What actually happened during the psu game

cole256

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

What I saw.

slight improvement across the board except at WR.  I am frustrated  when I see other teams' WRs   make  diving one handed circus catches while our WRs drop balls that hit them in the numbers.  

DL:  was manhandled most of the game.   Ran some numbers through my head during the game (so it is not real accurate),  and the PSU QB had about 5+ seconds on average before having to get rid of the ball.  That is not good!

OL:  could not stay on blocks.   Nix had an average of around 2.3 seconds to get rid of the ball or run.   (compare to 5+ seconds for PSU)

Nix:  Looked a lot better to me.   Still has some throwing issues that are exponentially compounded by our WR's   problems catching easy throws,  and inability to make that "circus catch" when needed to make up for rushed or  poor throws.  They also don't seem to fight very hard for contested balls. 

RBs:   AUsome!   I wish we would have seen our bruiser,  Sean Jackson, early in the game to soften up PSU's aggressive LBs.   Hunter is going to push Tank.  We could have used Shivers speed.   

Coaching:   all things considered ,  I am happy with coaching.  There were a few bonehead offensive calls,  but anyone who has ever coach anything knows that in the heat of battle you don't always make the right decisions.   Sometimes an idea pops in your head that seems right at the time  but turns out to be , well,  not so good.   Overall, I didn't see any more bonehead calls than any other coach.   Far Far less than a Gus directed plan!    Defense needs some work but are close to being elite.    LB's need to work on pass coverage.

If's and buts:   any ONE of a multitude of things would have given us a win.  If this game was a home or neutral site game.  If our WR made ONE circus catch, etc..

I am proud of the way we fought.    The cards were stacked against us with adversity.  New coach/system that is still being implemented  vs coach that has a fully implemented system and has all "his type" players.     A talent gap at some key positions.   Traveling FAR to a top 10 teams house with a loud and intimidating fan base.   the White out.  College gameday adding to the PSU hype and energy.  Negative things that happened during the game. Mccreary, Papoe. etc.

And yet, we walked into a top 10 team's house and showed we belong.  We didn't win the game,  but we had PSU's ball sacks shriveled up for most of the game. 

I am confident we will continue to get better.

WDE  

I’m not meaning to get confrontational or anything, and you had me up to Coaching, but you stated that you were 1.  pretty happy with the coaching and 2. the defense was close to being elite. Offense play calls were pedestrian, with some catastrophic.   Defensively We are looking elite in stopping the run, BUT Sean Clifford, a veteran but middling-to-good quarterback, picked us apart, going 28 for 32 with 280 yards. Now, I don’t believe it is our personnel on the field that is responsible for that, and I lay that enormous turd at the feet of Derek Mason, but that is anything but elite.  Again, I love our athletes and I think individually many are indeed elite, but the performance was not elite nor did allowing 28 of 32 passes for 280 yards, 2 TDS, and a win, even come close to suggesting we are improving there, much less get anywhere within 100 miles of Elite status. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You are out of your mind

So the truth comes out. You think Bo lost the game. Your hate Bo mantra gets old. You can’t get over how history has proven you wrong about how Gatewood should have been the QB. This game was lost to a critical turnover and our lack of pass rush which resulted in our lack of pass defense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Not sure how you do one without the other. I don’t see how Bo’s deficiencies don’t show up in practice, but I’m betting Backups do also. 

Guess this is going to turn into another Bo thread. 

If so, someone go chart his throws and let's pick them apart the incompletions one by one, OBJECTIVELY.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Bo was mediocre.  He did seem to have his happy feet more under control, but still made some mind-numbingly bad throws and reads

He looks fundamentally better and seems to have some better pocket awareness, but he's still not  that much better. His biggest issue outside those two things was deep ball accuracy...doesn't seem to have gotten better. Those moon shots were odd.

Yeah there were probably more drops than we should have, but still too many bad throws.

I had hope his fundamental improvement would make him a better/more accurate QB. It's been marginal. He makes some really good throws. But too many bad ones or unwatchable balls.

Bo left it all on the field, extended many drives, plays his heart out. But, it is what it is. Win or lose, we are going to be doing it with Bo at the helm. He is not consistently the playmaker we hoped he would be at this point in his career, but VERY FEW are. Precious few. He sits in a large group that has that level of talent.  That group is enormous compared to elite quarterbacks.  He will be the reason for a win more often than being the reason for a loss.  He is very serviceable, occasionally better than that, and probably slightly above average in the SEC and is showing improvement. We hoped for a little bit more, and I think he is maybe close. He may never make that jump.  He hasn’t really shown anything suggesting that he will make that jump to the next level of talent. But he is the best we have. Big gap between QB 1 and QB 2/3.  

Now, ironically, we saw what better coaching can do when you have one of these serviceable-but-not-elite quarterbacks. Better coaching lifts a Sean Clifford.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

bring in Finley and utilize his 6’7” long body. I thought we missed a gut check opportunity for our staff on that call. 

I don't think there was ever a real option to bring in Finley. That game was never out of hand and still winnable. You can't pull your starter then...maybe if Bo was having a UF type performance 

14 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

So the truth comes out. You think Bo lost the game. Your hate Bo mantra gets old. You can’t get over how history has proven you wrong about how Gatewood should have been the QB. This game was lost to a critical turnover and our lack of pass rush which resulted in our lack of pass defense. 

No I think the part of saying if you switched QB's it would be the same game. It's funny how you all can't be objective while saying someone else is biased....but as usual point out ANYTHING about Bo that I have said that's not true.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Most dispiriting aspect of the game for me. I predicted that our DL would win the game for us. Part of that was scheme but inarguably a disappointment and arguably what *lost* the game. 

We did hold them under a hundred yards rushing but at some point they might've realized they had no need to.

I think that’s on Derek Mason. He crapped the bed last night

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't think there was ever a real option to bring in Finley. That game was never out of hand and still winnable. You can't pull your starter then...maybe if Bo was having a UF type performance 

Bringing a player in on a situational play isn’t pulling your starter, but do what you do WED…

Since this has (predictably) circled back to "all about Bo" ---

You know that Bo helped drive us down TWICE with the game on the line in the 4th quarter in a hostile environment to give his team a shot to tie it up. 

He didn't do that all on his own and he didn't lose it on his own either.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Bringing a player in on a situational play isn’t pulling your starter, but do what you do WED…

Gotcha, Didn't read it like it was for one play. Just in general 

• Like 1

I just don't get why it has to be either defend Bo at all costs or criticize him at all costs. Why can't we state that he does look better while also stating that he may never get to where we need him to, and that his lack of ability to stretch the field (either through injury or ability) is a huge problem. If we want to pound the rock, we also have to be able to hit on some deep balls to keep the defense honest. Bo DID NOT lose us this game, but we do need better if we want to really have a shot with the big boys

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Since this has (predictably) circled back to "all about Bo" ---

You know that Bo helped drive us down TWICE with the game on the line in the 4th quarter in a hostile environment to give his team a shot to tie it up. 

He didn't do that all on his own and he didn't lose it on his own either.

The drive where he made one pass? The other drive he made a great throw to the tight end and the rest were incompletes.....I guess you could be talking about the last drive with no time outs that they were in prevent

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

I just don't get why it has to be either defend Bo at all costs or criticize him at all costs. Why can't we state that he does look better while also stating that he may never get to where we need him to, and that his lack of ability to stretch the field (either through injury or ability) is a huge problem. If we want to pound the rock, we also have to be able to hit on some deep balls to keep the defense honest. Bo DID NOT lose us this game, but we do need better if we want to really have a shot with the big boys

It doesn't have to be but people make it. We should just be able to talk about the game and what happened in the game.

Instead we mostly get well if this would have happened or everybody else sucks but this guy was ok 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

What's being theorized is that that last call was to try to get a PI call on the DB. Y'all believe that?

If that's true I just think that's dumb because at the end of a game a ref is more apt to swallow his whistle and we are the away team. 

• Like 1

This is actually our base line game guys. I know some wanted to use the other games to justify is being good but that couldn't really be the case. So now we can see do we get better or do we have the same problems. If we repeat problems then we know they are an issue. 

I mean I wish we had won but we can still be a really good football team

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The drive where he made one pass? The other drive he made a great throw to the tight end and the rest were incompletes.....I guess you could be talking about the last drive with no time outs that they were in prevent

Both drives. He made plays on both drives. Again, you want to chart his throws and figure out who was to blame for those incompletions, either way? 

Occam’s Razor Theory says the most logical conclusion is the correct conclusion the vast majority of the time. This was just a really bad decision. Just bad. Awful. Cringeworthy. And it wasn’t a catchable pass and Cole is right that pass that DRob lost sight of was also uncatchable

Just now, ValleyTiger said:

Both drives. He made plays on both drives. Again, you want to chart his throws and figure out who was to blame for those incompletions, either way? 

20 yard run+foul was all on him too. And he actually completed two passes, not one. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

What's being theorized is that that last call was to try to get a PI call on the DB. Y'all believe that?

If true, that means Bobo had no confidence and wanted a fresh set of downs so he could feed Tank 3 more times in a row. Harsin also said post game he needed to look to see if Bo made the right read on the 5 options he had so maybe not. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, au302 said:

I just don't get why it has to be either defend Bo at all costs or criticize him at all costs

It's because both sides are valid, they just refuse to see another view point.

Bo has been good and bad. One side refuses to see or acknowledge any good when it's brought up

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I only see one and he had 5 attempts and completed 2 and one of those was a 2 yard play. I have no interest in the drive where the game is over and everybody is in prevent. But sure go ahead and chart it out

Edited by cole256