Departures and Additions 2021-22 Postseason

Zeek

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Who beats him out?

Edit: saw your response. Don't see Zion or a non contributor (Reed) beating out a 6th year player to played well. 

Jucos are pretty hit or miss, I hope they are good but cautious on them being immediate contributors

That is fine and it is an easy opinion to have, but year in and out across college football teams lose talent and replace them with young guys.   Sometimes people forget that just because the back up didn’t play much doesn’t mean he sucked or wasn’t as good as the starter.   Reps in practice are huge.  Smoke is not an irreplaceable talent like a Baker, Adams, James, etc. at the safety position.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

That is fine and it is an easy opinion to have, but year in and out across college football teams lose talent and replace them with young guys.   Sometimes people forget that just because the back up didn’t play much doesn’t mean he sucked or wasn’t as good as the starter.   Reps in practice are huge.  Smoke is not an irreplaceable talent like a Baker, Adams, James, etc. at the safety position.

Yeah agree, I don't think Smoke is irreplaceable, but he's still a multi year starter and has been pretty good/leader on the defense outside of Zakoby.

I think you mentioned it, but I'd agree that he should probably go to the NFL.  I'm not sure another year will improve his stock much and he'll be a year old.  I'd love to have him back, but I'm not sure that's the best thing for him personally.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Staff needs to really push for the COVID year on the three who haven't left yet. Transfer Portal is going to be huge to get some immediate help but point blank we have to recruit 4* high school linemen and true OTs... a song as old as time

I really don't know how much those three would really do to stabilize the situation

• Thanks 1

AU twitter posted the annual pictures of the leaving seniors being carried off the field for the last home practice. Smoke, Brahms, Trox, and Shed were all pictured. Probably doesn't mean they're for sure gone, but worth noting

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I really don't know how much those three would really do to stabilize the situation

D-E-P-T-H

lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

D-E-P-T-H

lol

while it would be nice to get these guys some more free schooling for their careers when they leave, I am not sure if it is the best decision for the roster numbers to have them maintain scholarships towards the 85.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

AU twitter posted the annual pictures of the leaving seniors being carried off the field for the last home practice. Smoke, Brahms, Trox, and Shed were all pictured. Probably doesn't mean they're for sure gone, but worth noting

All four of those were included during senior day at the Iron Bowl.  Usually that solidifies they are gone, especially if juniors are included 

• Like 1

Good thing Auburn signed the top Juco Safety and CB in the nation this past class.  Still talking to Oregon transfers at DT and CB too.  

Why offensive transfers and recruits aren't flocking here in droves is beyond my comprehension.  Do they realize Auburn isn't running Gus's offense anymore?  Do they realize Auburn is training and teaching Olinemen how to actually do Oline stuff now?  Are they scared of having to start day 1?  Maybe the flood gates will open here by the end of spring and Auburn will have more OTs than they know what to do with.  

50 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Good thing Auburn signed the top Juco Safety and CB in the nation this past class.  Still talking to Oregon transfers at DT and CB too.  

Why offensive transfers and recruits aren't flocking here in droves is beyond my comprehension.  Do they realize Auburn isn't running Gus's offense anymore?  Do they realize Auburn is training and teaching Olinemen how to actually do Oline stuff now?  Are they scared of having to start day 1?  Maybe the flood gates will open here by the end of spring and Auburn will have more OTs than they know what to do with.  

Yeah I’m surprised we’re not a top destination for OL and WR transfers. Maybe WR don’t see a QB who can get them the ball next year but OL should have limited competition and a pro style offense. It’s concerning that people aren’t seeing the obvious opportunities for playing time. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

58 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Yeah I’m surprised we’re not a top destination for OL and WR transfers. Maybe WR don’t see a QB who can get them the ball next year but OL should have limited competition and a pro style offense. It’s concerning that people aren’t seeing the obvious opportunities for playing time. 

We just finished near the bottom of the SEC in offense. I'm not sure why you believe offensive talent will just flock here

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We just finished near the bottom of the SEC in offense. I'm not sure why you believe offensive talent will just flock here

Playing time. Most guys transferring are looking for opportunities. We offer the best chance at a big time program. 

10 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Playing time. Most guys transferring are looking for opportunities. We offer the best chance at a big time program. 

I think we just need a bit more patience, a bunch of players will be entering the portal after bowl games.  A lot of these guys have reached out to schools or players.  We may have targets that we are waiting to officially enter the portal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Everyone offers playing time. We aren't unique for Srs who want 1 good years before going pro. 

Unfortunately we're not at the top of those lists right now

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Do they realize Auburn isn't running Gus's offense anymore?  Do they realize Auburn is training and teaching Olinemen how to actually do Oline stuff now?

Plenty of early opportunity to sell but we did just fire our OC and there's lots of talk that the OL coach is next. 

So, no, there's no reason they should intrinsically have a good feel for either of those things. *We* know it's Harsin's offense because we obsess about this team around the clock. Those recruits out there have a lot more than one team to focus on and understand.

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Zakly.  If we were putting up 500+ yds a game and lead the SEC in scoring they would be flocking to us.  Early playing time in a poor offense isn't the winning sales pitch some folks think it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Zakly.  If we were putting up 500+ yds a game and lead the SEC in scoring they would be flocking to us.  Early playing time in a poor offense isn't the winning sales pitch some folks think it is.

Had some hope that Friend would work some magic and we'd have a guy or two seen as solid mid round picks and we could sell that to grad/Jr transfers.  But that didn't happen.

We might see another wave of kids post bowl games. I don't think we can wait until post spring for a starting QB and OL help. We need them here in Jan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Well then, how exactly are we supposed to break the cycle? If we don't have talented players, we're not going to have a good offense.

Finley better not be our starter next year.

Edited by AUwent

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Well then, how exactly are we supposed to break the cycle? If we don't have talented players, we're not going to have a good offense.

Finley better not be our starter next year.

Pray for elite player development, scouting 3* kids better than everyone else. And elite schemes. 

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Pray for elite player development, scouting 3* kids better than everyone else. And elite schemes. 

Sorry, that's not going to cut it.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Sorry, that's not going to cut it.

It's not going to win us championships. But it might help us get better than near last in yhe SEC in total offense...which will ultimately help

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

There are a lot of transfers who want a better profile and competitive team in a power conference. 

Now adays its not only playing time that players transfer for.

And Weds is right. In the past we didn't have the right offense for OL to excel in and learn techniques suitable for the NFL(Just ask Braden Smith).  And now we keep changing OL coaches.

All of that is not conducive to bringing in better OL. We need stability in the offense/OL coach and better recruiters

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hopefully, we see smarter offensive schemes and play calls from CBH/A. Davis that maximizes our OL's abilities.  Maybe getting the ball out of the QB's hands quicker, moving the QB more etc, something that helps the OL not have to be elite to be effective.  A playmaker at WR would go a long way also.

• Like 1