completely with prison mike. But the rocker and recruiting narrative gets spun more and more erroneously each passing year. It gets more false. He CAN recruit. He doesn't like to. His recruit history speaks for itself. He's not freaking mike pelton over here. He's a outstanding coach and developer to boot. Corey lemonier and gabe wright were 2 of the most thrilling photo finishes in recruiting in the early chizik years. Rocker closed both of those out.

https://247sports.com/coach/Tracy-Rocker-22/

I see Chauncey from last chance U on that list! 

Very good on the field coach with connections and relationships already established. 

Regarding the recruiting angle, IF Harsin is building the recruiting support staff like we think and IF Harsin helps recruit year round as the HC (like Nick and Kirby, et al) rather than trying to simply be a closer, Rocker will be fine. 

5 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Don't we already have about 5 TEs with another coming in.  We are short DLs especially NTs.  I think we could better use DLs if he in fact could play the position.

I don't really see him being to be able to contribute on defense.  I don't see TE's moving to NT often

While Rocker may not like to recruit, how many schools can boast of having a Lombardi/Outland winner coaching their DL? That should hold some significant sway with defensive linemen wanting to play for someone to develop them and get them ready for the next level if they have such aspirations. And I do realize that potential recruits look at more than having a great position coach to develop them...

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't really see him being to be able to contribute on defense.  I don't see TE's moving to NT often

True...  But how many 6'2" TE @ 300#s are there?

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

And he’s just a sophomore next year so he’s going to be just fine where he is in my judgment.

28 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe just thoughts of Fairley and his move from TE to DT...and how he blossomed under Rocker.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

It’s totally okay to have rockstar recruiters with player development. I like this mix. I don’t know what happened down the line where a fringe bunch wants nothing but recruiters here, while foregoing player development. 

Exactly. Harsin emphasized this in his intro speech and its where we've lacked over the years. 

31 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

True...  But how many 6'2" TE @ 300#s are there?

That's why I've said he needs to lose at least 40#.  He's fat.  There's no reason he should be playing at 300#

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Maybe just thoughts of Fairley and his move from TE to DT...and how he blossomed under Rocker.

He was a Guard out of HS and went to JUCO and played DT.  Nick is a lot bigger than JJ.  JJ would look tiny on the DL

3 hours ago, The Freak said:

He has worked like 9 different college jobs and one NFL job.  Pretty sure he has accepted recruiting as part of the job.

This is what I am wondering. 24 or 29 years of his coaching career has been at the college level, 2 years at high school, and 3years in the NFL. He has been back in college the last 7 years since his 3 years in the NFL. He probably had the opportunity to stay in the NFL, or return to the NFL.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

When he's at a strong program he magically becomes a much better recruiter. Funny how that works right?! Lol. He's a guy that with the right logo on a polo can be a plus recruiter!

Like others mentioned he's great on campus just doesn't wanna hit the road and do it lol. He'll be a great secondary recruiter.

Archived