What's going on in the Athletic Dept and Lt. Gen Burgess?

steeleagle

45 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The way it’s told to me was Steele was asked to put a list together of what he’d need if Gus was fired during the season back in 19 I believe.   By folks who paid him. He did. All of the back stabbing stuff is false. This thing was spiraling out of control. But nothing happened because of the lack of leadership from the top. With Gus. 

That's so funny because I almost brought up Greg McElroy saying he was more prepared for the  NFL than Cam. Why did he say that? *Because someone asked him if he was.* What was he supposed to say?!?

That's exactly what I imagined the Steele scenario was. It's very gratifying to read this from you. Thanks for passing along. 

And yeah, 2020 was unfortunate. But after Gus screwed both Steele and Chip Lindsey so hard in 2017 and 2018, I was impressed it didn't happen sooner. 

• Like 4

Man this explains a bunch and it reminds me of many things I and others posted but was shot down. I think some of it may have been good stuff. But I'm not going to start talking and thinking about Gus, and get pissed off and ruin my day lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 2

The Gus Homers are not going to like the turn this thread took!

Thank you! WDEWDE!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The way it’s told to me was Steele was asked to put a list together of what he’d need if Gus was fired during the season back in 19 I believe.   By folks who paid him. He did. All of the back stabbing stuff is false. This thing was spiraling out of control. But nothing happened because of the lack of leadership from the top. With Gus. 

I have heard the same about Steele being told to get ready in 2019. This came from someone who would know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

The Gus Homers are not going to like the turn this thread took!

Thank you! WDEWDE!

Lol you know what's coming......Gus sure stays on you guys mind 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus wasn’t one for confrontations and would walk away from any kind of those problems. Just ignore and hope they go away.

That’s the alpha mentality you want from the man running the most important/lucrative athletic program, lol. Good lord, the definition of beta mentality 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, fredst said:

That’s the alpha mentality you want from the man running the most important/lucrative athletic program, lol. Good lord, the definition of beta mentality 

This is what we're trying to explain to people about what this program could be. Because if THAT dude can attract enough coaching and playing talent to stumble into that 2017 season?!? Great gotahmighty, the possibilities!!!

BRYAN HARSIN RACED CARS FOR MONEY GUYS HE'S BASICALLY VIN DIESEL

But no seriously WDE's comments are really illuminating and really flesh out the answer to the OP's question. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Steele coup was perpetuated by a lot of media who cover Auburn, and former players, IIRC. It's curious to me how so many people got it wrong, who you would expect to have good info. And that goes for a lot of what happened during the hiring/firing fiasco. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The Steele coup was perpetuated by a lot of media who cover Auburn, and former players, IIRC. It's curious to me how so many people got it wrong, who you would expect to have good info. And that goes for a lot of what happened during the hiring/firing fiasco. 

Can't speak for former players, but with the Kick Six seven years in the rearview, I can imagine even the Auburn beat felt compelled to accumulate page views however they could.

And not only was it seven years, but it was seven years of them trying to cover an extraordinarily paranoid and non-media friendly head coach. So there probably wasn't a lot of sympathy, either. 

Full disclosure, I even started to defend Brandon Marcello after a time, and felt relief on his behalf when he left the beat.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

But no seriously WDE's comments are really illuminating and really flesh out the answer to the OP's question. 

How many people scrolled up right here to see what the dang OP was? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Can't speak for former players, but with the Kick Six seven years in the rearview, I can imagine even the Auburn beat felt compelled to accumulate page views however they could.

And not only was it seven years, but it was seven years of them trying to cover an extraordinarily paranoid and non-media friendly head coach. So there probably wasn't a lot of sympathy, either. 

Full disclosure, I even started to defend Brandon Marcello after a time, and felt relief on his behalf when he left the beat.

Wonder what the feel is among Auburn writers with Harsin. The last few years definitely seem like they must have been a weird time to cover us. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Wonder what the feel is among Auburn writers with Harsin. The last few years definitely seem like they must have been a weird time to cover us. 

Good question. I honestly think media management from the HC matters quite a bit and I hope Harsin is good at it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Good question. I honestly think media management from the HC matters quite a bit and I hope Harsin is good at it.

No Doubt.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Seems like so far everybody is appreciating the presence of an alpha and a leader around the program imo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

One person has claimed that Harsin cut off the recruiting sites from getting as much info as they used to get. Supposedly, that has them low-talking Auburn. I wouldn't know because I don't subscribe to those pay sites.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

One person has claimed that Harsin cut off the recruiting sites from getting as much info as they used to get. Supposedly, that has them low-talking Auburn. I wouldn't know because I don't subscribe to those pay sites.

giphy.gif

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus hired a firm to come in and look for bugs and hidden camera's around the complex and practice field before the 2019 Iron Bowl. He was convinced that bama had it bugged and was watching him. Stuff like this was happening all the time. Wasn't that teams could just watch film of the games and stop him. They were spying on him. 

Ho.

Ly.

Ish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus hired a firm to come in and look for bugs and hidden camera's around the complex and practice field before the 2019 Iron Bowl. He was convinced that bama had it bugged and was watching him. Stuff like this was happening all the time. Wasn't that teams could just watch film of the games and stop him. They were spying on him. 

Time for somebody to write a book.

With a movie deal.