Men vs Arkansas Game Thread

Maverick.AU

So now the question stands, does this loss roll over into Saturday’s game? I’m glad we are playing at home. 

The way Kentucky is playing I’d be shocked to see them go down again this season. Feels like we got to win out to be sole SEC regular season champs. 

1 minute ago, GTNupe11 said:

That three Noate made off of the Green turnover to put them up one. That's what did it to be honest. 

I guess that’s the only one they had. I did not realize that. Yes that turnover was extremely costly. Outside of FTs, they had 25 points off turnovers. 19 in the first half. 

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

I’ll admit I wasn’t to upset until a) they played na na hey hey toward the end with the game still in question and b) the dunk at the end with time expiring. 

It’s one thing for the fans to start singing it. It’s another for a university employee to play it. That was a trashy move. Also, the game was still in question, so WTF. Would’ve looked pretty stupid if we pulled out a win.

The dunk was also super classless. If I were a ref, I would’ve called a technical because it was clearly a gloat move.

As for the fans… I’m not mad about them rushing the floor. They knocked off number 1 in the country. That’s a big deal and worth rushing the court over.

As for the game, I’m sure the idiots of the world will say it is evidence that we’re overrated. But we were probably going to drop another one eventually because that’s how things work in basketball. And this was the right one to drop… an away game against a pretty good team in overtime. It will more than likely fire our guys up to clean things up just in time. 

Yep every team in college bball loses, if anyone says it’s because we are overrated then they are an idiot. Hell we will probably lose again before it’s over. It’s that way for everyone. The home stretch is where it counts and I feel great about our chances. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Ouch

18D1F061-7A1A-4F8A-B3C3-D7AF92B0EFBD.jpeg

Yeah it seemed like the officiating was pretty terrible. I think Arkansas was the beneficiary overall, but there were pretty bad calls (and non-calls) both ways.

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

So now the question stands, does this loss roll over into Saturday’s game? I’m glad we are playing at home. 

The way Kentucky is playing I’d be shocked to see them go down again this season. Feels like we got to win out to be sole SEC regular season champs. 

We’ll wind up smashing TAMU. AU needs to make a statement on Saturday, especially at home and being the Game Day location. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I really don't think so. It's not like this was a bad L. We just shot poorly from the line. We'll get Zep back (hopefully) and restart our win streak.

Just now, autig90 said:

Yeah it seemed like the officiating was pretty terrible. I think Arkansas was the beneficiary overall, but there were pretty bad calls (and non-calls) both ways.

I was hoping for it to even out in the 2nd, which is usually the case. But Arkansas got away with murder the entire game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We’ll wind up smashing TAMU. AU needs to make a statement on Saturday, especially at home and being the Game Day location. 

It's also the AUTlive game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I'm bummed.

Even after an embarrassing performance due to out-of-control play by our guards against bottom-dwelling UGA, our guards played as bad or worse tonight.  The coaches should have corrected that.  Green should have attacked the basket on the last play in regulation, but he instead threw up a hero shot from deep.  I was so disappointed to see that.  He should have attacked.

And I'm disappointed in the coaching staff for not finding ways to get more easy baskets for Jabari and Kessler.  That relates to their inability to keep the guards under control and focused on the gold mine: getting the ball to Jabari and Kessler.

Still, this was so in our grasp at the end.  Terrible FT shooting was the difference.

Well at the end of the game and in OT they aren't going to go to Kessler because of his free throw shooting

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I said it last game after seeing BP acknowledge it himself, but he's not taking TOs like he has his full cast of characters. I just don't get it.

And, he said he could have cost us the game because of it.  I'm afraid this time it did cost us -- it at least prevented us from putting our best foot forward.

6 minutes ago, autig90 said:

We were due to lose and should have. I don’t think Jabari touched the ball in like the last 3-4 min of regulation. (Crazy). We have plenty of time at the end of regulation and Wendell simply jacks up a crazy long 3 without either driving or getting Jabari some kind of touch. (Turble.) Yeah, we deserved to lose. I hope they learn from it and move on. We have a great team and great kids, but sometimes we just don’t play very smart.

It just sucks this loss is more about Auburn missing free throws than Arkansas actually winning the game. If they came out a house of fire then ok. Auburn makes half of their free throws the outcome is different 

• Like 1

This loss is only frustrating because like 4 different things had to happen for us to lose. Horrible FT shooting, bad guard play, bad officiating, and missing a starter. Give me Auburn IN ARKANSAS 9 out of 10 with Zep. Auburn at home? This is a 15 point spanking. 

All that said so I can say no one should freak out. Losses suck, but all mistakes are correctable. I'll be SHOCKED if we shoot below 60% ft again this season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well at the end of the game and in OT they aren't going to go to Kessler because of his free throw shooting

True, but did Jabari get touches at the end like he should have?  Didn't seem like he did.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I was hoping for it to even out in the 2nd, which is usually the case. But Arkansas got away with murder the entire game. 

They really did. 

5 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

And, he said he could have cost us the game because of it.  I'm afraid this time it did cost us -- it at least prevented us from putting our best foot forward.

I think every elite coach has one flaw, that might just be his. It is what it is, if Zep can come back, I think it's a problem we don't see revisited for a while 

Can we talk about KD for a minute? What in the world happened tonight? It was like he totally disappeared. That runner toward the end where he could have just driven it to the rack…huh?  He went from totally aggressive one game to completely passive the next.

This was the left field thing of the season to me. There wasn’t too much about this game that worried me. That, however, worries me.

Edited by War to the Eagle
  • Like 1

Like I mentioned a couple days go, I figured (and hoped) that AU had learned their lesson after barely winning two road games against inferior opponents but I was wrong.  We are still seeing the same mistakes time and time again at the midway point of these games and at the end.  If Auburn exerts maximum effort for the first 5 to ten mins of the 2d half and we demoralize anyone we play.  If they come out flat after halftime and play uninspired and unorganized it gives the home team underdogs a whole new lease on life despite what the score is at halftime.  I LOVE this team, so don't get me wrong.  I think they can beat anyone at any time when playing solid Bruce Pearl Auburn basketball.  But this winning streak and No.1 ranking has somehow softened them to some degree.  They don't seem to have the chip on their shoulder like everyone outside of the program noticed when announcing games earlier in the season.  Its like they feel like they have already arrived so-to-speak.  It is definitely a little concerning.  Lets all hope this was the humbling and embarrassment they needed to get their heads back on straight and their asses in gear! This team should be doing everything in their power to win the regular season SEC title.  Then when that's done, everything in their power to win the SEC tourney, and finally when that is all over and done with, be absolutely laser-focused on one game at a time to the title game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Another thing to point out is the awful decisions at the under 2 in regulation. We were up five and bricking 3s for what? Even half common sense basketball closes that out and wins that game. I’m sick about Wendell’s shot but the more I think about the atrocious play under 2 I get more sick. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

True, but did Jabari get touches at the end like he should have?  Didn't seem like he did.

I'd be lying if I said I paid attention and kept up with it. He didn't get it at the end of regulation for a shot and I truly believe he should have. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, just mentioning that everybody probably was under the same mindset to not get Kessler the ball late

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Can we talk about KD for a minute? What in the world happened tonight? It was like he totally disappeared. That runner toward the end where he could have just driven it to the rack…huh? This was the left field thing of the season to me.

It's something that's happening to Russell Westbrook, who I've personally decided is the closest comparison I know of, where the team asked him to play smarter and specifically play more team ball, and that really screwed with his scoring. Like even the spots Russ felt comfortable with, he wasn't comfortable. It's a couple game sample, but I think KD is having an inner conflict on every offensive possession tbh

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Another thing to point out is the awful decisions at the under 2 in regulation. We were up five and bricking 3s for what? Even half common sense basketball closes that out and wins that game. I’m sick about Wendell’s shot but the more I think about the atrocious play under 2 I get more sick. 

I actually forgot we were up by 5 after WG's made 3.   Were our next 2 shots a 3 by Al and a 3 by Devan?