2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

1. Prime.   Distant 2. Kiffen

Dont believe any of the other candidates can dig us out of this uga/bama recruiting hole  and track to elite status  -  others just get us back where  we were. Freeze is in a totally separate category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Deion can IMMEDIATELY recruit against Saban and Smart.  He is the only option if we want to begin rebuilding by getting the best players.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

exactly. we already stole their AD. let's just be the state of Mississippi's arch-nemesis and take the other one's head ball coach. regardless, it looks/sounds like Lane, Prime Time, and Freeze are serious candidates, so I'd say chances are high we take a head coach who is/was from the state.

And we may not land Lane. I just don't understand how it would be a hard sell if we did go hard after him. I get if he wouldn't come b/c he doesn't like the set up of the administration or he didn't feel he'd have enough power to do what he needed to do. But if he has those things then i don't see him choosing Ole Miss over AU. I could be totally wrong though.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Let's see how many pages this bad boy will reach.

Currently, according to ON3 the hot board includes:

1. Lane Kiffin - allegedly Cohen's #1 choice
  2. Matt Rhule
  3. Deion Sanders
  4. Hugh Freeze
  5. Jeff Grimes
  6. Mark Stoops
  7. Charles Kelly

That’s a good list..

I would only be unhappy with #4

• Like 3

Let me preface this by saying that I really want Deion Sanders, as our next coach.  I'm 100% in the Coach Prime corner.  However, I will add this: 

It is going to take some time for Auburn to build back.  For example, if I'm not mistaken, I believe our entire OL will be freshmen next year (unless we make a killing in the portal).  If you ask yourself, "which coach can generate the most patience from the AU fanbase?",  I have to say that might be Hugh Freeze.  He is a proven winner at multiple schools and the fan base might be willing to give him time, with the belief that he will eventually turn things around.

Whomever it is, needs to be able to recruit.  We have got to start recruiting!

8 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

Let me preface this by saying that I really want Deion Sanders, as our next coach.  I'm 100% in the Coach Prime corner.  However, I will add this: 

It is going to take some time for Auburn to build back.  For example, if I'm not mistaken, I believe our entire OL will be freshmen next year (unless we make a killing in the portal).  If you ask yourself, "which coach can generate the most patience from the AU fanbase?",  I have to say that might be Hugh Freeze.  He is a proven winner at multiple schools and the fan base might be willing to give him time, with the belief that he will eventually turn things around.

I think our fanbase would be patient with most of the coaches on that list b/c they've shown that they can build a program along with recruit at a high level. It's when names like Steele is thrown out there; the cycle will likely continue.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

And we may not land Lane. I just don't understand how it would be a hard sell if we did go hard after him. I get if he wouldn't come b/c he doesn't like the set up of the administration or he didn't feel he'd have enough power to do what he needed to do. But if he has those things then i don't see him choosing Ole Miss over AU. I could be totally wrong though.

Yup. Worst-case scenario: we should force Ole Miss to Lane more money than they are now to put them in a 2017 Auburn-Gus financial/buyout situation, if nothing else. I'm sure Jimmy Sexton would be on board.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Does anybody know any of the buyouts for any of these coaches? Or what they are currently making?

more than I can afford 🤑

15 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

Would be difficult for Freeze to recruit with his baggage. 

The answer to your question is…

deion-sanders.gif

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Let's see how many pages this bad boy will reach.

Currently, according to ON3 the hot board includes:

1. Lane Kiffin - allegedly Cohen's #1 choice
  2. Matt Rhule
  3. Deion Sanders
  4. Hugh Freeze
  5. Jeff Grimes
  6. Mark Stoops
  7. Charles Kelly

Hopefully only 4-5 pages as we announce Deion within a day or two.

• Love 1

Might be unpopular, but I can't get onboard with a Kiffin hire. He makes some head scratching in game calls (Auburn game last year as one example) and I don't think his recruiting is elite. On top of that, we'd have to pay a lot to get him and he hasn't sustained anywhere yet (leaves after 2 or 3 seasons). 

For the money, we're probably better off with other candidates.

46 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I don't understand why people think we can't get Kiffen. I don't think we have to drastically over pay to get him. Let him run it his way and support him with NIL should be an easy sell. It's Ole Miss we're talking about. Even with the playoffs opening up, Ole Miss is not a contender to win a championship. Lane has built Ole Miss primarily through the portal. They're not winning any big recruiting battles. That opens up at Auburn for him and he has a real shot to beat the midget. Ole Miss is not some great spot to retire for someone like Lane. Auburn is a top 15 job in CFB. Unless Lane is waiting for a bigger/better program to open up....AU is several steps above Ole Miss. We constantly dismiss the Miss schools but now we feel like we can't steal a coach from them?

I worry about Kiffen and recruiting.  But he does great in the portal 

14 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

Might be unpopular, but I can't get onboard with a Kiffin hire. He makes some head scratching in game calls (Auburn game last year as one example) and I don't think his recruiting is elite. On top of that, we'd have to pay a lot to get him and he hasn't sustained anywhere yet (leaves after 2 or 3 seasons). 

For the money, we're probably better off with other candidates.

Agreed and I don’t think he’d leave OM for us. 

We are a huge rebuild job.

To get either Sanders or Kiffen, we'd have to throw the keys to the bank at them and even then I don't know if it's enough. Both will be at the top of everyone's coaching search from here on and both know it. Kiffen is in a better position at Ole Miss and can use us to increase his pay. Sanders can wait on jobs like FSU that are not as harsh a rebuild in conferences with easier roads to the playoffs. Clark just seems like a bad joke considering the history there. Rhule is an interesting name and if Grimes is still on the table, that too. 

It probably will be a name we aren't expecting, but I'll be interested to see if play out. I just hope it doesn't wind up being Freeze.

• Like 1

Sanders could bring so much to the university by having him as our HC. I think his energy would attract recruits to help move us into the top tier of SEC programs again. I'm also confident that he would bring a spark to the team and fan base that we've been missing for awhile. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

We are a huge rebuild job.

To get either Sanders or Kiffen, we'd have to throw the keys to the bank at them and even then I don't know if it's enough. Both will be at the top of everyone's coaching search from here on and both know it. Kiffen is in a better position at Ole Miss and can use us to increase his pay. Sanders can wait on jobs like FSU that are not as harsh a rebuild in conferences with easier roads to the playoffs. Clark just seems like a bad joke considering the history there. Rhule is an interesting name and if Grimes is still on the table, that too. 

It probably will be a name we aren't expecting, but I'll be interested to see if play out. I just hope it doesn't wind up being Freeze.

Kiffin and Heupal both had a larger gap to cover.  With the portal, you can bridge a lot faster.