Status of Finley for UGA

russnagel1

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Agreed. Love his upside. He's just very, very raw. 

Backyard football is probably the only way we score points this weekend and I agree.

As for Finley, just get healthy. You have no future in football. Your health comes first. Don't risk your body for this mediocre football team. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

Swapping QBs at this point in the season, I'd pull the trigger on the fire.  Run Robby...TJ may be a better passer, but Robby is accurate on the run, and our QBs will constantly be on the run.  TJ needs to come out and just back Robby publicly the rest of the season.  Let Robby lead.  Led TJ coach.  That's his future anyway...let's be honest.

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 4

With our lack of OL I would stick with Robby.  At least he can avoid the inevitable pressure more often than any other QB on the roster.

• Like 2

You stick with him in hopes he can throw the ball. The last thing you do against an athletic defense such as this is say play him because he can run.....

I don't know why people come to that conclusion and say that so much. The last thing you want is your QB running around.....that's turnovers waiting to happen guaranteed

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You stick with him in hopes he can throw the ball. The last thing you do against an athletic defense such as this is say play him because he can run.....

I don't know why people come to that conclusion and say that so much. The last thing you want is your QB running around.....that's turnovers waiting to happen guaranteed

On passing plays I want him to utilize his legs only enough to buy a little time. I watch QB's who are not great runners who move up at right time  often just enough to help blocker reset and then make a throw. Robbie made some great throws on the run that helped us to score in 1st half but while outside of the pocket there was no defender so his footwork was still good and he made some great throws. On the fumble that turned the game around he was running for his life and tried to throw with a defender right there.  A sack would have been a lot better.

On the whole Robbie played a great game against LSU but a key mistake (Partly because of a great defensive play by LSU) gave LSU the momentum they needed.

I think we are basically 2017 Kentucky when they played their best WR most of the year in QB role. RA may definitely improve in the QB part of his role, but most of that has been opened up by his running game.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

On passing plays I want him to utilize his legs only enough to buy a little time. I watch QB's who are not great runners who move up at right time  often just enough to help blocker reset and then make a throw. Robbie made some great throws on the run that helped us to score in 1st half but while outside of the pocket there was no defender so his footwork was still good and he made some great throws. On the fumble that turned the game around he was running for his life and tried to throw with a defender right there.  A sack would have been a lot better.

On the whole Robbie played a great game against LSU but a key mistake (Partly because of a great defensive play by LSU) gave LSU the momentum they needed.

I just think he had some good plays but also sone poor plays. The fumble you speak of, I don’t think he knew the guy was coming. He had several unforced fumbles. The interception by the guy just taking it away from WR was not his fault, I didn’t think. He is not the QB you described above YET, but maybe as he is learning fast. Remember Kirby said he was not even practicing as a QB at Oregon but as a WR/ athletes. Apparently last QB work was in HS.

When they do run, Robbie and Tank both need to be North/South runners this weekend. UGa is too fast to be dancing around East/West. Play callers need to remember that too and not put the players in a bad position.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I wasn't thinking Finley should play over Ashford. If Finley isn't ready to go and can't back Ashford up in case Ashford gets hurt running around, then Ashford should not get any QB run plays. If he has to bail out of the pocket that's fine, just no QB runs.

Nothing Iike putting the otherwise starter (TJ) in doubt to make him focus. If TJ can go, start Robbie w/ a quick TJ insert. Harsin & co will need a very VERY unexpected plan to make this game competitive. Throws to TEs and Tank (he's a lethal receiver option when not dropping ball) would screw w/ UGa's D that was gassed by measely Ga State. We can do this!

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

The last thing you want is your QB running around.....that's turnovers waiting to happen guaranteed

I don’t think anyone wants that to happen, but with our OL we don’t have a choice. 

I know you guys hate me but I really think AU will beat the dawgs on CBS this weekend. Georgia showed a lot of issues this past weekend and we all know they lost a ton from last years team. It is going to catch up with them.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, E'Town4Bama said:

I know you guys hate me but I really think AU will beat the dawgs on CBS this weekend. Georgia showed a lot of issues this past weekend and we all know they lost a ton from last years team. It is going to catch up with them.

We will turn it over 4 times minimum 

• Haha 1

i feel so bad for tj. i liked him a lot but at the end of the day it is a competitive sport and i keep reminding myself. but was there not a time a qb could not lose his starting job from an injury. maybe all the positions on the team? i might be confused but i believe i heard a couple of coaches say that over the years. i think tj should be given starting role back and have to fight off robby for the starting position when he is healthy. maybe all this has changed. i am certainly no coach.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i feel so bad for tj. i liked him a lot but at the end of the day it is a competitive sport and i keep reminding myself. but was there not a time a qb could not lose his starting job from an injury. maybe all the positions on the team? i might be confused but i believe i heard a couple of coaches say that over the years. i think tj should be given starting role back and have to fight off robby for the starting position when he is healthy. maybe all this has changed. i am certainly no coach.

Noone will know when he is completely healthy. It’s his throwing shoulder so it is likely to give him a hitch in his motion, untill he has several weeks off wo any throws.

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I think we are basically 2017 Kentucky when they played their best WR most of the year in QB role. RA may definitely improve in the QB part of his role, but most of that has been opened up by his running game.

Our best WR just took a red shirt

I hope on those roll outs we know that we will not out run those linebackers and plan routes accordingly. LSU ran us down.  Georgia much faster. 

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't want the QB to run, but a rivalry game might be what gets UGA to stop sleepwalking through games, and our O line is .... not the best. Any AU QB is gonna have to move unless every pass is split second after snap.

Maybe I'm gettin old, but I'd also worry about Finley health. If he's not 100% good, don't want him to get reinjured quickly by going in too soon.