Men vs Arkansas Game Thread

Maverick.AU

We lost for 2 reasons tonight. 

1. Free Throw shooting. Walker missed 5 straight free throws in regulation and KD missed a couple as well. With how we closed, we could've iced the game in regulation.

2. Offensive execution down the stretch. We were up 5 with a minute and a half left. We took a couple of bad shots and had a turnover from our point guard. On defense, Arkansas got foul calls and made their free throws to inch closer each time down the floor. If we get a bucket on any of those possessions late, the game is out of reach. 

The first point is an anomaly, as we were leading the conference in FT shooting going into the game, with Kessler north of 80%. The second point, however, has been an issue the last couple of games. Hopefully we get Zep back on Saturday, as his presence really helps us out in organizing our offense.

9 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

1. Free Throw shooting. Walker missed 5 straight free throws in regulation and KD missed a couple as well. With how we closed, we could've iced the game in regulation.

2. Offensive execution down the stretch. We were up 5 with a minute and a half left. We took a couple of bad shots and had a turnover from our point guard. On defense, Arkansas got foul calls and made their free throws to inch closer each time down the floor. If we get a bucket on any of those possessions late, the game is out of reach. 

The first point is an anomaly, as we were leading the conference in FT shooting going into the game, with Kessler north of 80%. The second point, however, has been an issue the last couple of games. Hopefully we get Zep back on Saturday, as his presence really helps us out in organizing our offense.

Zep’s absence isn’t the reason we lost, but surely would’ve helped to have him. I place the loss solely on the missed FTs. All those guys had to do was hit 1 of the 5. Literally that’s all that we needed to do. 

Hoping KD hasn’t developed an ego and it’s hurting his game. We’ll regroup, glad we have plenty of time between now and Saturday. 

8 hours ago, jluvah said:

Flanigans minutes need to be reduced by a bunch. I’m sorry, but he’s more of a liability out there. He is NOT a potential first or second round draft pick, but HE thinks he is. A turnover machine

You have a right to your opinion but I doubt you know what he thinks. 

• Like 1

Okay I wanted to cool down before I posted anything.  I really don't think we deserved to win this at all.  I saw no effort in rebounding outside of Kessler.  There was even one instance in the second half where it was 3 vs. 1 on Kessler where he continued to block shot after shot and no one else bother to come back down the court to help Kessler.  They just stood there.  KD was being extremely selfish not passing the ball throwing up bricks.  If you are having a bad night, distribute the ball like Jabari did the previous game.  We would have probably won with Zep but I think losing will be beneficial for us moving forward.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Okay I wanted to cool down before I posted anything.  I really don't think we deserved to win this at all.  I saw no effort in rebounding outside of Kessler.  There was even one instance in the second half where it was 3 vs. 1 on Kessler where he continued to block shot after shot and no one else bother to come back down the court to help Kessler.  They just stood there.  KD was being extremely selfish not passing the ball throwing up bricks.  If you are having a bad night, distribute the ball like Jabari did the previous game.  We would have probably won with Zep but I think losing will be beneficial for us moving forward.

Evidently Musselman knew about KDs tendencies.  0 to 1 assists in 7 games this year or something.  Idk but they mentioned it on broadcast.  He can definitely takeover a game but needs to know when to do that. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Devan and Dylan were very active rebounding. Even Jabari got some big ones. Kessler made a terrible pass after getting a rebound as the other four took off to run. That’s why he was by himself blocking shots. The others were slow to return maybe thinking they would make the layout they missed. A more urgent return to that play may have altered the out come as Kessler battled.   Kessler did that to himself but it does bring up a point. We lost several balls both against Arky and GA on what I call hustle plays. Bringing  down a rebound or a loose ball in a lackadaisical manner and subsequently losing the possession to the other player.  Even the huge free throw miss down 3 which Jaylin lost to Arky over his back. Lack of focus and intensity cost us badly there.

IMO, Zep's defense was badly missed last night, more than ever. If only for one or two possessions, his presence alone likely reduces the drive penetration and foul line opportunities Arky enjoyed last night.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I agree with much of your post, but I really disagree with the rebounding. We outrebounded that team +12. Kessler was a beast, but we were a fatigued team. The weight of the streak and getting teams’ best efforts nightly with the target on our back finally caught up to us. Lost this one on the foul line (and due to KD’s disappearance; not blaming him, just the way it turned out). We also out-shot them from the floor and went beast down low. Overall our defensive effort even without Zep was amazing. I agree with your assessment that this was a beneficial loss going forward. 

46 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Certainly was amusing to see the other team's fans storm the court after beating Auburn in basketball. That has to be a first

I’m with you. I chuckled when I saw it. I almost wanted to cry. (Insert “that’s what she said” here) It was strangely touching. (Ditto)

11 hours ago, AUlurker said:

I was going to ask if it seemed Zep would be back, sooner than later hopefully. The team has really struggled without that missing piece!

55 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I agree with much of your post, but I really disagree with the rebounding. We outrebounded that team +12. Kessler was a beast, but we were a fatigued team. The weight of the streak and getting teams’ best efforts nightly with the target on our back finally caught up to us. Lost this one on the foul line (and due to KD’s disappearance; not blaming him, just the way it turned out). We also out-shot them from the floor and went beast down low. Overall our defensive effort even without Zep was amazing. I agree with your assessment that this was a beneficial loss going forward. 

Maybe with Zep trying to make it back this weekend, CBP will be able to get in a day of rest for the guys.

I will also say Zep is a great example how a person can have a major impact on a team and just going to stats won't show it or prove it or whatever. Basketball may be the game where intangibles matter the most for the overall impact and performance of a team.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

The fatigue factor is a bit of an overreach. I am not saying our players aren't tired at this point in the season all players on all teams are but we have one of the deepest teams in the league and the other teams with smaller benches were not that tired. Notae played 40 minutes and was still playing hard at the end. If we were that tired we wouldn't have killed them on the boards. FT shooting down the stretch lost us this game we missed them they made them. That and some selfish play. I love KD he has carried us at times but some teams have started to figure him out and he just won't pass.  His defense is relentless but his offense is keep the ball no matter what and find a way to get off a shot whether it is a good shot or not. 

I "think" this was a good reset game for the rest of the season. College basketball isn't about going undefeated. It's about winning a tournament. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AUlurker said:

Yup. And even after shooting 47% from the stripe, if Green drives the paint on the last possession of regulation, I believe AU scores, either w a Green layup, free throw or Kessler put-back. As I said weeks ago, his Steph Curry hero-ball 3’s are going to cost us a close game. That shot was absurd. He was killing them with the drive. Why abandon that? As soon as he shot it, I said we’re losing in OT.

In Dennis Green fashion, the Razorbacks are who we thought they were…and we let em off the freaking hook.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUlurker said:

Walker Kessler is 64.2% on the season, even going 2/7 shouldn’t dump him 20 percentage points on relatively healthy volume, but the team percentage was and is pretty good. There were definitely some anomalies that occurred as a whole (I think KD missed all of his) 

We were a tired team and didn't need another OT game. With Zep handling the ball we get a good shot at the end of regulation. Don't get me wrong. Green is a great player and I like to see him driving to the basket with his eyes seeing the court.  But in that situation we need Zep in there to get the ball to the open teammate. But mistakes were made by everyone. None of our guys have ever played in an environment like that. I'm still proud of each and every one of them. That was some valuable experience for the future (next month). We had a good ride at No. 1. Blue bloods were not happy campers.

• Dislike 1

I didn’t get much pushback on it for a while, and then I did with some of the heroics, but I’m not really sure how the tunnel vision KD has is just becoming apparent now. Regardless of making the shot, if you have a guy dribble for 10 seconds and jack up a step back three or drive into 4 people, THAT is tunnel vision. That’s been the only version of KD we have ever seen in orange and blue 

34 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn’t get much pushback on it for a while, and then I did with some of the heroics, but I’m not really sure how the tunnel vision KD has is just becoming apparent now. Regardless of making the shot, if you have a guy dribble for 10 seconds and jack up a step back three or drive into 4 people, THAT is tunnel vision. That’s been the only version of KD we have ever seen in orange and blue 

ARK had him scouted perfectly. More importantly, they had the dudes to stay in front of him. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The maximum amount of fouls your starters can finish with is 25. Auburn’s finished with 21. I’m not trying to say anything with that number, but pretty nuts right 

Reminiscent of Coleman Coliseum eh?

• Like 1

Looking forward (with the possibility Zep is still out) Ark and to some degree uga showed a blueprint on how to play us close, perhaps enough to beat us.

Being at home will help, but the team will have to make some adjustments to take advantage of our strengths and minimize our weaknesses when the game is close.  Everyone is tired, not just us, so that cannot be an excuse.  It doesn't mater if we're #1 anymore; we still represent a great Q1 win, so we're going to get everyone's best effort.

I'll be excited to see how the team plays these last few games heading towards March.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

ARK had him scouted perfectly. More importantly, they had the dudes to stay in front of him. 

The UGA second half really gave everyone the best way to play us, at least until Zep returns. Honestly, UGA is the least talented team defensively we'll play for the remainder of the season. Literally everyone should be able to do what's occurred for the past 1 1/2 games 

Idk what the counter punch is to "guys who love to shoot can't shoot and defenses won't respect them" that Pearl has, but I'm interested to see!

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The UGA second half really gave everyone the best way to play us, at least until Zep returns. Honestly, UGA is the least talented team defensively we'll play for the remainder of the season. Literally everyone should be able to do what's occurred for the past 1 1/2 games 

Idk what the counter punch is to "guys who love to shoot can't shoot and defenses won't respect them" that Pearl has, but I'm interested to see!

Yup. Not concerned in the home games, but I am really afraid of KD being rendered as an offensive liability in the tournament.