Official Early National Signing Day Thread

Zeek

Honestly, I'm not even worried about the Perry deal...and if we somehow pull Clemons, oh good god almighty...

• Like 1

The Perry-ordeal is frustrating, but it reminds me: Who was the Auburn commit who "flipped" to Alabama two or three years ago and kept trying to troll Auburn?  If I recall, we pulled his offer but he spun it to say he flipped.  I want to say it was an OL.  Has he ever amounted to anything?

Edited by abw0004

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Mikey.jpg

Wow, this is perfect. mad props for creativity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Didba said:

uh... duh... I was you know... just keeping you honest...

(NGL I am too young to have watched him play so imma use that as my excuse)

Yeah, well, I'm not old enough to remember him at FSU, just the NFL, but I had a friend growing up who was a Cowboys fan, and he had this poster of him making an interception with the headline "Neon Deion" on the bottom. That was imprinted on my psyche very early on, so... LOL

Just now, Rednilla said:

Yeah, well, I'm not old enough to remember him at FSU, just the NFL, but I had a friend growing up who was a Cowboys fan, and he had this poster of him making an interception with the headline "Neon Deion" on the bottom. That was imprinted on my psyche very early on, so... LOL

Bo ran over him on a long TD run when he was at FSU, thing of beauty 👍

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The Perry-ordeal is frustrating, but it reminds me: Who was the Auburn commit who "flipped" to Alabama two or three years ago and kept trying to troll Auburn?  If I recall, we pulled his offer but he spun it to say he flipped.  I want to say it was an OL.  Has he ever amounted to anything?

Javien Cohen. He’s the starting LT

• Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed

So I guess it was bugging me so I went and found it. The Alabama state law allowing college athletes to be paid very specifically makes it illegal to pay a player to come to a school. This summer Alabama passed law 404. Here is the clause in it that’s relevant…copied straight from the law

”Compensation for a student athlete's name,
image, or likeness may not be conditioned on athletic
performance or attendance at a particular postsecondary
educational institution.”

Im sure Mississippi’s law is similar. It’s not just the NCAA rules being broken, it’s state law and potentially jail time. Hope it ends up worth the risk for these guys. This could go very sideways very quick 

Yeah don't let one DL derail our positive momentum. It's been a good day and with M'ba/Sledge/Story the DL is looking good.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

One silver lining with Perry is that there’s a ton of defensive line 2023 talent that we are going after hard right now. 

That's a great thought!! 

Guest MustardSeed
3 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Bo ran over him on a long TD run when he was at FSU, thing of beauty 👍

And he then he cheated by pushing the receivers head into the ball preventing a guaranteed TD to win the game and it wasn’t called. I’ll never forget his dirty play. 

Just now, MustardSeed said:

So I guess it was bugging me so I went and found it. The Alabama state law allowing college athletes to be paid very specifically makes it illegal to pay a player to come to a school. This summer Alabama passed law 404. Here is the clause in it that’s relevant…copied straight from the law

Im sure Mississippi’s law is similar. It’s not just the NCAA rules being broken, it’s state law and potentially jail time. Hope it ends up worth the risk for these guys. This could go very sideways very quick 

As soon as that law affects a Bama player it will be quickly amended with a retroactive clause protecting past misconduct in breach of the law.  Like 85% of the attorneys/legislators/judges in this state went to Bama Law School.  Hell, I can't blame em, I would have gone to Bama's Law School if they hadn't of waited 4 months to take me off the wait list and I didn't have schollies to UH's Law Program.

4 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

And he then he cheated by pushing the receivers head into the ball preventing a guaranteed TD to win the game and it wasn’t called. I’ll never forget his dirty play. 

We had some classic games with them back in the Dye era

3 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Just checking in.

Have we lost out on anyone yet?

4* RB Justin Williams -> Tennessee but we really didn't give him the green light to commit because we're still working on 4* Tre Citizen

4* DL Tyre West -> Tennessee but we canceled his OV so I think it's more like we passed

4* LB DeMario Tolan -> LSU commit who OV'd to LSU this weekend and got locked down. Never knew where we really stood here because he is so quiet.

4* DL Khurtiss Perry -> Alabama lean probably the whole time but we made it interesting. 

---------

We won 4* CB Keionte Scott and 3* WR Camden Brown and flipped 4* LB Robert Woodyard from Alabama and 4* CB JaDarian Rhym form LSU as far as new additions go

Edited by Zeek
  • Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, Didba said:

As soon as that law affects a Bama player it will be quickly amended with a retroactive clause protecting past misconduct in breach of the law.  Like 85% of the attorneys/legislators/judges in this state went to Bama Law School.  Hell, I can't blame em, I would have gone to Bama's Law School if they hadn't of waited 4 months to take me off the wait list and I didn't have schollies to UH's Law Program.

Yeah, but don’t think they won’t use it against every one else first

4 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Can you imagine the tax evasion issues in a few years: guys just not knowing how to navigate those pesky little income reporting requirements? I guess the bigger schools will add athlete accountant support staff. I don't know that the IRS sees things as flexible as NCAA or boosters.