Good analysis

bigbird

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Deal. Send him our way, we'll train him how to play football and send him back to the NFL like Theismann, Moon etc etc.😉

take him now PLEASE

17 hours ago, Win4AU said:

The whole 5 wide thing with Tank or whoever the RB was out wide on 3rd and short or any play over and over blew my mind.  Didn’t even try to run the ball until it was well out of hand .  Probably practiced that all fall for just that game and when it didn’t work there was no effort to change.  I’d rather have seen old school Gus, run it up the middle than that UGA game plan. 

A ton of games just felt like Chad attempted to do the farthest thing from what Gus would do as possible 

34 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

And a bit of well-timed luck.

quite a bit of it it seems

On 6/7/2021 at 11:13 AM, JuscAUse! said:

I heard some of that, too. But I also heard scheme many times. Like did they have one and what was it? He also did call out Bo several times. Sounds to me like he thought the whole offense was garbage. 

Didn't we all!

22 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Not sure why anyone is surprised. His scheme was and always been elementary. Effective for a short period but not for the long term, especially when teams figured it out. It was often masked by great OLINE/HB play, most specifically good offensive linemen and good HB like Smith and Prosch Without good offensive linemen, you just can see the ills of his offense more clearly. Scary to watch. 

I don't think teams figured it out.  The rules changed allowing the D to equally sub as the O.  After that Gus was never able to play to an advantage when evenly matched on the field and failed to evolve with the rules.

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

I don't think teams figured it out.  The rules changed allowing the D to equally sub as the O.  After that Gus was never able to play to an advantage when evenly matched on the field and failed to evolve with the rules.

not just the substitution, but the hands off treatment of receivers, especially over the middle. 

22 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

maybe that was what confused the O-line?  3rd and short. call a play and run it. 

That makes some sense. The RT not blocking the hand-down left DE would suggest it was some type of option play, probably an inside zone read, maybe an RPO, and instead we checked to a passing play.

20 hours ago, Barnacle said:

With an extra rusher coming on 3rd down, this is just absurd. 

2058929636_Screenshot_20210607-1849092.thumb.png.975207f4a9efc6b6dbbbbe70476d1d60.png

Remember how we handled Georgia's defense blitzing from its right side during 2017?

2nd and 8, Ryan Davis, WR slip screen, touchdown.

3rd and 3, Kerryon Johnson, RB slip screen, touchdown.

Gus was not calling the plays then.

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Fast substitution was only part of Gus' offense. The other part, which he went away from as well, was not substituting, and having hybrid players. A flanker who doubles as a second running back. A tight end who can play split out as a tall wide receiver. We did this well in 2013 with Ricardo Louis as the hybrid WR/RB, and C.J. Uzomah as the hybrid TE/WR.

Gus got away from this and started substituting frequently. Sometimes nonsensically (switching one WR for another), sometimes in a way that telegraphed the play selection.

A lack of need to substitute was also the original idea behind the Wildcat. If were in a standard personnel set, with two WRs, a TE, an RB, and a H-Back, and you had a WR who could be a jet sweep threat, an RB who could be the Wildcat back, a big H-Back and tight-end, and went with unbalanced the line, you got a short-yardage package with no need to substitute. You "traped" the standard or nickle defense on the field. But once Gus started substituting into a wildcat, with all kind of additional players, it lost its ability to catch defenses off-guard.

If you look at what other offensive minded coaches did, such as Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss, Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian at Bama, and Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott at Clemson, they all evolved their offenses. Freeze was big on package plays and no substitution. Kiffin and Sarkisian brought not just the spread to Alabama, but the RPO game. And Elliot and Scott completely revamped Chad Morris' playbook to better take advantage of Deshaun Watson's option skills while simultaneously reducing the risk of injury. While these other teams became less predictable, we became more predictable.

21 hours ago, meh130 said:

Fast substitution was only part of Gus' offense. The other part, which he went away from as well, was not substituting, and having hybrid players. A flanker who doubles as a second running back. A tight end who can play split out as a tall wide receiver. We did this well in 2013 with Ricardo Louis as the hybrid WR/RB, and C.J. Uzomah as the hybrid TE/WR.

Gus got away from this and started substituting frequently. Sometimes nonsensically (switching one WR for another), sometimes in a way that telegraphed the play selection.

A lack of need to substitute was also the original idea behind the Wildcat. If were in a standard personnel set, with two WRs, a TE, an RB, and a H-Back, and you had a WR who could be a jet sweep threat, an RB who could be the Wildcat back, a big H-Back and tight-end, and went with unbalanced the line, you got a short-yardage package with no need to substitute. You "traped" the standard or nickle defense on the field. But once Gus started substituting into a wildcat, with all kind of additional players, it lost its ability to catch defenses off-guard.

If you look at what other offensive minded coaches did, such as Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss, Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian at Bama, and Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott at Clemson, they all evolved their offenses. Freeze was big on package plays and no substitution. Kiffin and Sarkisian brought not just the spread to Alabama, but the RPO game. And Elliot and Scott completely revamped Chad Morris' playbook to better take advantage of Deshaun Watson's option skills while simultaneously reducing the risk of injury. While these other teams became less predictable, we became more predictable.

Exactly. IMO this was the reason he never evolved. Watch the 2013-2015 offenses and notice how they didn't substitute. The frustrating thing with Gus was when he continued to call the same play with the same package players subbing in. I specifically remember being shocked in 2019 when he brought a run package in and threw a pass to a wide open receiver on the short side of the field. Once. There might have been more, but I only remember that one. 

On 6/8/2021 at 8:31 AM, TexasTiger said:

And a bit of well-timed luck.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:06 AM, DAG said:

quite a bit of it it seems

Right. One game with a once in a lifetime play of a missed fg returned for a td. A second game with not one but two interceptions returned for touchdowns. One of them happened to be for 100 yards.

This is alot of stuff I was saying, I just said it too early and I said it in game threads where it turns out only a few people that know football are in game threads and you'll get murdered for analyzing the games in there.

7 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Right. One game with a once in a lifetime play of a missed fg returned for a td. A second game with not one but two interceptions returned for touchdowns. One of them happened to be for 100 yards.

We really do have insane stuff that happen during the iron bowl under Gus. If Bama won , it is usually blow out fashion. 

On 6/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, DAG said:

Sheer talent level and will power. Unbelievable 

Not really true.   It took amazing luck on two wins.   2017 was the only time Auburn was the better team 

18 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not really true.   It took amazing luck on two wins.   2017 was the only time Auburn was the better team 

When did I ever say were were better? we have always had talent to compete and yes lots of luck and yes will power to even be in the position to beat them. On paper, we have never been more talented than them. 

Archived