Expectations For Harsin

Rednilla

Expectations  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is the bare minimum Bryan Harsin has to accomplish in the regular season to warrant a third year at Auburn?

• 6 wins or less (i.e. he should get a third year regardless of what happens on the field)
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 10 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally

1 hour ago, Didba said:

@Mikey  See this as per your question. 

See this as the exposure of you slinging unsubstantiated BS. It's put up or shut up time. Post a link with quote or eat crow.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

In other words, you can't prove what you claim and you're just slinging BS. Of course, you and I both knew that already.

No, you just haven't gotten to me enough to bother with it. You have 28,000 posts on this site. I have other things to do with my time.

Moving on from the troll, IMO, barring a total collapse on the field and in recruiting Harsin should be retained. This program isn't ready to fire a head coach after his second year in the current wild west college football landscape. The aftermath would be so detrimental to the program, it might never recover.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, metafour said:

Dude...

Todd Bowles is 58 years old and has spent the last 22 years of his career coaching in the NFL. He spent 4 seasons as the HC of the New York Jets and after his success as Tampa Bay's DC was obviously going to be on the shortlist for another NFL HC job.

Do you understand the concept of an NFL-lifer? This isn't Madden, there are coaches who have zero interest in coaching in College. You can identify them pretty easily by spending two minutes on Wikipedia.

If you're going to suggest alternatives, at least use some common sense and screen your supposed candidates. Saying "well how do you know he wouldn't take the job? Was he asked?" isn't a response. 

Dude do you not understand chasing after winners and saying things like he a nfl lifer and he is not coming to to college and then having low standards as malzahn and harsins because they will come to Auburn.

People told Stanford and Bama that Walsh and Saben would also not come.  

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

See this as the exposure of you slinging unsubstantiated BS. It's put up or shut up time. Post a link with quote or eat crow.

😂😂😂

On 5/27/2022 at 8:20 AM, Rednilla said:

What is it that makes you think that any of those coaches would have come to Auburn?

Look I don't know whether any would come to Auburn or not but I know setting low expectation that got us gus and harsin is not working.  Let go after those coaches we know will come to Auburn.

• Facepalm 2

19 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Look I don't know whether any would come to Auburn. Let go after those coaches we know will come to Auburn.

🤔

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Look I don't know whether any would come to Auburn or not but I know setting low expectation that got us gus and harsin is not working.  Let go after those coaches we know will come to Auburn.

Your statement is confusing. You first stated you don’t know if they will come, then state we should go after those we know will come? Trying to understand your point other than you want AU to hire someone other than Harsin. Thst is clear to me.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Dude do you not understand chasing after winners and saying things like he a nfl lifer and he is not coming to to college and then having low standards as malzahn and harsins because they will come to Auburn.

Walsh was a college coach how many moons ago. Saban was acting as a pro coach and probably was scratching that off his bucket list. He was a college coach first. Remember Van Gorder who was a respectable DC in the pros how did his college adventure turn out. I can even up the ante where is Charlie Weis.

Edited by e808

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Your statement is confusing. You first stated you don’t know if they will come, then state we should go after those we know will come? Trying to understand your point other than you want AU to hire someone other than Harsin. Thst is clear to me.

I lol'ed at that clear contradiction as well.

3 hours ago, Carnell said:

Here is the thing with Auburn Football.  It is a top ten program and a mid to bottom tier job.   Decades of meddling and incompetence by boosters have agents pushing their clients away from the job. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Here is the thing with Auburn Football.  It is a top ten program and a mid to bottom tier job.   Decades of meddling and incompetence by boosters have agents pushing their clients away from the job. 

I'm not sure if we actually have worse boosters than any other program but you know what they say about the business world...I firmly believe it's the halo effect stemming from who our rivals are...

I don't believe we need an elite coaching hire--if Harsin can't right the ship, all we need someone who knows how to recruit and inspire excitement in the program. If the time comes soon, all we need is someone on the level of, say, Shane Beamer, which is why I think we would be wise to go after Dell. If we couldn't even get him, it would be time to shut the program down.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, e808 said:

Walsh was a college coach how many moons ago. Saban was acting as a pro coach and probably was scratching that off his bucket list. He was a college coach first. Remember Van Gorder who was a respectable DC in the pros how did his college adventure turn out. I can even up the ante where is Charlie Weis.

Not to mention NS was in a situation like petrino where they were hoping to get out. It wasn’t like he was actively successful like the guys he named. 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Question is, should we hang on to Harsin regardless to try to instead raise NIL $?

Edited by AUwent

22 hours ago, auburnphan said:

It is a top ten program

I wish I could agree with this. Our performance year to year does not reflect a Top 10 program. We are way too inconsistent and our performance too erratic to be. I long for the days when we will be though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I wish I could agree with this. Our performance year to year does not reflect a Top 10 program. We are way too inconsistent and our performance too erratic to be. I long for the days when we will be though. 

I wouldn't say we're a top 10 program, but I can see a pretty strong argument for top 15. We're still 13th on the all time wins list, we won a national championship eleven seasons ago and played for another within the last decade, plus another undefeated season since the turn of the century.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I wouldn't say we're a top 10 program, but I can see a pretty strong argument for top 15. We're still 13th on the all time wins list, we won a national championship eleven seasons ago and played for another within the last decade, plus another undefeated season since the turn of the century.

I agree with all of that. What holds us back is consistency.  We haven’t had back to back 10 win seasons since the late 80s and our last 3 coaches with undefeated seasons were fired shortly after for failing to sustain. More consistency and we could be a Top 10 program. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 2:21 PM, shabby said:

I don't think any of the options really reflect what he needs to do. It doesn't matter if he recruits in the top ten nationally if he pulls in another Abysmal Offensive Line class. Honestly that's what determines whether he should get another year (How he does recruiting our most pressing needs)

Agree but if we don't win...we're not going to recruit as well as we should in my opinion. I think the staff has done a great job getting recruits interested and feeling valued. But if we don't get at least 7 wins i think we're probably going to miss out on the top recruits.

We can't go 0-4 or 1-3 against UGA, BAMA, TX A&M and LSU. If we can at least be .500 against those teams, that would really show progress to recruits. Probably can throw Penn St. into that group too. Wouldn't be a good look losing to them back to back. 

On 5/27/2022 at 2:40 PM, Rednilla said:

This is perhaps the biggest thing to me: he's growing and adapting. We haven't had a coach who did that since at least Tubs, and maybe not since Dye. Time will tell if he's able to adapt and fit at Auburn or not, but I'd really love for it to happen.

How did Tubs grow and adapt?  He went through coordinators like Gus did Double Bubble.  Harsin is the only one of the bunch that was a fish out of water when he got here.  That wouldn't be too much to overcome for most people, but Harsin approached the job with what came across to most as a lot of hostility.  He has made a conscious effort to change that impression.  It will be best for everyone if he is able to do that and find some success on the field.  We will see.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Either way we are a top 20 program but not a great head coaching job.....that was the point that we are getting away from.

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

How did Tubs grow and adapt?  He went through coordinators like Gus did Double Bubble.  Harsin is the only one of the bunch that was a fish out of water when he got here.  That wouldn't be too much to overcome for most people, but Harsin approached the job with what came across to most as a lot of hostility.  He has made a conscious effort to change that impression.  It will be best for everyone if he is able to do that and find some success on the field.  We will see.

Tubs, really didn't.  He used his Ole Miss blueprint but recruiting got easier because of Auburn.  

Harsin's mistake was focusing 100% on the team and the culture and not taking the time to kiss butt with people in the AD and the boosters.  The country club setting Gus ran ended and employees didn't like it and got their feelings hurt.

He should have mad every person within the football offices re-apply for their job.  Take away some of their entitlement they felt they had.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Tubs, really didn't.  He used his Ole Miss blueprint but recruiting got easier because of Auburn.  

Harsin's mistake was focusing 100% on the team and the culture and not taking the time to kiss butt with people in the AD and the boosters.  The country club setting Gus ran ended and employees didn't like it and got their feelings hurt.

He should have mad every person within the football offices re-apply for their job.  Take away some of their entitlement they felt they had.

I was thinking about this last night. The first step needs/should be to fix the locker room. The last group of players seem like good people, but did not seem to get along with their coaches or each other. Hard to watch guys having to be restrained from each other on the sideline or dancing as we're getting killed.

Harsin waited a year but finally lanced the boil by running off 20 guys. Unfortunately we experienced the pain of the infection being relieved in the most drastic way possible. Get players in that like being around each other and are in it to better themselves and not for the perks and things will start to get better. That's something that Harsin can build off of, and if not, will at least leave the next guy with a much better program

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Gus was much too detail oriented to be accused of being that relaxed.  Nobody is entitled to treat employees badly.  Period.  Harsin was justifiably called out for it and has pledged to change the way he relates to others.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

I was thinking about this last night. The first step needs/should be to fix the locker room. The last group of players seem like good people, but did not seem to get along with their coaches or each other. Hard to watch guys having to be restrained from each other on the sideline or dancing as we're getting killed.

Harsin waited a year but finally lanced the boil by running off 20 guys. Unfortunately we experienced the pain of the infection being relieved in the most drastic way possible. Get players in that like being around each other and are in it to better themselves and not for the perks and things will start to get better. That's something that Harsin can build off of, and if not, will at least leave the next guy with a much better program

Maybe. The thing is that no matter how good of an attitude and work ethic your players have, if they don't have the raw talent to compete with the schedule they play then you're not going to be successful. 

recruiting is everything really. Optimally you'd want a program full of very talented, disciplined guys with great attitudes. If I had to pick though, I'd take highly talented guys with some attitude problems over a collective group of less talented guys who have great attitudes. 

I think the talent alone would give you a better chance at winning even if it similarly causes problems in other areas.  

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1