Governor Cuomo Announces to New York That He Doesn’t Trust Experts Anymore #Cuomocide *UPDATE - Cuomo RESIGNS*

DKW 86

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This press conference was 3 weeks ago.  Notice she is in front of an official CDC backdrop.

The next day Psaki declared Walensky was giving her personal opinion at that press conference.

Walensky, after being thrown under the bus, walks her *personal* stance back.

She now is towing the company line.  She is not the head of the CDC, she will say and do what ever Biden wants her to say and do.  This is obvious to those who are paying attention.  

My prediction is that as soon as the Covid Relief package has passed, as long as it contains the $350 billion for blue state bailouts, you will see the CDC and the teacher’s union wanting to go back to school in a more aggressive way.

Remember, school are open in Florida and other states already where there is no pension issue, its only the blue states in which the teacher’s pensions are in jeopardy that the unions want to keep the schools closed.

Biden is as swampy as they come.

So explain to me how the CDC saying vaccinations aren't necessary to re-open schools is changing their recommendations to suit teachers unions?

You are confused. As usual.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

So explain to me how the CDC saying vaccinations aren't necessary to re-open schools is changing their recommendations to suit teachers unions?

You are confused. As usual.

Why aren’t the teachers of blue states back in school?  There is alway some issue with them not returning to school.  What is it?  School ventilation or maybe they want to be prioritized for the vaccination?  What could they be waiting on?

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Why aren’t the teachers of blue states back in school?  There is alway some issue with them not returning to school.  What is it?  School ventilation or maybe they want to be prioritized for the vaccination?  What could they be waiting on?

A non sequitur response makes for a clumsy evasion.

Edited by homersapien

Scathing WaPo editorial:

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is in increasing political trouble. A second accusation of sexual harassment against him emerged this past weekend, and instead of denying it, he apologized, and claimed a misunderstanding. “I never intended to make anyone feel uncomfortable,” Cuomo said in a statement.

Andrew Cuomo didn’t intend to make anyone “feel uncomfortable?” Cuomo’s words would be hilariously funny if the subject weren’t so serious.

As John Oliver says, Cuomo is “famously unpleasant.” While Americans thrilled to the Democratic governor’s heartwarming performance as a caring person in his nationally televised covid-19 news conferences last year, New York political insiders knew better. Much of his political power rests on his ability to keep people on edge and make them scared of crossing him.

Cuomo governs in a take-no-prisoners, control-freak style. For the past decade, the governor has bullied and threatened Democrats and Republicans alike, not to mention political appointees. When a political commission studying state corruption appeared to come too close to Cuomo’s inner circle, he shut it down. He threatened to put the progressive Working Families Party out of business if they ran a candidate against him in 2018. He denied it when called out on it in public, but that didn’t stop him from trying it.

Cuomo’s feud with Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) is a Punch and Judy show, with Cuomo doing the vast amount of punching, undercutting the semi-hapless New York mayor at any opportunity. He repeatedly publicly humiliated well-loved New York City Transit President Andy Byford until he quit. “The job had become somewhat intolerable,” Byford told CBS News.

Hubris, in recent years, often overwhelmed Cuomo’s instinctive political smarts. His comments could border on the offensive and then some. He once told a group of legislators including State Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins that they only understood the concerns of New York City voters. Stewart-Cousins is Black — and represents suburban Westchester County. “You see my Black skin and a woman, but you don’t realize I am a suburban legislator,” she replied. And last year, he blamed people who came down with covid-19 for — well, getting covid-19. “If you socially distanced and you wore a mask and you were smart, none of this would be a problem. It’s all self-imposed. If you didn’t eat the cheesecake, you wouldn’t have a weight problem.”

In fact, Cuomo’s covid-19 news conferences were television-news-enabled fraud. While the governor played the role of a tough-talking paterfamilias successfully combating a dread disease, the state actually suffered the second-highest per capita death rate from covid-19 in the United States.

People fell for it not only because Americans have a weakness for performative bullies (See: Trump, Donald), and in part because the Trump administration couldn’t even fake a competent response to the pandemic, but also because the Cuomo administration cooked the books, seemingly to hide the state’s incompetent performance.

In late March of last year, Cuomo’s health department ordered nursing homes to take in patients recovering from the disease, something that is now thought to have contributed to the state’s high death toll. New York continued to count nursing home patients who died at a hospital as hospital patients, something most other states did not.

Eventually the truth came out, as it usually does. A top Cuomo aide tried to claim the administration hid the numbers because they believed Trump would use them for political gain. But when Queens Assemblyman Ron Kim — whose uncle died of covid-19 in a nursing home — went on the offensive, Cuomo accused him of “pay to play” corruption at a news conference and, according to Kim, called him up and said he could “destroy” him. No doubt he thought Kim would fall in line, as so many have in the past. Instead, Kim went public.

And then the sexual harassment charges emerged or — I should say, they came back. Former Cuomo aide Lindsey Boylan, now running for Manhattan borough president, made her first allegations last year, and was mostly ignored. But she stepped forward last week with more details. Then a second former staffer, Charlotte Bennett, accused him last weekend. Then on Monday evening, the New York Times published an account by a third woman, Anna Ruch, who alleged inappropriate behavior by Cuomo toward her at a 2019 wedding reception they both attended.

Both New Yorkers and national political junkies are now collectively holding their breath, waiting for what comes next. Here’s a prediction: Whatever it is, it will likely come soon.

The knives are out. Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) called on him to resign Monday evening. Longtime nemesis de Blasio on Monday said he saw Cuomo be verbally “abusive” toward his staff, while calling the harassment charges “disgusting” and “creepy.” Everyone from Nancy Pelosi to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is calling for an investigation into the women’s allegations. So is the Biden administration. As Cuomo is now discovering, bullies have few real friends but many enemies. Once someone successfully challenges them, it can all come apart.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/02/andrew-cuomo-longtime-political-bully-is-receiving-his-comeuppance/

I think it's just a matter of time at this point before Cuomo is forced to step down.  We might even be looking at days rather than weeks.  And with the NY AG investigating, it could get worse for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Scathing WaPo editorial:

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is in increasing political trouble. A second accusation of sexual harassment against him emerged this past weekend, and instead of denying it, he apologized, and claimed a misunderstanding. “I never intended to make anyone feel uncomfortable,” Cuomo said in a statement.

Andrew Cuomo didn’t intend to make anyone “feel uncomfortable?” Cuomo’s words would be hilariously funny if the subject weren’t so serious.

As John Oliver says, Cuomo is “famously unpleasant.” While Americans thrilled to the Democratic governor’s heartwarming performance as a caring person in his nationally televised covid-19 news conferences last year, New York political insiders knew better. Much of his political power rests on his ability to keep people on edge and make them scared of crossing him.

Cuomo governs in a take-no-prisoners, control-freak style. For the past decade, the governor has bullied and threatened Democrats and Republicans alike, not to mention political appointees. When a political commission studying state corruption appeared to come too close to Cuomo’s inner circle, he shut it down. He threatened to put the progressive Working Families Party out of business if they ran a candidate against him in 2018. He denied it when called out on it in public, but that didn’t stop him from trying it.

Cuomo’s feud with Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) is a Punch and Judy show, with Cuomo doing the vast amount of punching, undercutting the semi-hapless New York mayor at any opportunity. He repeatedly publicly humiliated well-loved New York City Transit President Andy Byford until he quit. “The job had become somewhat intolerable,” Byford told CBS News.

Hubris, in recent years, often overwhelmed Cuomo’s instinctive political smarts. His comments could border on the offensive and then some. He once told a group of legislators including State Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins that they only understood the concerns of New York City voters. Stewart-Cousins is Black — and represents suburban Westchester County. “You see my Black skin and a woman, but you don’t realize I am a suburban legislator,” she replied. And last year, he blamed people who came down with covid-19 for — well, getting covid-19. “If you socially distanced and you wore a mask and you were smart, none of this would be a problem. It’s all self-imposed. If you didn’t eat the cheesecake, you wouldn’t have a weight problem.”

In fact, Cuomo’s covid-19 news conferences were television-news-enabled fraud. While the governor played the role of a tough-talking paterfamilias successfully combating a dread disease, the state actually suffered the second-highest per capita death rate from covid-19 in the United States.

People fell for it not only because Americans have a weakness for performative bullies (See: Trump, Donald), and in part because the Trump administration couldn’t even fake a competent response to the pandemic, but also because the Cuomo administration cooked the books, seemingly to hide the state’s incompetent performance.

In late March of last year, Cuomo’s health department ordered nursing homes to take in patients recovering from the disease, something that is now thought to have contributed to the state’s high death toll. New York continued to count nursing home patients who died at a hospital as hospital patients, something most other states did not.

Eventually the truth came out, as it usually does. A top Cuomo aide tried to claim the administration hid the numbers because they believed Trump would use them for political gain. But when Queens Assemblyman Ron Kim — whose uncle died of covid-19 in a nursing home — went on the offensive, Cuomo accused him of “pay to play” corruption at a news conference and, according to Kim, called him up and said he could “destroy” him. No doubt he thought Kim would fall in line, as so many have in the past. Instead, Kim went public.

And then the sexual harassment charges emerged or — I should say, they came back. Former Cuomo aide Lindsey Boylan, now running for Manhattan borough president, made her first allegations last year, and was mostly ignored. But she stepped forward last week with more details. Then a second former staffer, Charlotte Bennett, accused him last weekend. Then on Monday evening, the New York Times published an account by a third woman, Anna Ruch, who alleged inappropriate behavior by Cuomo toward her at a 2019 wedding reception they both attended.

Both New Yorkers and national political junkies are now collectively holding their breath, waiting for what comes next. Here’s a prediction: Whatever it is, it will likely come soon.

The knives are out. Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) called on him to resign Monday evening. Longtime nemesis de Blasio on Monday said he saw Cuomo be verbally “abusive” toward his staff, while calling the harassment charges “disgusting” and “creepy.” Everyone from Nancy Pelosi to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is calling for an investigation into the women’s allegations. So is the Biden administration. As Cuomo is now discovering, bullies have few real friends but many enemies. Once someone successfully challenges them, it can all come apart.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/02/andrew-cuomo-longtime-political-bully-is-receiving-his-comeuppance/

I think it's just a matter of time at this point before Cuomo is forced to step down.  We might even be looking at days rather than weeks.  And with the NY AG investigating, it could get worse for him.

All of that is just meaningless words SO FAR. Pelosi et al said the same PC things about Northam. Nothing happened to him. Cuomo is popular and from Democrat Royalty. If a nobody like Northam can get by, Cuomo will have no problems getting by. I hope the SOB goes, but so far, all we have are meaningless words. I share an office with Mr Make New York Great Again Cuomo-supporter. "Its all Republicans and Fox News. They are out to get him." 

What many of us knew all along was that both parties have MAGA type supporters. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

All of that is just meaningless words SO FAR. Pelosi et al said the same PC things about Northam. Nothing happened to him. Cuomo is popular and from Democrat Royalty. If a nobody like Northam can get by, Cuomo will have no problems getting by. I hope the SOB goes, but so far, all we have are meaningless words. I share an office with Mr Make New York Great Again Cuomo-supporter. "Its all Republicans and Fox News. They are out to get him." 

What many of us knew all along was that both parties have MAGA type supporters. 

The Northram situation really isn't comparable.  Regardless of how bad you think a yearbook photo from 36 years ago in blackface is or should be, no one would put that in the same league as falsifying nursing home deaths from COVID due to a decision a governor made, or now three claims of sexual harassment or unwanted sexual advances.  Whatever did or didn't happen to Northram is not a guide for what will or won't happen to Cuomo.

• Like 1

well at least you havr stopped that stupid “a few bad words have really hurt cuomo” crap. Actually nothing has happened so far, just like i have been saying. 

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

well at least you havr stopped that stupid “a few bad words have really hurt cuomo” crap.

No idea what you're talking about. 

7 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Actually nothing has happened so far, just like i have been saying. 

Almost nothing happens instantly, or even quickly most of the time.  Incidents begin to pile up, the stories start being reported, investigations start, the drumbeat intensifies.  "Nothing has happened so far" is not the strong argument you seem to think it is.

59 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No idea what you're talking about. 

Almost nothing happens instantly, or even quickly most of the time.  Incidents begin to pile up, the stories start being reported, investigations start, the drumbeat intensifies.  "Nothing has happened so far" is not the strong argument you seem to think it is.

If you ignore all the history, i choose not to. 

The charges of Sexual Harassment go back a year already. They went nowhere then, and will ultimately mean nothing now. You just like hearing your ignorance broadcast to the masses.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

If you ignore all the history, i choose not to. 

The charges of Sexual Harassment go back a year already. They went nowhere then, and will ultimately mean nothing now. You just like hearing your ignorance broadcast to the masses.

krysten-ritter-eyeroll-seriouly.gif

• Haha 1

ALBANY, N.Y. — With allegations of unsettling behavior toward women spilling into the public eye, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo spent Tuesday fending off calls for his resignation, with few voluble defenders in a moment of unparalleled weakness in his decade-long tenure in Albany.

Signs of the governor’s diminished sway were everywhere.

A small, but expanding, coterie of Democratic lawmakers called on Mr. Cuomo to step down, as did the state Working Families Party, which has frequently clashed with the governor. Among some donors, there was an increasing sense of discomfort with reports of Mr. Cuomo’s behavior and uncertainty around his future, with one active Democratic donor describing a growing instinct to “hedge their bets.”

Representative Lee Zeldin, a Long Island Republican, announced on Tuesday that he was “actively exploring” a run for governor.

Still, for all that, one major bulwark to any forced departure — the Democrat-dominated statehouse, which could impeach him — appeared to be holding, for now at least. Impeachment would require mass defections by Democrats in both the State Assembly and the Senate, which seemed unlikely as of Tuesday.

The leaders of both chambers, however, did strike a deal to impose limits and additional oversight on Mr. Cuomo’s pandemic-era powers.

The move was the latest rebuke of the governor by members of his own party, a way for the Legislature to flex its muscle and reprimand him for withholding data on nursing home deaths and, more symbolically, the sexual harassment allegations.

Mr. Cuomo, 63, has been accused of sexually harassing two former aides, including Charlotte Bennett, 25, who said the governor had complained of being lonely and asked if she slept with older men during a meeting in his Capitol office last year.

Mr. Cuomo has not directly challenged Ms. Bennett’s claims, though he flatly denied some other accusations against him. On Sunday night, he sought to explain his behavior, saying that some of his comments in the past “may have been insensitive or too personal,” and “made others feel in ways I never intended.”

“I acknowledge some of the things I have said have been misinterpreted as an unwanted flirtation,” Mr. Cuomo said. “To the extent anyone felt that way, I am truly sorry about that.”

On Monday, The New York Times detailed another encounter where Mr. Cuomo had touched a young woman’s bare back, cupped her face and planted an unwanted kiss on her cheek at a 2019 wedding.

That disclosure prompted Representative Kathleen Rice, a Long Island Democrat, to call for Mr. Cuomo’s resignation, saying, “The time has come.”

Ms. Rice, a former Nassau County district attorney, became the first Democratic member of the state’s congressional delegation to call for the governor to step down. Others, including Senators Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, reiterated their support for an independent investigation.

Mr. Cuomo’s outsize presence in state politics seems to be cutting both ways in his current political crisis: Many privately express spite toward him, but few in his party have dared to take him on. The promised investigation of Mr. Cuomo’s behavior has given many elected officials political cover, allowing them to express concern about the allegations, while asserting that they are still, at this point, just that: allegations, albeit from three women who have given on-the-record accounts.

Mr. Cuomo has not made a public appearance since last Wednesday morning, when the first accuser — Lindsey Boylan — posted a lengthy essay about his behavior, including what she said was another unwanted kiss, on the lips, in 2018. The governor has denied her account.

Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat, had no comment on Tuesday on the calls to resign, though he has previously voiced support for an investigation of his own behavior, granting the state attorney general, Letitia James, permission to deputize an outside lawyer to look into the claims.

When asked what the governor was doing amid intense scrutiny into his conduct, an aide referred to a news release about a pilot program to administer the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine at mass vaccination sites.

A number of state legislators, especially some of the governor’s most frequent critics, were far more direct than many of their counterparts in Washington as they pressed for Mr. Cuomo to step aside.

“I don’t think someone who treats women like that should be in power,” said State Senator John C. Liu. “Silence is complicity. And when women, and people, suffer harassment of any kind, they should not fear speaking out. Part of that means not allowing people to feel lonely and isolated by, quote, ‘playing it safe,’ end quote, and keeping silent.”

The deal to restrict Mr. Cuomo’s pandemic-era powers will still allow the governor to issue executive orders that are deemed critical to responding to the pandemic. Existing directives — such as those mandating mask wearing — would remain in effect. Lawmakers, however, would now have the ability to review any directives the governor decides to extend or modify, such as increasing indoor capacity in restaurants.

The Legislature, where Democrats possess majorities large enough to override a potential veto from Mr. Cuomo, could vote on the legislation as soon as Friday or Monday, according to Assemblyman John T. McDonald, a Democrat.

There are also signs that among some key political constituencies, there remains significant good will toward Mr. Cuomo, especially tied to how he led the state in the early months of the pandemic.

“I think it’s ridiculous to ask him to resign,” said Hazel N. Dukes, the president of the N.A.A.C.P. New York State Conference. “We have an investigation going on. Everybody should have due process for allegations made against them. That’s democracy in America.”

Ms. Dukes’s remarks were echoed by Jay Jacobs, a friend of Mr. Cuomo’s who serves as New York State Democratic Party chairman. He issued a lengthy statement on Tuesday saying it was “both premature and unfair for anyone to opine on the outcome until that investigation is completed and the results reported.”

But that sort of response was openly mocked by some of the governor’s critics, including a raft of younger, more progressive lawmakers.

“You know what’s premature and unfair?” wrote State Senator Jessica Ramos, a Queens Democrat, on Twitter. “Grabbing someone’s face without their consent.”

Indeed, the controversy over Mr. Cuomo’s behavior seemed to be revealing a split in the state party between established Democratic Party loyalists and more ideological, socially conscious members.

Laurie A. Cumbo, the majority leader for the New York City Council, said that it was vital to both “provide a safe space and place for women to come forward” and to allow an independent investigation to run its course.

“Sure we can cancel him, sure we can ask him to resign, sure we can demand that he resign and we move forward, but once we’ve canceled Gov. Cuomo, are we just creating, you know, this cycle?” she said. “How can we do something other than cancel here to really get to the heart of creating a solution and the understanding and the humanity that it takes in a workplace environment to address this issue?”

Many lawmakers were eager to reach a deal on the governor’s emergency powers, concerned that the debate had overshadowed negotiations of the state budget, due April 1.

But the fallout from Mr. Cuomo’s sexual harassment allegations has once again threatened to eclipse, or possibly derail, the budget discussions, an important moment of the year in Albany when the most significant policies are negotiated.

Indeed, the business community is already fretting about what a governor with reduced leverage might mean for their interests.

“For the last decade, they’ve relied on Cuomo as the moderating voice in state public policy and budget negotiations,” said Kathryn S. Wylde, the president of the Partnership for New York City, a nonprofit business group. “The concern is that his voice will be weakened and distracted during a critical period for the city and state as we’re attempting to get out of a deep economic hole.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/nyregion/cuomo-resign-zeldin-fallout.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

ALBANY, N.Y. — With allegations of unsettling behavior toward women spilling into the public eye, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo spent Tuesday fending off calls for his resignation, with few voluble defenders in a moment of unparalleled weakness in his decade-long tenure in Albany.

Signs of the governor’s diminished sway were everywhere.

A small, but expanding, coterie of Democratic lawmakers called on Mr. Cuomo to step down, as did the state Working Families Party, which has frequently clashed with the governor. Among some donors, there was an increasing sense of discomfort with reports of Mr. Cuomo’s behavior and uncertainty around his future, with one active Democratic donor describing a growing instinct to “hedge their bets.”

Representative Lee Zeldin, a Long Island Republican, announced on Tuesday that he was “actively exploring” a run for governor.

Still, for all that, one major bulwark to any forced departure — the Democrat-dominated statehouse, which could impeach him — appeared to be holding, for now at least. Impeachment would require mass defections by Democrats in both the State Assembly and the Senate, which seemed unlikely as of Tuesday.

The leaders of both chambers, however, did strike a deal to impose limits and additional oversight on Mr. Cuomo’s pandemic-era powers.

The move was the latest rebuke of the governor by members of his own party, a way for the Legislature to flex its muscle and reprimand him for withholding data on nursing home deaths and, more symbolically, the sexual harassment allegations.

Mr. Cuomo, 63, has been accused of sexually harassing two former aides, including Charlotte Bennett, 25, who said the governor had complained of being lonely and asked if she slept with older men during a meeting in his Capitol office last year.

Mr. Cuomo has not directly challenged Ms. Bennett’s claims, though he flatly denied some other accusations against him. On Sunday night, he sought to explain his behavior, saying that some of his comments in the past “may have been insensitive or too personal,” and “made others feel in ways I never intended.”

“I acknowledge some of the things I have said have been misinterpreted as an unwanted flirtation,” Mr. Cuomo said. “To the extent anyone felt that way, I am truly sorry about that.”

On Monday, The New York Times detailed another encounter where Mr. Cuomo had touched a young woman’s bare back, cupped her face and planted an unwanted kiss on her cheek at a 2019 wedding.

That disclosure prompted Representative Kathleen Rice, a Long Island Democrat, to call for Mr. Cuomo’s resignation, saying, “The time has come.”

Ms. Rice, a former Nassau County district attorney, became the first Democratic member of the state’s congressional delegation to call for the governor to step down. Others, including Senators Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, reiterated their support for an independent investigation.

Mr. Cuomo’s outsize presence in state politics seems to be cutting both ways in his current political crisis: Many privately express spite toward him, but few in his party have dared to take him on. The promised investigation of Mr. Cuomo’s behavior has given many elected officials political cover, allowing them to express concern about the allegations, while asserting that they are still, at this point, just that: allegations, albeit from three women who have given on-the-record accounts.

Mr. Cuomo has not made a public appearance since last Wednesday morning, when the first accuser — Lindsey Boylan — posted a lengthy essay about his behavior, including what she said was another unwanted kiss, on the lips, in 2018. The governor has denied her account.

Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat, had no comment on Tuesday on the calls to resign, though he has previously voiced support for an investigation of his own behavior, granting the state attorney general, Letitia James, permission to deputize an outside lawyer to look into the claims.

When asked what the governor was doing amid intense scrutiny into his conduct, an aide referred to a news release about a pilot program to administer the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine at mass vaccination sites.

A number of state legislators, especially some of the governor’s most frequent critics, were far more direct than many of their counterparts in Washington as they pressed for Mr. Cuomo to step aside.

“I don’t think someone who treats women like that should be in power,” said State Senator John C. Liu. “Silence is complicity. And when women, and people, suffer harassment of any kind, they should not fear speaking out. Part of that means not allowing people to feel lonely and isolated by, quote, ‘playing it safe,’ end quote, and keeping silent.”

The deal to restrict Mr. Cuomo’s pandemic-era powers will still allow the governor to issue executive orders that are deemed critical to responding to the pandemic. Existing directives — such as those mandating mask wearing — would remain in effect. Lawmakers, however, would now have the ability to review any directives the governor decides to extend or modify, such as increasing indoor capacity in restaurants.

The Legislature, where Democrats possess majorities large enough to override a potential veto from Mr. Cuomo, could vote on the legislation as soon as Friday or Monday, according to Assemblyman John T. McDonald, a Democrat.

There are also signs that among some key political constituencies, there remains significant good will toward Mr. Cuomo, especially tied to how he led the state in the early months of the pandemic.

“I think it’s ridiculous to ask him to resign,” said Hazel N. Dukes, the president of the N.A.A.C.P. New York State Conference. “We have an investigation going on. Everybody should have due process for allegations made against them. That’s democracy in America.”

Ms. Dukes’s remarks were echoed by Jay Jacobs, a friend of Mr. Cuomo’s who serves as New York State Democratic Party chairman. He issued a lengthy statement on Tuesday saying it was “both premature and unfair for anyone to opine on the outcome until that investigation is completed and the results reported.”

But that sort of response was openly mocked by some of the governor’s critics, including a raft of younger, more progressive lawmakers.

“You know what’s premature and unfair?” wrote State Senator Jessica Ramos, a Queens Democrat, on Twitter. “Grabbing someone’s face without their consent.”

Indeed, the controversy over Mr. Cuomo’s behavior seemed to be revealing a split in the state party between established Democratic Party loyalists and more ideological, socially conscious members.

Laurie A. Cumbo, the majority leader for the New York City Council, said that it was vital to both “provide a safe space and place for women to come forward” and to allow an independent investigation to run its course.

“Sure we can cancel him, sure we can ask him to resign, sure we can demand that he resign and we move forward, but once we’ve canceled Gov. Cuomo, are we just creating, you know, this cycle?” she said. “How can we do something other than cancel here to really get to the heart of creating a solution and the understanding and the humanity that it takes in a workplace environment to address this issue?”

Many lawmakers were eager to reach a deal on the governor’s emergency powers, concerned that the debate had overshadowed negotiations of the state budget, due April 1.

But the fallout from Mr. Cuomo’s sexual harassment allegations has once again threatened to eclipse, or possibly derail, the budget discussions, an important moment of the year in Albany when the most significant policies are negotiated.

Indeed, the business community is already fretting about what a governor with reduced leverage might mean for their interests.

“For the last decade, they’ve relied on Cuomo as the moderating voice in state public policy and budget negotiations,” said Kathryn S. Wylde, the president of the Partnership for New York City, a nonprofit business group. “The concern is that his voice will be weakened and distracted during a critical period for the city and state as we’re attempting to get out of a deep economic hole.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/nyregion/cuomo-resign-zeldin-fallout.html

And to think there were folks that thought he should be nominated at the convention to run for President. If he’d won, what a mess. He may finish his term, but he’s done.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

And to think there were folks that thought he should be nominated at the convention to run for President. If he’d won, what a mess. He may finish his term, but he’s done.

please consider the amount of BS from CNN and other media outlets. The story on Cuomo and sexual harassment is over a year old. This is not a new story. There are new additions but not anything really new. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/541437-cuomo-says-he-wont-resign-amid-sexual-harassment-allegations

If you ever thought Cuomo was going to resign, please you need to get in the real world. If you thought there was a .001% chance, you need to get a life.

I would tell you I get tired of being right, but I really I dont...

Edited by DKW 86

28 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/541437-cuomo-says-he-wont-resign-amid-sexual-harassment-allegations

If you ever thought Cuomo was going to resign, please you need to get in the real world. If you thought there was a .001% chance, you need to get a life.

I would tell you I get tired of being right, but I really I dont...

Maybe I missed it, but I don’t recall anyone here making a big case that he was going to resign. I’m not sure when the next gubernatorial election in New York is, but if it’s close my bet would be that he just tries to milk clock and leave on his own terms.  If he still got a few years then things get more interesting.

so what was it that was exactly going to happen to cuomo then? no resignation. no impeachment. just an occasional article with all the outrage of 2-3 words? is that it? 12-13K to maybe as high as 15k dead. at least three very credible sexual harassment cases and he gets an emmy, a book deal, and a couple of his friends say some really not nice things to him????? bless his heart....

is that it? he gets the Shirley Temple mean words talk? 😂😂😂

Edited by DKW 86

30 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

so what was it that was exactly going to happen to cuomo then? no resignation. no impeachment. just an occasional article with all the outrage of 2-3 words? is that it? 12-13K to maybe as high as 15k dead. at least three very credible sexual harassment cases and he gets an emmy, a book deal, and a couple of his friends say some really not nice things to him????? bless his heart....

is that it? he gets the Shirley Temple mean words talk? 😂😂😂

I think that story is still being written.  The harassment happened last year but it only went public within the last few weeks or so.  The admission on the nursing home deaths only came out 2-3 weeks ago.  We can't say what's going to happen yet.  He got the Emmy and the book deal before this stuff was really known.

He was considered a future Democrat presidential candidate six months ago.  That's a complete non-starter now.  In fact, I think his future elected office career is done, not even counting a presidential run.  The drumbeat continues to build on this other stuff.  We'll just have to see how it plays out.  Will NY Democrats have the courage to do what US Senate Republicans didn't with Trump?  Remains to be seen. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I think that story is still being written.  The harassment happened last year but it only went public within the last few weeks or so.  The admission on the nursing home deaths only came out 2-3 weeks ago.  We can't say what's going to happen yet.  He got the Emmy and the book deal before this stuff was really known.

He was considered a future Democrat presidential candidate six months ago.  That's a complete non-starter now.  In fact, I think his future elected office career is done, not even counting a presidential run.  The drumbeat continues to build on this other stuff.  We'll just have to see how it plays out.  Will NY Democrats have the courage to do what US Senate Republicans didn't with Trump?  Remains to be seen. 

If he were a Republican it would strengthen his brand these days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I think that story is still being written.  The harassment happened last year but it only went public within the last few weeks or so. 

It went public a year ago. The media sat on it.

The admission on the nursing home deaths only came out 2-3 weeks ago.  We can't say what's going to happen yet.  He got the Emmy and the book deal before this stuff was really known.

He was considered a future Democrat presidential candidate six months ago.  That's a complete non-starter now. 

Ted Kennedy survived Chappaquiddick and ran for President.

In fact, I think his future elected office career is done, not even counting a presidential run.  The drumbeat continues to build on this other stuff.  We'll just have to see how it plays out.  Will NY Democrats have the courage to do what US Senate Republicans didn't with Trump?  Remains to be seen. 

He has already managed to beat the harassment charges for a year or more now. He managed to manipulate the COVID Numbers well enough as well. Another week or two nd they will start slut shaming the women and all will be forgiven. He might even have take a trip to rehab but he's going nowhere. 

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

If he were a Republican it would strengthen his brand these days.

Being a bully in NY State must be a good thing. I read "Cuomo" but i hear "Trump."
Most of the things that they killed Trump for, they praised Cuomo for.
Tough, Bully, Take Charge Guy, Powerful, Ladies man, all that other BS...

Edited by DKW 86

36 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

He has already managed to beat the harassment charges for a year or more now. He managed to manipulate the COVID Numbers well enough as well. Another week or two nd they will start slut shaming the women and all will be forgiven. He might even have take a trip to rehab but he's going nowhere. 

There’s a thing called critical mass.  Before there was just a drip here or there. But he’s not getting the benefit of the doubt from media anymore.  There’s a story almost every day now in the NYT, CNN, WaPo, NY Post, NBC News and so on.  Things are gaining steam. Could he possibly survive it enough to not resign or be impeached?  Maybe, maybe not.  He’s not going to be a viable candidate for much of anything after that though. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

There’s a thing called critical mass.  Before there was just a drip here or there. But he’s not getting the benefit of the doubt from media anymore.  There’s a story almost every day now in the NYT, CNN, WaPo, NY Post, NBC News and so on.  Things are gaining steam. Could he possibly survive it enough to not resign or be impeached?  Maybe, maybe not.  He’s not going to be a viable candidate for much of anything after that though. 

WORDS.MEAN.NOTHING.

Again, look at Ted Kennedy.

Edited by DKW 86

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/nyregion/cuomo-nursing-home-deaths.html

Is Trump gov of NY? Asking for a friend....

The number — more than 9,000 by that point in June — was not public, and the governor’s most senior aides wanted to keep it that way. They rewrote the report to take it out, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The New York Times.

The extraordinary intervention, which came just as Mr. Cuomo was starting to write a book on his pandemic achievements, was the earliest act yet known in what critics have called a monthslong effort by the governor and his aides to obscure the full scope of nursing home deaths.

After the state attorney general revealed earlier this year that thousands of deaths of nursing home residents had been undercounted, Mr. Cuomo finally released the complete data, saying he had withheld it out of concern that the Trump administration might pursue a politically motivated inquiry into the state’s handling of the outbreak in nursing homes.

But Mr. Cuomo and his aides actually began concealing the numbers MONTHS EARLIER, as his aides were battling their own top health officials, and well before requests for data arrived from federal authorities, according to documents and interviews with six people with direct knowledge of the discussions, who requested anonymity to describe the closed-door debates.

The central role played by the governor’s top aides reflected the lengths to which Mr. Cuomo has gone in the middle of a deadly pandemic to control data, brush aside public health expertise and bolster his position as a national leader in the fight against the coronavirus.

As the nursing home report was being written, the New York State Health Department’s data — contained in a chart reviewed by The Times that was included in a draft — put the death toll roughly 50 percent higher than the figure then being cited publicly by the Cuomo administration.

The Health Department worked on the report with McKinsey, a consulting firm hired by Mr. Cuomo to help with the pandemic response. The chart they created compared nursing home deaths in New York with other states. New York’s total of 9,250 deaths far exceeded that of the next-highest state, New Jersey, which had 6,150 at the time.

The changes sought by the governor’s aides fueled bitter exchanges with health officials working on the report. The conflict punctuated an already tense and devolving relationship between Mr. Cuomo and his Health Department, one that would fuel an exodus of the state’s top public health officials.

merlin_178715055_20609663-2cd6-4165-8de9

Mr. Cuomo has faced some criticism for an order, issued early in the pandemic, that told nursing homes they could not turn away patients who had tested positive for the coronavirus.  Credit...Yuki Iwamura/Associated Press

In the past week, Mr. Cuomo’s once seemingly unshakable grip on power has been buffeted by a wave of scandal. Three women have accused the governor of inappropriate conduct, including workplace sexual harassment. On Wednesday, he publicly apologized for his actions, which are soon to be subjected to an independent investigation overseen by the state attorney general.

The crisis over Mr. Cuomo’s behavior with women came just as his administration had been dealing with political turmoil over nursing homes. Lawmakers moved to strip him of the emergency powers he had been granted during the pandemic, and federal prosecutors in Brooklyn opened a separate investigation.

An outside lawyer hired by the state has begun interviewing officials about the handling of nursing homes during the pandemic, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.

The aides who were involved in changing the report included Melissa DeRosa, the governor’s top aide; Linda Lacewell, the head of the state’s Department of Financial Services; and Jim Malatras, a former top adviser to Mr. Cuomo brought back to work on the pandemic. None had public health expertise.

In response to a detailed list of questions from The Times sent on Tuesday, the governor’s office responded with a statement Thursday night from Beth Garvey, a special counsel, who said “the out-of-facility data was omitted after D.O.H. could not confirm it had been adequately verified.” She added that the additional data did not change the conclusion of the report.

The tension over the death count dated to the early weeks of the pandemic when Mr. Cuomo issued an order preventing nursing homes from turning away people discharged from the hospital after being treated for Covid-19. The order was similar to ones issued in other states aimed at preventing hospitals from becoming overwhelmed.

Edited by DKW 86

Cuomo stripped of emergency powers by NY Senate, assembly

"Gold standard," we were told...'member that? 🙄 

That comment has aged about as well as a week-old cantaloupe rind in south Baldwin County summer sun.

He might not be up to his ass in baby alligators yet, but they're on their way.

tenor (1).gif

Edited by SLAG-91