Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

We have this unmatched ability to talk ourselves into thinking that we got the best choice with coaching hires. We did it with Lefty more impressively than I’ve seen it ever done. Zak Hill is a dud. There isn’t anything at all special about him. If he ends up being the guy, I think we get a clearer view of how this Boise guy experiment is going to go. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

We have this unmatched ability to talk ourselves into thinking that we got the best choice with coaching hires. We did it with Lefty more impressively than I’ve seen it ever done. Zak Hill is a dud. There isn’t anything at all special about him. If he ends up being the guy, I think we get a clearer view of how this Boise guy experiment is going to go. 

Completely agree. People acted like Loeffler was in any way responsible for Tom Brady.

Guest MustardSeed
3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

As much as I hate to admit it because I like Harsin, I agree 100000000000000%

14 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Clearly not what I’d define as a reliable source 😂…but when you’re starved for any real info…here’s a claim that the ASU players don’t like Hill from someone who claims to know them…

258F9D11-9B67-4135-AEDC-0C248BED7844.jpeg

Heh.  Hill is shaping up to be the perfect JABA hire.  Why fight it? 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

I like Kittley more and more because he has shown he can make a canny difference at a place like WKU. Now the downside is how consistent can that be? We don’t have that much data for that. He did also do the same at lowly Houston Baptist. Also, I always cringe at the whole Mahomes thing . I believe he was a GA when Mahomes was the QB. How much did he actually do in that environment ? It reminds me of that OC we hired whose fame was he worked with Tom Brady. I do think it supports his acumen for the offensive game though. 

The biggest thing with Kittley that impressed me was taking HBU from the 112th ranked offense to a top 5 nearly immediately 

• Like 2

It’s amazing the splits everyone on here has. 

it was like that w Bobo and no matter who replaces him there is not going to be any consensus. Period. 

the key to me is how does he do w strategy during the game and can he make our offense better. 

no one knows that answer regardless who we hire. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some thoughts:

Arizona State (Zak Hill) ran more and passed less than Auburn last year. Arizona State runs mostly out of 11 personnel.

Western Kentucky (Zach Kittley) passed much more than Auburn last year. Western Kentucky runs mostly out of 10 personnel.

Dameyune Craig has never been an OC and last coached QBs in 2012.

My concern with Kittley is his offensive scheme is totally different than Harsin's.

My concern with Craig is he has not coached QBs in a long time, and even then how much of the QB coaching was being done by Fisher?

9 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Heh.  Hill is shaping up to be the perfect JABA hire.  Why fight it? 

Any of these could be JABA hires, honestly.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

The biggest thing with Kittley that impressed me was taking HBU from the 112th ranked offense to a top 5 nearly immediately 

Real impressive since HBU plays in a league way above the SEC.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It’s amazing the splits everyone on here has. 

it was like that w Bobo and no matter who replaces him there is not going to be any consensus. Period. 

the key to me is how does he do w strategy during the game and can he make our offense better. 

no one knows that answer regardless who we hire. 

Get out of here with this reasonable takes. I come here to overreact.

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

Guest MustardSeed
7 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Real impressive since HBU plays in a league way above the SEC.

Well in his defense, WKU was 114th in PPG last year without Kittley and this year they are #2 and put up over 30 on Michigan St with extremely inferior talent

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its likely none of these 3 guys.  The "media" doesn't seem to get much right about Auburn...I'm betting they keep their unblemished record here and wiff again.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Well in his defense, WKU was 114th in PPG last year without Kittley and this year they are #2 and put up over 30 on Michigan St with extremely inferior talent

That that’s an insane difference with just scheme alone. Imagine working with better talent.

• Love 1

55 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

That is pretty impressive.  

I'll be checking out his offense on display tonight at 6:00 WKU vs UTSA

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

That that’s an insane difference with just scheme alone. Imagine working with better talent.

Defenders are better talent also, but he does have impressive numbers. If we have to land one of these three, I’m good with this one. Much higher upside, IMO.

I can't see anything Hill really would add. Would do nothing to improve recruiting and ran a boring, unproductive offense at ASU. Don't think someone with a different style than Harsin would necessarily be a bad thing. Saban totally changes his preferred style with Kiffin. Big reason they are still where they arq.

6 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

I can't see anything Hill really would add. Would do nothing to improve recruiting and ran a boring, unproductive offense at ASU. Don't think someone with a different style than Harsin would necessarily be a bad thing. Saban totally changes his preferred style with Kiffin. Big reason they are still where they arq.

Harsin is an offensive minded HC and will run his own offensive system, as is always the case. Your Saban comparison makes no sense - Saban is a defensive coach by trade, thus there is no parallel. Do you think Saban runs a completely different defensive scheme every time they bring in a new DC? He just lets the DC redesign his entire defense?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I know where you are coming from but people raved about Gus offense at Ark St and raved about Harsins offense at BSU.  HBU put up 30 on MSU once well Gus Ark St offense put up 34 on Oregon.  Hiring an Oc from schools in power 5 conferences doesn't insure success (look at Bozo) but this guy needs a homerun hire and risk mitigation procedures dictate an OC from a power 5 school.

Edited by Carnell

36 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its likely none of these 3 guys.  The "media" doesn't seem to get much right about Auburn...I'm betting they keep their unblemished record here and wiff again.

I agree. Everyone has been cut off. The potato gang is super tight and don't seem to have connections with the traditional sources of AU football

• Like 1

I hope harsin hires whoever he wants. And if it doesn't work out send Harsin packing at the end of next year. No excuse of he didn't get to run the show or pick his people. I think that's been a BS argument people have tried to make this year. Giving the coach pretty much total control on hiring is the only way auburn escaped the notion that we micromanage our coaches. 

Edited by shabby
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I like Kittley more and more because he has shown he can make a canny difference at a place like WKU. Now the downside is how consistent can that be? We don’t have that much data for that. He did also do the same at lowly Houston Baptist. Also, I always cringe at the whole Mahomes thing . I believe he was a GA when Mahomes was the QB. How much did he actually do in that environment ? It reminds me of that OC we hired whose fame was he worked with Tom Brady. I do think it supports his acumen for the offensive game though. 

True. It just seems he may be an unheard of guy with good O instincts. We need fresh thoughts from an OC. Bobo unfortunately didn’t update his play calling. Ultimately, I am sure Harsin goes w his guy, which is his right, but he better hope he can recruit and can bring PAC 10 offense to the SEC, which doesn’t necessarily translate very well all of the time. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shabby said:

And if it doesn't work out send Harsin packing at the end of next year

You want to fire a head coach after two years? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, au302 said:

I agree. Everyone has been cut off. The potato gang is super tight and don't seem to have connections with the traditional sources of AU football

Yep, they are just throwing names around to appear to have some legitimacy. One of these guys may be it, but they are just throwing stuff out there hoping something sticks. They don't know jack.

• Like 1