We're going to kill people with our speed

aubiefifty

'We're going to kill people with our speed,' Colby Wooden predicts Auburn's pass rush to be 'dangerous'

Lance Dawe
1-2 minutes

Auburn’s pass rush seemed to have had trouble putting pressure on the quarterback in 2020. Auburn’s pressure rate during opponent pass plays was 17.2%, which was 10th in the SEC (via Secstatcat).

Auburn brought in quite a few transfers to try and bolster a defensive line that was also giving up 5.1 yards per rush attempt in 2020, their worst mark in SEC play in the last four seasons.

Auburn defensive lineman Colby Wooden spoke to the media on Saturday. He had very high praise for his fellow defensive lineman.

We’re going to be dangerous this year. With TD Moultry and Derick Hall, they’ll be speedsters off the edge. Me, Marcus (Harris), and Tony (Fair) will be up the middle. We’ll be dangerous. And the new transfer Eku (Leota) too. He’s surprised me too. He’s a very good pass rusher as well. We’re going to kill a lot of people with our speed, as well as our techniques.

Contact/Follow us @theauburnwire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. 

• Like 5

And Pegues, who projects as an absolute sniper from the middle on passing downs, wasn't even mentioned. 

Gus did a good job of finding elite speed and I'm hope Harsin keeps that going. So far, so good.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And Pegues, who projects as an absolute sniper from the middle on passing downs, wasn't even mentioned. 

Gus did a good job of finding elite speed and I'm hope Harsin keeps that going. So far, so good.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Wonder why he wasn’t mentioned? Mason referenced him, but the player doesn’t? 

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Hopefully not meaningful. Although Mason's comments could be interpreted as Pegues is taking longer than hoped with the mental part of it. Certainly some frustration alluded to. But it's early and most of these guys have dedicated many years to their specific craft whereas Pegues hasn't. Also, he seems to be one of those guys to whom everything athletic has just come easily and naturally. Maybe this is the point where learning the finer points of technique becomes something altogether different than what he's experienced before.

And there's my all-coffee-no-real-info response for ya. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's the one component we've routinely missed defensively over the past decade. We've had some players flash for a play or two and Holland was solid for a season, but overall, it was a large missing piece.

I'll never understand how we didn't lead the country in sacks with Brown, Davidson, and company eating up the entire OL for a few years.  Just couldn't get consistent pressure from edge......didn't make sense.

That 2019 offense really pissed me off considering the D we had, we could've..........never mind, doesn't matter, IT'S A FREAKING NEW DAY, BABY! (in my Frank Costanza voice)

p-seinfeld-jerry-stiller.jpg

Edited by USATiger
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I'll never understand how we didn't lead the country in sacks with Brown, Davidson, and company eating up the entire OL for a few years.  Just couldn't get consistent pressure from edge......didn't make sense.

That 2019 offense really pissed me off considering the D we had, we could've..........never mind, doesn't matter, IT'S A FREAKING NEW DAY, BABY! (in my Frank Costanza voice)

p-seinfeld-jerry-stiller.jpg

Me the last few seasons

serenity-now.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hopefully not meaningful. Although Mason's comments could be interpreted as Pegues is taking longer than hoped with the mental part of it. Certainly some frustration alluded to. But it's early and most of these guys have dedicated many years to their specific craft whereas Pegues hasn't. Also, he seems to be one of those guys to whom everything athletic has just come easily and naturally. Maybe this is the point where learning the finer points of technique becomes something altogether different than what he's experienced before.

And there's my all-coffee-no-real-info response for ya. 

Hopefully not meaningful. I’ll be pleased to see unscripted players start to talk about his performance, though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

He's played DT for like 12 practices.  I'm not sure he's really ready to be relied on.  I'm not expecting much out of him this year.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Haven't heard this guy's name in awhile. Anyone know the deal on him? Thought he was supposed to be a speed/edge guy?

https://247sports.com/player/romello-height-46080260/

Coach Mason did mention him when he did his PC yesterday. He is not a veteran, so guys like TD,  Hall, Leota are going to get more reps bc of their experience. But Mason did mention Romello, probably as a depth guy or situational Edge rusher.

And don't forget about Brooks who will be raw but talented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

one of the players said he was pushing the middle of the o line in. it is in one of the articles posted  but i cannot remember which one. and i think they were saying with little technique.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Shouldn’t be difficult at a program who dominated the SEC in the 80s with their Front 7 speed, then again from 2003-2007.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Me the last few seasons

serenity-now.gif

That dude was hilarious on Seinfeld 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Viper said:

Shouldn’t be difficult at a program who dominated the SEC in the 80s with their Front 7 speed, then again from 2003-2007.

"But those were different days."

Tubs was ahead of his time and didn't have nearly the competition for talent that we do now. Been over 30 years since Dye did it. Of course, speed is everywhere you look now. But I hope we stay at the front of the pack while also getting bigger at the nose and at LB. I love the LBs we've got but I believe @cole256 when he says we need to find a couple of those 250-265lb guys to take away the inside runs and cover TEs.

Sorry, rambling. Ultimately you're right that if we prioritize a fast front 7 (band name, @Tiger Refuge) then there's no reason we shouldn't have one. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, USATiger said:

When it isn't coached, it's tough.

Too many people make Steele out to be something he wasn't: A great DC.  He was adequate. We are much better on today than we have been since Steele came on board.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

'We're going to kill people with our speed,' Colby Wooden predicts Auburn's pass rush to be 'dangerous'

Lance Dawe
1-2 minutes

Auburn’s pass rush seemed to have had trouble putting pressure on the quarterback in 2020. Auburn’s pressure rate during opponent pass plays was 17.2%, which was 10th in the SEC (via Secstatcat).

Auburn brought in quite a few transfers to try and bolster a defensive line that was also giving up 5.1 yards per rush attempt in 2020, their worst mark in SEC play in the last four seasons.

Auburn defensive lineman Colby Wooden spoke to the media on Saturday. He had very high praise for his fellow defensive lineman.

We’re going to be dangerous this year. With TD Moultry and Derick Hall, they’ll be speedsters off the edge. Me, Marcus (Harris), and Tony (Fair) will be up the middle. We’ll be dangerous. And the new transfer Eku (Leota) too. He’s surprised me too. He’s a very good pass rusher as well. We’re going to kill a lot of people with our speed, as well as our techniques.

Contact/Follow us @theauburnwire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. 

They are going to have to "show us". Damn sure couldn't the last few years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's the one component we've routinely missed defensively over the past decade. We've had some players flash for a play or two and Holland was solid for a season, but overall, it was a large missing piece.

So much so, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to pass rush.  Although I like the personnel pieces in place. 

• Like 1