Scouting report penn state highlights

aubiefifty

this is for the cats that want to see what they looked like saturday....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

if any of you ex and o guys see ways to attack or exploit penn state give us your insight please.

They're physical.  That's the biggest takeaway I saw in the Wisconsin game.  I do think we should be a step faster, but our O line especially can't get pushed around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They struggled running the ball for the 2nd straight week. Passing wasn't great either, tbqh.

I'm not worried about our defense.

• Like 1

I watched the Wisconsin game and Wisconsin ran on PSU until they got in red zone and then bogged down with unforced turnovers.

PSU could not run on Wisconsin and hit on a couple of key passes to salvage the game.  They are good defensively.

If I am coaching PSU, then I take away AU's run game, loading up on the line of scrimmage and making Bo Nix beat me throwing the ball to a bunch of unproven receivers. I'd double Demetrious Robertson.  If I'm AU, I'm unleashing my tight ends to tie up their LBs (which we did not show against ASU) and mixing in runs.  We can beat their front, but their LBs and DBs are solid and we need to keep them honest and not cheating up to support run defense.  It may wind up a field goal game and I like our kicker better than theirs.

• Like 7

Agree - we’ll need good second level blocks.  

Don’t know how comfortable I am about our OL beating their DL, but we’ve  played well this year, time to see it against better competition.   I’m more optimistic than I thought I’d be before the season started.  

• Like 1

Nix will have to be sharp. Especially on the behind the line passes to the wideouts. There is no hiding the weaknesses in the line along with the depth issues. Auburn will not run between the tackles unless Nix can force the PS linebackers outside to assist there cornerbacks. Harsin will probably turn Nix loose to run at will to the outside and that will help some but eliminating misses and dropped passes in practice this week would be a hell of a lot better solution. I haven't see a spread yet but would expect PS to be favored 3 to 7. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I watched the Wisconsin game and Wisconsin ran on PSU until they got in red zone and then bogged down with unforced turnovers.

PSU could not run on Wisconsin and hit on a couple of key passes to salvage the game.  They are good defensively.

If I am coaching PSU, then I take away AU's run game, loading up on the line of scrimmage and making Bo Nix beat me throwing the ball to a bunch of unproven receivers. I'd double Demetrious Robertson.  If I'm AU, I'm unleashing my tight ends to tie up their LBs (which we did not show against ASU) and mixing in runs.  We can beat their front, but their LBs and DBs are solid and we need to keep them honest and not cheating up to support run defense.  It may wind up a field goal game and I like our kicker better than theirs.

I think the good thing is we will have more things that we havent shown than they will have. We have been extremely vanilla on both offense and defense. Hoping that gives a big play or two.

• Like 3

Watched a little of PSU yesterday and if they run the same defensive scheme, look for the RBs in the passing game to open them up. Chunk plays are there if we can hit Tank, Shivers, or Hunter in stride over the middle. 

• Like 2

I'll do a more in-depth break down later but it really comes down to QB play. They will sell out to stop the run and blitz like crazy while trying to confuse Bo with fake blitzes and not knowing who drops back.

Their secondary doesn't look impressive and neither do their receivers (knocks on wood). Gotta shut down 21 and do a better job guarding those swing passes out of the backfield.

Can't let that QB have clean pockets like he did in this highlight. Honestly think Alabama State > Ball State lol. 

Our line still has to prove itself.  Although against Ala St they had two huge mountains of flesh playing inside d line. Those guys can’t be trapped screened or misdirected. They were difficult to remove from the play. PSU will have much quicker d linemen who we can possibly trap and misdirect. It does make them tougher to pass protect from their rush. I think that is where we will be tested.

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

I think the good thing is we will have more things that we havent shown than they will have. We have been extremely vanilla on both offense and defense. Hoping that gives a big play or two.

True but also our 1st year in this offense so not much experience running those “non vanilla” plays.

Looks like they can bring pressure (Ball State OL obviously), but we all know our OL probably ain't much better. That worries me for Bo. We'll need RB and TE check downs to be there as a safety blanket. Could be a good time for either Fromm, Deal, or King to step up and give JSS some help. 

• Like 3

Screenshot_20210912-110119_ESPN.thumb.jpg.1ffb2c24371991bb0746d423f3527f93.jpg

Some interesting stats to look at. The moral of the story is don't give Penn State free points (coverage break downs) and don't turn it over.

Wisconsin should have dominated that game if you look at TOP. If we hold Penn State to 50 yards rushing and the secondary isn't porous I think we win.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Screenshot_20210912-110119_ESPN.thumb.jpg.1ffb2c24371991bb0746d423f3527f93.jpg

Some interesting stats to look at. The moral of the story is don't give Penn State free points (coverage break downs) and don't turn it over.

Wisconsin should have dominated that game if you look at TOP. If we hold Penn State to 50 yards rushing and the secondary isn't porous I think we win.

I too enjoy highlighters 

• Like 1

I feel better about this than before the season.  I hope this is the game that Bo Nix gets it done on the road. Our offense seemed rather vanilla yesterday and I'm excited to see what these guys can do with a full package of plays. 

4 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Most of this...

The LBs can't cheat up to focus on the run if we run 2 TEs and  have check downs to the TE on every play.  They would have to play us honest.   We have shown enough passing strengths to get their attn.   I think we have to be successful on short and midfield completions to allow the RBs to be successful.  Penn St has not seen RBs like any of our three backs that will get carries.   TE play and our versatile backs are our strength vs their D I believe. 

I would put our D up against Wisc D in a heartbeat.  I saw that game too.    If Auburn scores 21, we win.    And I think we will, I predict the good guys win 28 - 17.  There is a chance we also open a can and win by 3 TDs.    The team responded to Harsin's challenge at half and our O made adjustments during the second quarter yesterday.   Gone are the days we have to wait until the half to 'figure out our adjustments'.  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 3

If our OL doesn't totally crap the bed I don't think they can stop Tank/Hunter

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Are we saying Hunter is now QB#2 I don't get why our OL is so soft..

With the exception of Phillip Lutz.., our tight ends have been in witness protection since Terry Bowden used them to beat Florida at Florida Field in about 1994 with Patrick Nix as quarterback.  It would be fitting for Harsin to bring them out of moth balls for Bo to use this season.  Harsin is suppose to value tight ends and I hope he will use them wisely this year, especially in the PSU game.

• Like 2

Another factor: we need our key guys to be in Happy Valley come Saturday, and not in protocol. We need all hands on deck and I like our chances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

This. So far Tank and JH have had limited carries. Give those two the ball about 20 times each and come the fourth quarter, tacklers will be less than eager to take them on. 

Secondary definitely HAS to play better. Did not look good besides the pick 6 against ASU. Their QB had too much time in the pocket as well. Like everyone else has said the o-line has to come with it because I believe we can run all over them if so. They're gonna be testing Bo all game and he needs to be on top of his checks at the line and this is what Harsin and Bobo have coached him about. I wouldn't be surprised if we won by 14+.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

With the exception of Phillip Lutz.., our tight ends have been in witness protection since Terry Bowden used them to beat Florida at Florida Field in about 1994 with Patrick Nix as quarterback.  It would be fitting for Harsin to bring them out of moth balls for Bo to use this season.  Harsin is suppose to value tight ends and I hope he will use them wisely this year, especially in the PSU game.

Man, did we use Andy Fuller like a champ!  That guy could open up the middle!

• Like 2