2022 AU Gymnastics

AUreo

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

😢

There's never been a more true statement or a better recruiting pitch. There's just no other place like Auburn!

So happy for her that she gets to experience this. This sport by far is the biggest benefactor of NIL for both the athlete and the sport. A win win situation.  The meet last night was more intense, yet fun than the professional meets typically are. I like that we have stepped up when competition gets challenging. Bama, LSU, now Florida. We bring it. Love it. 

• Like 2

I especially like the last paragraph

AUBURN, Ala. – With a share of the SEC championship on the line, No. 6 Auburn soared to a program record, equaling the nation's highest score this season with a 198.575 behind 10.0s from Sunisa Lee and Derrian Gobourne Friday in the first meet at newly christened Neville Arena.

No. 3 Florida was equally dazzling, scoring two 10.0s to claim the outright conference championship by equaling Auburn's 198.575, denying the Tigers the victory Auburn needed to earn a share of the crown.

"To finally get the 198 off your back and tie what I believe is one of the best teams in the country, I felt like it was a national championship caliber meet tonight," Auburn coach Jeff Graba said. "I felt like our young team held up really well. A lot of fun to see it and it's sort of a relief that we're starting to click."

Auburn scored a program record 49.725 on beam, highlighted by Lee's second consecutive 10.0 and 9.95s for Gabby McLaughlin and Sophia Groth, equaling the latter's career high. Aria Brusch's 9.925 and Olivia Hollingsworth's 9.9 also represented career bests.

Lee, the Olympic all-around gold medalist, won the all-around with 39.8 while Cassie Stevens earned a 39.675, including a career-high 9.975 on vault, 9.925 on floor and 9.9 on bars.

"It's really rewarding, especially on vault," said Stevens of her Yurchenko one and half. "It's been a lot of hard work and it's great when it finally pays off. It was honestly the best feeling in the world. Top three happiest moments of my life. There's so much behind it and for it to finally happen was an incredible feeling. The best part was my team. They know I've been putting the work into it. For them to celebrate with me was really special."

Sara Hubbard also scored a career-high 9.9 on vault, as did Gobourne, helping the Tigers tie the program vault record on 49.5 to start on a 198 pace after the first rotation.

Lee shared the bars title with a 9.95, with Groth adding a 9.925 and Stevens and Gobourne each scoring 9.9s.

"It's so amped up this year," Stevens said. "There's nothing like nailing your routine and the whole arena erupting. It's truly one of the greatest feelings."

Heading into the final rotation, the Gators led 149.0-148.775 and kept the pressure on by scoring four 9.9s or better on beam.

In her home finale, Drew Watson scored a 9.925 on floor, followed by Stevens' 9.925, and 9.975s from Groth and Lee.

When Florida's anchor gymnast fell on beam, it opened the door for Auburn to tie, but only if Gobourne could score a 10.0.

Against that nearly impossible backdrop, the senior delivered a riveting routine, bringing the sellout crowd to its feet with her first 10.0 after several close calls. The noise only intensified as each judge displayed 10.0 scores.

"'Derrian, just do you,'" Gobourne said of her pre-routine self-talk. "There was pressure, but I just wanted to go out and be me. It finally happened. To see the 10.0, I was so shocked.

"It's so cool to have everyone here to support us. I felt like I had everyone's support, including the other team. I think that's great sportsmanship."

"It was the best exclamation point to the night," Stevens said. "We've been wanting it for her because we know she's so deserving."

"She's really good when she has fun," Graba said. "We'd already broken a 198 and crushed our team record. All she could do was crush it more.

"It nice to see her get the 10.0 that I believe she's performed quite a few times and get it on a night when you needed it.

"Nobody we'd rather have in that position. When you need the best of the best, look what she's done for this program for four years, and she just did it tonight, and we tie possibly the national champion this year.

"That was a national championship caliber meet tonight. We held up and didn't just do a good job. We rallied from behind to tie one of the best teams in the country. She put the exclamation point on one heck of a night."

The Tigers smashed the previous program record of 197.925 set last week vs. Kentucky, closing the meet with an all-time high of 49.8 on floor.

It will be a quick turnaround for the Tigers, who compete Sunday at 1 p.m. CT in Huntsville in the Elevate the Stage quad meet against Alabama, Georgia and Arkansas. 

Several members of Auburn's SEC championship men's basketball team showed their support throughout the meet on the eve of their regular season finale Saturday.

"What an atmosphere in this arena," Graba said. "I've never felt it like that and I've been to some pretty big events here. It's been amazing. It's the reason for our success.

"We are a big family here. That group showed up and supported all five meets this year. It's the loudest I've ever heard it. There's a connection right now between some of the teams on campus. It's almost like we're trying to one-up each other. That's a really good place to be.  There's a lot of respect for these athletes for what the other athletes are going through. It's great to see the support from the athletes and the fan base."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You can't tell me that this right here doesn't rival the noise of our best basketball moments. Absolutely chilling and very deserving for Derrian!

• Like 5

This team is still relatively young. We are losing Drew Watson (very solid) but hopefully we can keep Gobourne (she could be a super senior or grad student next year). We will then add Olivia Greaves who is a 5-star elite gymnast and should generate some extra hype.

Auburn could win the SEC championship next year. We could be even a pre-season favorite.

SEC:

LSU: They could be the top SEC team next year. They will be more experienced, adding top 4-stars Annie Beard, Bryce Wilson, and Lily Lippeat.

Florida: They should lose T.Thomas, Nya Reed, Alyssa Baumann and Megan Skaggs to graduation (big losses). but they are just reloading with 5-star elite Kayla DiCello, and 5-star L10s Sophia Butler and Jafree Scott (however some rumors that Butler and Scott still have to sign with the Gators and are having second thoughts). Morgan Hurd (2017 World Champion) will be back from her injury.

Alabama: Losing Lexie Graber to graduation is a huge loss for them. They could also lose Canadian Olympian S.Olsen to graduation. They are adding Gabby Gladieux (5star L10). I think they will take a step back.

Arkansas: They are getting more competitive adding 5-star Morgan Price. However, the entire coaching staff could leave for UCLA.

Edited by AUreo

Folks, as somebody who attended that meet last night, I might go as far as saying that could arguably be the greatest regular season dual gymnastics meet of all time! As mentioned by others on here, both teams had the fourth highest score EVER! Two perfect tens for us, two for Florida. We had a chance for two more, but one of the judges saw things a little differently in each case. It happened to Florida as well, so as long as they were consistent, despite being disappointed, I am OK with that.

I started attending meets around 1997. That was a time when 196.5 or higher was an outstanding job for us. I think we have set the standard now for many years to come. I appreciate the program bringing back alumni for nights like last night.

And looking at this team down the road, I think there is to be much success. Groth, in my opinion, can be just as good, if not better than Lee. It will be tough to replace Gobourne and Watson, but we will be okay. I also want to tout that these girls are great individual human beings as well. I was with a friend who brought her seven-year-old daughter. I believe it was Gabby McLaughlin was up on the concourse and walking away from us when she must’ve seen her out of the corner of her eye. She stopped and came back for a photo opportunity which I know made my friend’s daughters night. Just an unbelievable night last night and one that will be talked about for a very long time. I can see this team getting to the final four, or super six, whatever they’re calling it these days, this year! Now let’s go finish it out in basketball in a couple of hours

• Love 2

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

😢

There's never been a more true statement or a better recruiting pitch. There's just no other place like Auburn!

Suni is a recruiting machine. She landed Olivia Greaves and almost managed to flip Faith Torrez (Oklahoma signee) last minute.

One other thing I will say about Gobourne. When it came down to our final three floor performances, I felt this was where we were going to make our move. Sophia and Suni had great showings. When Derrian’s turn came up and they started her music early, that could have rattled her. But for her to come out and concentrate and do the routine that she did, I think that speaks volumes to her. And I also believe that this roster has others on it that can also handle that type of pressure. The 198.575 against one of the best programs for the last decade is testament to that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Some people already want to see a Suni statue outside of Neville Arena. I think she will get one when all is said and done…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUreo said:

However, the entire coaching staff could leave for UCLA.

Really?  That would be a big loss.  I know they have the former USA gymnast as coach. I was impressed with them. 

Utah is number 4 and actually matched Florida and Auburn later in the same night with 198.575. Crazy more that 3 teams scored that high on the same night.  

• Like 1

What is the purpose of today's meet??? Just had one 2 days ago...I'm not a gymnast, but wouldn't you need more than a day to recoup from your last competition???

2 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

What is the purpose of today's meet??? Just had one 2 days ago...I'm not a gymnast, but wouldn't you need more than a day to recoup from your last competition???

I read that it is same equipment setup and style as the postseason. Auburn and Bama agreed to this event to be a bit more prepared

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

Thought it was 198.750.

This is the score of today’s  “Elevate the Stage” meet between Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, and Georgia in Huntsville.

The quad meet was a non-conference contest on the podium. No. 7 Alabama won the meet with a 198.000. Arkansas finished with a 196.800 and Georgia came in fourth at 196.200.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2022/3/6/gymnastics-no-6-tigers-tie-program-record-road-score-at-elevate-the-stage.aspx

Edited by AUreo

45 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Did anybody watch the meet? How did we look?

I didn't see it, but a 197.75 is pretty dang good, at least consistent with our recent scores. Actually better than I thought we might do considering only 2 days removed from our record meet. 

I understand the circumstance, but it always sucks losing to UAT. I think if we weren’t coming off the high and this meet would’ve been this weekend, then we would’ve stood a better chance.

I was at the meet and I wasn’t super impressed. I could tell from the beginning of warmups who was going to win that meet. Alabama just seemed to have an extra fire about them and we seemed lackadaisical.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blakem said:

I was at the meet and I wasn’t super impressed. I could tell from the beginning of warmups who was going to win that meet. Alabama just seemed to have an extra fire about them and we seemed lackadaisical.

Well they had the revenge factor and we were coming off a high