The Athletic says Auburn is one of the hardest jobs in college football

aubiefifty

I hate this stupid narrative that Auburn fans are a bunch of whackos and we're two steps away from devolving into Lord of the Flies at all times. It's 2021. We just started our fourth coaching staff this century. Stop acting like we're running these guys off after three years. You know who's actually doing that? Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida State, and Texas. The problem is outlets like ESPN and al.com have been banging this drum for the last 15 years without actually talking to any Auburn fans about what their expectations are. Then they all repeat what they hear each other say like they came to this conclusion on their own when none of these jokers have an original thought in their heads. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, keesler said:

In the last 20 yrs Auburn won a NC, something uga hasn't done in +40 yrs.  I'll never be one to support Auburn pulling out of the DSOR.

Get Better Auburn!  

That's true. Which is partly why i'd prefer to see UGA lose, even if it's to Bama, because the recent National title is the one thing Auburn has over Georgia right now. 

56 minutes ago, keesler said:

I just speaking about my friends opinion on the subject.  They hate Dabo's hokey, silly ways and the religious shtick he brings to his program. 

I don't care for Dabo for the same reasons, but I think a majority of Bama fans would love him. Bado's personality and religious/political beliefs certainly seem like they'd fit much better at a place like Alabama. Saban's beliefs are tolerated by Bama fans because of his huge success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

No, I don’t think that is what Bammers most believe. A high percentage of Bammers believe it is the school and Saban will hand off to the next dynasty guy ( probably Sweeney).

I don't think Sweeney comes. He is/will be the considered the greatest coach in the history of Clemson. He is only a couple of years away from being their winningest coach of all time and it will take him 13-14 less years than it did the current #1. Regardless of whether he played at uat or not why would you leave a place where you are the legend to go to another and replace the actual legend? ACC to SEC? If anything his job gets easier once Saban is gone because its one less team he has to worry about. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

I don't think Sweeney comes. He is/will be the considered the greatest coach in the history of Clemson. He is only a couple of years away from being their winningest coach of all time and it will take him 13-14 less years than it did the current #1. Regardless of whether he played at uat or not why would you leave a place where you are the legend to go to another and replace the actual legend? ACC to SEC? If anything his job gets easier once Saban is gone because its one less team he has to worry about. 

I agree with your premise, but I also believe Bammers think anyone will come if they ask in the correct way (as in Saban’s case).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Auburn pays their coaches WELL, they just unloaded +$25mm to fire a staff that couldn't compete at a high level and staff pulled top 5 salaries for years on end before they got axed.   So while it's a tough job, it's damn good pay whether you meet the expectations or not.

And it's NOT all about beating Alabama.  Everyone of us know good and well that AU needs to beat the mid-level SEC teams, crush the G5 teams and go at least 50-50 with our main rivals for a staff to be considered a success. 

THat's what most of us really just want us to attain on a consistent basis. As you say that doesn't mean we have to be exactly like Alabama, but if we are closer to GA, then we will be getting to that 50/50 balance on our main rivals.

The problem at least Gus was here, is we have been close to that with Alabama, but horrible trying to achieve that with GA and LSU and TaM was starting to get to that point too.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. No question about that.

We've just got to quit acting like that makes us special. I'm curious where the easy jobs are in P5 college football. 

No easy CFB jobs. The prestigious ones have the insane expectations so if you don’t win you’re out. 

The programs no one cares about are impossible to win at because no one wants to go there or donate money. There’s no in between. 

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

THat's what most of us really just want us to attain on a consistent basis. As you say that doesn't mean we have to be exactly like Alabama, but if we are closer to GA, then we will be getting to that 50/50 balance on our main rivals.

The problem at least Gus was here, is we have been close to that with Alabama, but horrible trying to achieve that with GA and LSU and TaM was starting to get to that point too.

Actually regarding Gus it was only Georgia IMO.  Auburn pretty much beat the hell out of LSU at home and I don’t believe Auburn lost to TAMU at college station. Alabama was almost every other year. The frustrating things was the dudes sprinkled in there.

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Actually regarding Gus it was only Georgia IMO.  Auburn pretty much beat the hell out of LSU at home and I don’t believe Auburn lost to TAMU at college station. Alabama was almost every other year. The frustrating things was the dudes sprinkled in there.

I agree with you. I give Gus props for being a good man and running the program as cleanly as any around. We really didn't have many embarrassing moments off the field. The lack of consistency was my issue with him. I also can't understand why he got away from what got him to AU in the first place. After Marshall left he tried to continually move away from the read option and hurry up. He didn't have to have a Marshall type to run it and honestly Nix with our backs the last couple of years could have ran it well. The scheme helped hide some of our deficiencies. The game as a whole is moving toward RPO's and he could have been on the front side of this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

I agree with you. I give Gus props for being a good man and running the program as cleanly as any around. We really didn't have many embarrassing moments off the field. The lack of consistency was my issue with him. I also can't understand why he got away from what got him to AU in the first place. After Marshall left he tried to continually move away from the read option and hurry up. He didn't have to have a Marshall type to run it and honestly Nix with our backs the last couple of years could have ran it well. The scheme helped hide some of our deficiencies. The game as a whole is moving toward RPO's and he could have been on the front side of this. 

He didn’t adapt to the Saban rule change which is a head scratcher. He had personnel for specific packages instead of having them able to run many different plays.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

That's true. Which is partly why i'd prefer to see UGA lose, even if it's to Bama, because the recent National title is the one thing Auburn has over Georgia right now. 

I don't care for Dabo for the same reasons, but I think a majority of Bama fans would love him. Bado's personality and religious/political beliefs certainly seem like they'd fit much better at a place like Alabama. Saban's beliefs are tolerated by Bama fans because of his huge success.

This! We already have to deal with the Bama-DeathStar...don't want to see a second DeathStar in our neighborhood.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAG said:

It is a hard job but this narrative that we get upset when we aren't national champions every year needs to die. The proof is in the duration of our previous coach. Arkansas had 3 different coaches in the time span  Gus was the coach at Auburn. LSU had two and both won national championships. Guess what? He will be getting fired probably after this year.

Fair points, but the reason the last coach withstood the pressure for that long was the performance of the staff in year 1, along with some timely wins and good recruiting.  Had we won 7 games in 2013, I have little doubt that we would have made a change again by the end of 2015.   By 2017 that good will was exhausted, but then the perfect storm and a University President that most would like to forget happened.

2 hours ago, woodford said:

No easy CFB jobs. The prestigious ones have the insane expectations so if you don’t win you’re out. 

The programs no one cares about are impossible to win at because no one wants to go there or donate money. There’s no in between. 

Sure there is relatively speaking.   Kentucky is a place that will tolerate 8-4, occasional 9 or 10 win team.  It’s the 6  win team that get him fired.  If Stoops maintains what he has right now, he can stay as long as he wants.   Iowa’s coach has been there over 20 years without ever winning anything the big one.  

3 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

Swinney would be a fool to leave Clemson to follow Saban. Nothing about that move would make good sense, but don't underestimate the level of Bama in Swinney. I could certainly see a scenario where he would commit career suicide to get his Gump butt back in Turd town. 

45 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Sure there is relatively speaking.   Kentucky is a place that will tolerate 8-4, occasional 9 or 10 win team.  It’s the 6  win team that get him fired.  If Stoops maintains what he has right now, he can stay as long as he wants.   Iowa’s coach has been there over 20 years without ever winning anything the big one.  

Kentucky of the past is not Kentucky of the future. Stops has them seeing the possibilities so they will expect more.

15 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Swinney would be a fool to leave Clemson to follow Saban. Nothing about that move would make good sense, but don't underestimate the level of Bama in Swinney. I could certainly see a scenario where he would commit career suicide to get his Gump butt back in Turd town. 

He has been at Clemson so long, I see a change coming, especially after this years drop off.

18 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Don’t underestimate the attraction to be 1 of 3 coaches to win at 2 different schools. Huge draw for these coaches.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Kentucky of the past is not Kentucky of the future. Stops has them seeing the possibilities so they will expect more.

No KY fan expects their football team will ever be on the same level as UGA, Florida, Bama and LSU.   Look at Vandy when Franklin was there.   Never won anything and the fans were crazy that he could win 8 games.    If you don’t think there are schools out there that if you go 8-4 at every year you will be golden, then you’re not be realistic.  

• Like 2

Just now, aubaseball said:

No KY fan expects their football team will ever be on the same level as UGA, Florida, Bama and LSU.   Look at Vandy when Franklin was there.   Never won anything and the fans were crazy that he could win 8 games.    If you don’t think there are schools out there that if you go 8-4 at every year you will be golden, then you’re not be realistic.  

I don’t at all put Today’s Kentucky at the same juncture as Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt obviously only stay in the SEC for the money. I don’t see Kentucky in the same light.

39 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Bahr told Dye Auburn was one of the toughest places to Coach football and advised against the job…..Dye paid him no attention. 

Bear WAS on the doorstep of retiring though.

Thinking about who replaces Rumplestiltskin, a lot of the time when a legendary coach retires/leaves, someone from within gets promoted. I kinda hope that happens here?

5 hours ago, keesler said:

I just speaking about my friends opinion on the subject.  They hate Dabo's hokey, silly ways and the religious shtick he brings to his program. 

What's wrong with his religious "shtick"?

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Bear WAS on the doorstep of retiring though.

Thinking about who replaces Rumplestiltskin, a lot of the time when a legendary coach retires/leaves, someone from within gets promoted. I kinda hope that happens here?

Bahr knew Dye would beat him before he retired…..jmo 

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Winning is a drug. If Kentucky basketball fans now taste winning in football they will then demand that excellence from the football program. 

12 hours ago, woodford said:

Winning is a drug. If Kentucky basketball fans now taste winning in football they will then demand that excellence from the football program. 

Agree to a certain extent.   A KY football team going 8-4 and occasional 9-3, 10-2 and the fan base will be very happy