Nix enters the portal

AUreo

Just now, selias said:

it's Old Fashioned time

FTFY....again.  You should hire an editor.  Better communication, more time freed up for drinking.  It is a win-win.

• Like 1

Just now, Strychnine said:

FTFY....again.  You should hire an editor.  Better communication, more time freed up for drinking.  It is a win-win.

I like this plan

3 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

I've had gelato several times, and it has never impressed me. Always seems a little icy or something.

I guess that makes sense, since it contains a higher milk to cream ratio.

Have you had it in Italy?

I don't eat it stateside because you're right, it's typically just not-as-good ice cream. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I don't eat it stateside because you're right, it's typically just not-as-good ice cream. 

Well La Dee Da GIFs | Tenor

• Love 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sneaky good writing right here. Mainly because it's true. 

Waking up extremely hung-over praying that "sack" has one or two Krystals.   Half of my mornings for 10 years.  Still love Krystals though.

• Haha 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

You're not wrong but, it could also just be the fact you're in Italy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Now we're having fun. I just want to thank Bo Nix for bringing us all together. 

You hate him

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For sure. Really, Buc-ee's only could have come from Texas.

Speaking of, the missus asked for Pappasito's next time we're in Atlanta. Um, that's a big 10-4 and a hell yeah, m'dear. 

I feel ya, my better half is a Pappadeux's kind of gal.  Both are great, if you don't get robbed prior to entering.  lol

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

What kind of bitters do you use?

There are other bitters to use in an Old Fashioned beyond Angostura?

I do cheat with the orange peel though. I make simple syrup and then steep orange peel in the hot syrup for later storage in the fridge. So much easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, selias said:

You're not wrong but, it could also just be the fact you're in Italy.

That has definitely made some of it taste better. But other times it's definitely been a special product. I've spent a total of 4 weeks over there which means I've eaten gelato over there about 28 times lol.

2 minutes ago, selias said:

I do cheat with the orange peel though. I make simple syrup and then steep orange peel in the hot syrup for later storage in the fridge. So much easier.

Genius.

I like to mix up the bitters. Sometimes I'll used orange bitters, cherry, Fee Bros "old fashioned bitters", etc. But if I'm going traditional, Angostura all day. 

6 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I feel ya, my better half is a Pappadeux's kind of gal.  Both are great, if you don't get robbed prior to entering.  lol

I only get robbed at those places at the end of the meal when my server hands me a note saying give me all your money

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

As a former player and coach, I would think Pat Nix understands the nature of the beast with fans.  A QB can go from fans wanting him benched to being compared to Manziel, in a matter of weeks, and then go back to fans wanting him benched again.  Opinions about Bo Nix shifted and varied as wildly as his play.

True......his mother may be a different story.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Genius.

I like to mix up the bitters. Sometimes I'll used orange bitters, cherry, Fee Bros "old fashioned bitters", etc. But if I'm going traditional, Angostura all day. 

Genius? More laziness lol. I can pick out the orange peel and then store the orange syrup in a squeeze bottle in the fridge.

Since I make the orange syrup and my maraschino cherries, I stick with the old reliable angostura bitters.

1 minute ago, selias said:

Genius? More laziness lol. I can pick out the orange peel and then store the orange syrup in a squeeze bottle in the fridge.

Since I make the orange syrup and my maraschino cherries, I stick with the old reliable angostura bitters.

I really want to try my hand at brandying my own cherries. One of my favorite old fashioneds ever was at Bluegrass Tavern in Lexington, KY (amazing bourbon bar) and they do their own cherries in house. For store bought, I like Amarena cherries a lot. 

Nah, infusing the syrup with orange isn't lazy. That's just smart. I imagine you can use it for other stuff, too, where an actual orange peel garnish isn't necessary or even particularly desirable, lol.

I'd like to commend the veterans of this board, you all have a wonderful gift of redirecting these type of threads when the masses start getting a little too personal with the debates.  The redirections are always the best part.  Kudo's

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I really want to try my hand at brandying my own cherries. One of my favorite old fashioneds ever was at Bluegrass Tavern in Lexington, KY (amazing bourbon bar) and they do their own cherries in house. For store bought, I like Amarena cherries a lot. 

Nah, infusing the syrup with orange isn't lazy. That's just smart. I imagine you can use it for other stuff, too, where an actual orange peel garnish isn't necessary or even particularly desirable, lol.

Thanks. Simple syrup is a blank canvas. I generally have mint, orange, and plain on hand. Mint is great for mojitos in the summer or a light splash in some tea

Edited by selias
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, USATiger said:

The one of the few things about my kids getting older, they can appreciate Farley, McDonald and such these days.  Such great comedy. 

Exact same in this house. So much fun to share comedy, music, movies, etc. and experience it all over again through their eyes. 

1 minute ago, selias said:

Thanks. Simple syrup is a blank canvas. I generally have mint, orange, and plain on hand. Mint is great for mojitos in the summer or a light splash in some tea for tea

Ooh, mint would be good in a mai tai, too. And I freaking love mint iced tea.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, USATiger said:

I'd like to commend the veterans of this board, you all have a wonderful gift of redirecting these type of threads when the masses start getting a little too personal with the debates.  The redirections are always the best part.  Kudo's

This is why I was drawn to this site.  

18 minutes ago, USATiger said:

The one of the few things about my kids getting older, they can appreciate Farley, McDonald and such these days.  Such great comedy. 

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Exact same in this house. So much fun to share comedy, music, movies, etc. and experience it all over again through their eyes. 

You guys give me hope. It's still all Paw Patrol and Kidz Bop at my house. HOWEVER "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston is now, quite by accident, McLittle's and my official song. And she watched Tina Turner sing "Proud Mary" on my phone in car line this morning and she started singing along with it. Baby steps!

18 minutes ago, selias said:

So, instead of making my own simple syrup, I simply spoon the cherry juice into the drink. I never ever seem to have SS already made and I’m usually too impatient to make some when the spirit moves me to make a cocktail. But, I think you’re onto something with the orange peel. 

We making these with bourbon or rye?

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ooh, mint would be good in a mai tai, too. And I freaking love mint iced tea.

Exactly. I'm not much of a beer guy anymore so an ice cold mint iced tea after yard work hits the spot...then I can move on to adult beverages lol