Pope meets for 1 1/2 hours with Biden - Encourages Biden to continue receiving Communion

AU9377

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-president-biden-says-pope-told-him-he-should-keep-receiving-communion-2021-10-29/

ROME, Oct 29 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden said on Friday that Pope Francis had told him he should keep receiving Communion, amid fierce debate in the U.S. Church over Biden's position on abortion.

Biden has come under pressure from conservatives at home and his most ardent critics in the U.S. Church hierarchy have said he should be banned from receiving communion, the central sacrament of the faith.

Asked if the topic of abortion came up during a long meeting with pope in the Vatican earlier on Friday, Biden said no. He said the pope told him he was happy he was a good Catholic and he should "keep receiving communion".

The president, who goes to weekly Mass regularly and keeps a picture of the pope behind his desk in the Oval Office, has said he is personally opposed to abortion but cannot impose his views as an elected leader.

Edited by AU9377

BOOM! Next time anyone tells Biden he can't take communion he better tell them "Oh yeah?...well the pope said I can" then flip down his aviator glasses and take a lick of his ice cream. 

In all seriousness though. I'm 1) Glad Biden doesn't allow his religious beliefs to dictate how he leads the country and 2) That him and his religious head apparently had a good talk and everything is good. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

BOOM! Next time anyone tells Biden he can't take communion he better tell them "Oh yeah?...well the pope said I can" then flip down his aviator glasses and take a lick of his ice cream. 

In all seriousness though. I'm 1) Glad Biden doesn't allow his religious beliefs to dictate how he leads the country and 2) That him and his religious head apparently had a good talk and everything is good. 

A lot of the trads don't like Pope Francis. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

A lot of the trads don't like Pope Francis. 

Yeah, I know the Pope ultimately doesn't have the authority to decide if Biden can be offered communion or not, but it'd still be a pretty cool thing to say I think. 

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

Is now a good time to start believing something Biden says?  He has been known to "fudge" the truth a little. 

Having someone on the far right complain that Joe Biden fudges things from time to time is hilarious.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/trump-lies-false-presidency-b1790285.html

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Having someone on the far right complain that Joe Biden fudges things from time to time is hilarious.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/trump-lies-false-presidency-b1790285.html

Joe has a fifty year career of lying. Nothing but crickets from the left. Did you forget? Not the far right though, just right.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Joe has a fifty year career of lying. Nothing but crickets from the left. Did you forget? Not the far right though, just right.

I know.... you have to hate someone when they don't wear the same jersey as your team.  Unfortunately, that is what politics in this country has devolved into.  We would be much better off if we had several parties, instead of two capable of winning elections.  Until that changes, we are often faced with choosing between undesirable candidates.  With that in mind, I have no problem pointing out that in all those 50 years, nobody has questioned his character, much less found it necessary to keep a running total of lies that exceeded 30,000 over the span of 4 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

nobody has questioned his character,

The 1988 presidential campaign of Joe Biden, a Democratic U.S. Senator from Delaware, began in June 1987. Originally, Biden was regarded as potentially one of the strongest candidates in the field. In September 1987, however, reports emerged that he had plagiarized a speech by British Leader of the Opposition and Labour Leader, Neil Kinnock. Other allegations of past law school plagiarism and exaggerating his academic record soon followed and Biden withdrew from the race later that month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden_1988_presidential_campaign

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The 1988 presidential campaign of Joe Biden, a Democratic U.S. Senator from Delaware, began in June 1987. Originally, Biden was regarded as potentially one of the strongest candidates in the field. In September 1987, however, reports emerged that he had plagiarized a speech by British Leader of the Opposition and Labour Leader, Neil Kinnock. Other allegations of past law school plagiarism and exaggerating his academic record soon followed and Biden withdrew from the race later that month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden_1988_presidential_campaign

Compared to a man that uses disinformation as a cornerstone to his Presidency, there is no real debate.

Edited by AU9377

17 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Compared to a man that uses disinformation as a cornerstone to his Presidency, there is no real debate.

Again, you said *nobody* has questioned his character, I just pointed out that his character has been questioned.  You didn’t compare him to anybody so where is this coming from?

A President that told the American people that he would stay in Afghanistan until all US citizens were out that wanted to get out and then proceeds to leave 300+ citizens behind has no room to talk about character.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I know.... you have to hate someone when they don't wear the same jersey as your team.  Unfortunately, that is what politics in this country has devolved into.  We would be much better off if we had several parties, instead of two capable of winning elections.  Until that changes, we are often faced with choosing between undesirable candidates.  With that in mind, I have no problem pointing out that in all those 50 years, nobody has questioned his character, much less found it necessary to keep a running total of lies that exceeded 30,000 over the span of 4 years.

You been hibernating my friend.  He has been run out of campaigns for president twice over it. See 4AU response. 

2 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

You been hibernating my friend.  He has been run out of campaigns for president twice over it. See 4AU response. 

He has also been elected VP twice and President once.  Your point?

Biden was accused of plagiarizing a speech, not telling American documented lies over 30,000 times.  Is that why Melania thought a word for word recital of Michelle Obama's speech was a grand idea in 2016?

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He has also been elected VP twice and President once.  Your point?

Biden was accused of plagiarizing a speech, not telling American documented lies over 30,000 times.  Is that why Melania thought a word for word recital of Michelle Obama's speech was a grand idea in 2016?

You must have missed all the other stuff. Top ten in class, wrong college, drove a truck blah blah blah keep your doctor/plan there are hundreds. Btw counting one alleged lie 100 times is not 100 lies. You must be counting lies with a climate scientist.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

You must have missed all the other stuff. Top ten in class, wrong college, drove a truck blah blah blah keep your doctor/plan there are hundreds. Btw counting one alleged lie 100 times is not 100 lies. You must be counting lies with a climate scientist.

You really have no leg to stand on trying to equate Biden and Trump when it comes to a propensity to lie.  I'm even shocked that you would attempt that.

Many of you try to pretend that making a statement that years later ends up being wrong is a lie in the same way that telling the American people that he has a health plan, while he clearly has no such plan is similar.  They aren't.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/legacy-lies-trump-weaponized-mistruths-presidency/story?id=75335019

Edited by AU9377

50 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

You really have no leg to stand on trying to equate Biden and Trump when it comes to a propensity to lie.  I'm even shocked that you would attempt that.

Many of you try to pretend that making a statement that years later ends up being wrong is a lie in the same way that telling the American people that he has a health plan, while he clearly has no such plan is similar.  They aren't.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/legacy-lies-trump-weaponized-mistruths-presidency/story?id=75335019

Thats what you think Biden does when he makes up stuff and gets called out?  His plagiarism is legendary. Its not just turning out to be wrong later.  Look I got it you hate Trump. And you will deny anything said about Biden who throughout his career has been full of hooey. He literally makes up stories all the time and tells them followed by excuses from everybody.  I would rather have Trump as president ANY DAY than an empty suit that fails to even reach milquetoast level as a leader.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Joe Biden can do just fine in the lie department without comparing himself with anybody.  If you and other people on the left keep up with the *Donald Trump Evil* routine for the next 3 years, then you have nothing else to run on.  We will see if that strategy will work on November 2 during the Virginia Gubernatorial election.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Joe Biden can do just fine in the lie department without comparing himself with anybody.  If you and other people on the left keep up with the *Donald Trump Evil* routine for the next 3 years, then you have nothing else to run on.  We will see if that strategy will work on November 2 during the Virginia Gubernatorial election.

I'm not on "the left."  You don't have to be far left on the political spectrum to know an absolute fraud when you see one.  I don't think Trump is evil.  He is simply willing to do anything to feed his sense of self worth and everything else be damned.  I am genuinely embarrassed that so many adults bought his act hook line and sinker.  I understand what drives them to cling to someone like Trump.  He stokes the fear and apprehension that many have about the changing world around them.  He never speaks of one country, instead making every conversation one about us and them.  He depends on that division and his supporters' fears to fill his PAC with money that he can use in any way he wants. His idea of leadership is the grand trappings that come with being President.  He loves the praise and adulation, but he has never shown any sign of actually leading either domestically or on the International stage.

Unfortunately, there are many on the far left that are literally dumb enough to retreat from the middle and provide oxygen to a candidate like him.  They allow the conversation to get mired down in debates about trans women's bathrooms, critical race theory and other absurdities instead of focusing on real issues that need to be addressed. They don't discuss military spending, yet fight for 6 months over a 3 trillion dollar spending package while a bi partisan 1 1.5 trillion dollar package sits ready to address many long overdue problems.  A system of universal healthcare that would help both individuals and corporations alike is pushed farther down the inevitable road while costs continue to skyrocket and the health care system overall continues to get fatter and fatter on the tit of the American taxpayer.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Thats what you think Biden does when he makes up stuff and gets called out?  His plagiarism is legendary. Its not just turning out to be wrong later.  Look I got it you hate Trump. And you will deny anything said about Biden who throughout his career has been full of hooey. He literally makes up stories all the time and tells them followed by excuses from everybody.  I would rather have Trump as president ANY DAY than an empty suit that fails to even reach milquetoast level as a leader.  

I haven't denied Biden's propensity to say things, but nobody with a brain actually believes that is on the same level as Trump's 30,000 plus intentional lies. Trump downright lies about the past election every day and many of you are ok with that. It isn't cute and it isn't just politics. It is a sickness that is rotting away at this country.  If Trump was half the man that any of the past 10 Presidents have been, he would put country above self at some point.  That has yet to happen.

The constant Tucker Carlson cartoonish whataboutisms are ridiculous.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I haven't denied Biden's propensity to say things, but nobody with a brain actually believes that is on the same level as Trump's 30,000 plus intentional lies. Trump downright lies about the past election every day and many of you are ok with that. It isn't cute and it isn't just politics. It is a sickness that is rotting away at this country.  If Trump was half the man that any of the past 10 Presidents have been, he would put country above self at some point.  That has yet to happen.

The constant Tucker Carlson cartoonish whataboutisms are ridiculous.

If you go back and read this thread, you are the only person that is comparing Trump's lies to Biden's. Has anyone on this thread defended Trump's lies? Trump is a liar. We all know that. This thread is about Biden. Biden is a liar. You are LITERALLY the only person on this thread making a whataboutism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/31/2021 at 11:05 AM, Grumps said:

If you go back and read this thread, you are the only person that is comparing Trump's lies to Biden's. Has anyone on this thread defended Trump's lies? Trump is a liar. We all know that. This thread is about Biden. Biden is a liar. You are LITERALLY the only person on this thread making a whataboutism.

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a serious disease.............

• Facepalm 1

On 10/31/2021 at 11:05 AM, Grumps said:

whataboutism only exist in one direction

• Dislike 1

On 10/31/2021 at 9:05 AM, Grumps said:

Well duuuuh!  :-\

No one trying to demonize Biden - simply because he's a Democratic president - wants to make such a comparison (for obvious reasons). 

But like it or not, any discussion of Democratic governance is inherently about the choice that was made between Trump and Biden. If Biden were not president, then Trump would be. Ultimately, it's the only reason Biden was elected.

And that comparison remains inherent to any discussion of Democratic governance post election, because the Republican party is the only alternative and that party remains the party of Trump.  And Trump will run again.

'Whataboutism' in this case is unavoidable. 

Edited by homersapien
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a serious disease.............

Actually, it's difficult to overstate the depravity or Trump. 

The only possible Trump derangement syndrome existent is blindness to that reality.