Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

12 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Maybe slightly earlier but not much. Kittley Grimes and Ludwig are all coaching tomorrow

hopefully we can rule out Hill as his season is over so no reason to announce 

Kittley is coaching tonight.  It will be interesting to see how they do against UTSA.

Hope you're right about Hill.

If the next OC doesn't pan out then Harsin is getting let go with them. FACT™

Mike Bobo did not run the offensive system that Harsin built his career on. FACT™

Harsin's back is against the wall with a disappointing first season. FACT™

Harsin is in a tough spot and has no other choice than to go back to what has worked for him in the past. I can see no other option. He can't bet his future on Grimes, Kittley or the ghost of Vince Lombardi.  Zach Hill or the Eric Kiesau are most likely the only options.

*Each Fact™ referred to in this post has been verified by the Auburn Fact™ Checking Council and certified to be a Fact™ by the Fact™ Verification Administration in adherence with the Fact™ Interpretation Act of 2021. Those disputing these as a Fact™ must be mistaken, uneducated, or mistakenly uneducated.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

While I am not going to be disappointed to see Grimes, Ludwig, or Hill hired (I think they would both be upgrades in philosophy & production- especially Grimes and Ludwig), I am getting more excited about the possibility of Kittle.

He is like a younger Jeff Lebby (who learned from Art Briles… who learned from Mike Leach). We can see from Ole Miss what happens when West Coast meets Air Raid. Plus, he has the pedigree of having learned from a successful NFL coach and having the opportunity to coached some pretty impressive QB’s.

I can’t imagine what Bo (or even DD) would be like in a Harsin/Kittle Hybrid offense.

Two things:

1. We will find out after this weekend- WKU, Utah, and Baylor all play this weekend. If it is Zak Hill (who’s QB is coming back), we would have to wait until after Christmas. Won't be able to impact recruiting at all if it is Zak... outside of telling stories about scheme.
  2. How do we know that Kittle is even being considered?

Guest MustardSeed
35 minutes ago, VicTree said:

Kittley is coaching tonight.  It will be interesting to see how they do against UTSA.

Hope you're right about Hill.

Sweet. Got something to watch tonight then. Didn’t realize that 😄

Guest MustardSeed
17 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

While I am not going to be disappointed to see Grimes, Ludwig, or Hill hired (I think they would both be upgrades in philosophy & production- especially Grimes and Ludwig), I am getting more excited about the possibility of Kittle.

He is like a younger Jeff Lebby (who learned from Art Briles… who learned from Mike Leach). We can see from Ole Miss what happens when West Coast meets Air Raid. Plus, he has the pedigree of having learned from a successful NFL coach and having the opportunity to coached some pretty impressive QB’s.

I can’t imagine what Bo (or even DD) would be like in a Harsin/Kittle Hybrid offense.

Two things:

1. We will find out after this weekend- WKU, Utah, and Baylor all play this weekend. If it is Zak Hill (who’s QB is coming back), we would have to wait until after Christmas. Won't be able to impact recruiting at all if it is Zak... outside of telling stories about scheme.
  2. How do we know that Kittle is even being considered?

The main concern I would have with Kittle is that he’s had the same QB most of his OC career. Lends to the possibility of the qb being the catalyst and not the OC. Not saying that’s the case but it is a risk involved

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Sweet. Got something to watch tonight then. Didn’t realize that 😄

Yep, and Baylor plays at 11 tomorrow CST, so if it is Grimes or Kittley we could make the announcement during the SECCG.

Guest MustardSeed
Just now, VicTree said:

Yep, and Baylor plays at 11 tomorrow CST, so if it is Grimes or Kittley we could make the announcement during the SECCG.

That would be perfect timing 😎

3 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

The main concern I would have with Kittle is that he’s had the same QB most of his OC career. Lends to the possibility of the qb being the catalyst and not the OC. Not saying that’s the case but it is a risk involved

Gives me the exact opposite feel. He developed that kid to be where he is now especially considering he was no 5 star out of high school at HBU so that screams good development by his QB coach to me.

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, Didba said:

Gives me the exact opposite feel. He developed that kid to be where he is now especially considering he was no 5 star out of high school at HBU so that screams good development by his QB coach to me.

Oh I agree. That risk is that both can be possible. It could be he developed the qb or that the qb facilitated the offense.  See LSU 2019…AU 2010. I’d lean towards it being the OC but it’s still a potential risk

31 minutes ago, WarEagle231 said:

If the next OC doesn't pan out then Harsin is getting let go with them. FACT™

Mike Bobo did not run the offensive system that Harsin built his career on. FACT™

Harsin's back is against the wall with a disappointing first season. FACT™

Harsin is in a tough spot and has no other choice than to go back to what has worked for him in the past. I can see no other option. He can't bet his future on Grimes, Kittley or the ghost of Vince Lombardi.  Zach Hill or the Eric Kiesau are most likely the only options.

*Each Fact™ referred to in this post has been verified by the Auburn Fact™ Checking Council and certified to be a Fact™ by the Fact™ Verification Administration in adherence with the Fact™ Interpretation Act of 2021. Those disputing these as a Fact™ must be mistaken, uneducated, or mistakenly uneducated.

Pretty funny, but the facts are indeed facts.  The conclusion we may have to wait and see, but I can't argue with the reasoning...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Kittley coaches tonight guys.

It would surprise me if it’s Kittley. Haven’t found any references to his recruiting capability and not sure air raid offense meshes with Harsin. Definitely has good numbers where he has been though (although for a relatively short time).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Didba said:

10 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

It would surprise me if it’s Kittley. Haven’t found any references to his recruiting capability and not sure air raid offense meshes with Harsin. Definitely has good numbers where he has been though (although for a relatively short time).

All very good points. He may be a QB whisperer. That may be the the appeal. It was with Bobo. But clearly Harsin needs more than that. And if Kittle brings more than that, then that information doesn't seem to be readily available. 

All hail silly season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Another name Hoke just dropped... Dameyune Craig. Great recruiter but how is his play calling? 

loved DC on the plains, when he played.  gave it his all.  supposed to be good/great recruiter; coach or OC, not so sure.  jimbo seems like he's been the only one to have him, if i remember correctly

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Another name Hoke just dropped... Dameyune Craig. Great recruiter but how is his play calling? 

Not even he knows. He’s never been an OC

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

Not even he knows. He’s never been an OC

I'd rather not hire an OC with no OC experience.

• Like 2

Craig also never shyed away from dragging Auburns name through the dirt while at other schools which as a recruiter is your job but there are ways to go about it without throwing your Alma mater into the dirt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU4life1 said:

Why has nobody mentioned Philip Rivers .He is coaching in Mobile. He would be a hell of a recuiter and a quarterback coach.

If he coaching at high school in Mobile that's a massive jump even for a guy that was playing NFL ball last year and for the last 15. Does he want to be QB coach though? Offensive analysis. Honestly, Rivers probably wants to cut his teeth at the high school level as a coach.

Apologies if I'm a broken record, but DC makes good sense in some ways.

Harsin's background is as a QB coach and play caller. Eric Kiesau was Boise's OC last year and their Co-OC the year before. 

DC would likely need collaborators to be successful. Harsin and Kiesau are already familiar and have had success with that approach.

Harsin and Kiesau need an ace recruiter to be successful. That's DC's bread and butter.

This is very glass half full, for sure. It feels like too many cooks in the kitchen. DC is not known for a lack of ego or hubris. But that also means that having the title might be enough for him- think Rodney Garner as career DL coach but also "co-HC" or whatever- at least for the short term. He's been chasing it for a long time and he'd presumably love nothing more than to finally take that next step at Auburn. Carry that title, cash those checks, win some hardware, and move on. It's not uncommon and I'd love for us to be his stepping stone again. 

• Like 2