Has Lane Kiffin ever won a big game?

TeamZero77

This question was posed today on a radio show. A caller said that whenever Kiffin has been in a big game as a HC, he has lost. He pointed out the 2009 game between Tennessee and Alabama. Kiffin was coaching Tennessee and lost 12-10 because Mount Cody blocked 2 field goal attempts. Bama went undefeated that year and won their 1st title with Saban. Just saturday night, Kiffin had that game won against Bama. He ran Judkins down their throats all game. The final drive, Judkins had 2 long runs to set them up in the red zone. Kiffin called 4 straight pass plays, 2 of which were sacks on his QB Dart. They lost the game by 6. Last year against Auburn, he went for 4th down 5 times instead of kicking the field goals. We beat them by 11 and if Lane had chosen to kick the field goals, they would've won. 

The analytics has cost Kiffin quiet a few games. If we hire him as our HC, get ready to pull your hair out some games because he makes some really strange decisions in crunch time. 

So back to my original question, has he ever won a big game? 

• Thanks 1

He must get a stout DC.  It has been his achilles heal.  Don't think he has ever had a problem with his offense.  Its been the defense that has folded.  Need a bull dog as his DC.  Get Muschamp back.

• Facepalm 1

Welp, define "big game."

While at FAU, he won the conference championship.

At USC, he beat Iowa in the Orange Bowl, and Michigan in the Rose Bowl. How often does the PAC12 win these days?

He's taken Ole Miss from the dumpster to the competitor category.

Personally, I'm not eager to see Kiffin as the Auburn head coach, but also, IMO, he don't suck donkey b**ls.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, AURex said:

Welp, define "big game."

At USC, he beat Iowa in the Orange Bowl, and Michigan in the Rose Bowl. How often does the PAC12 win these days?

Personally, I'm not eager to see Kiffin as the Auburn head coach, but also, IMO, he don't suck donkey b**ls.

This is where I am as well. I see major flaws but he is a top coach. He needs the best DC money can buy because he is going to make some questionable coaching decisions (see this past weekend). But he is a name brand and at the moment we need someone who can recruit. 

Does it matter? If he’s hired, you either support him or work to make his time here miserable. And in turn, AU football miserable. 
At this point, Cohen and Roberts have their plan.

• Like 4

Of our reported candidates, who’s won a “big game”? Not Lanning. Not Deion. Freeze beat Bammer twice I guess. By your query he must be your choice which is fine and all. Just an odd requirement in the totality of things. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Of our reported candidates, who’s won a “big game”? Not Lanning. Not Deion. Freeze beat Bammer twice I guess. By your query he must be your choice which is fine and all. Just an odd requirement in the totality of things. 

I know a coach currently coaching a team in Florida who won an SEC Championship and played for another, played for a national championship, won an SEC and national championship as an OC, and beat bama multiple times. We should give him a look!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AURex said:

Welp, define "big game."

Word for word what I tried to tell one of my buddies last night.

13 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I know a coach currently coaching a team in Florida who won an SEC Championship and played for another, played for a national championship, won an SEC and national championship as an OC, and beat bama multiple times. We should give him a look!

:dunno:

In regards to the AL game Saturday night, you have to remember that the field shrinks significantly inside the red zone. 

In the end Alabama's superior athletes won out, and made the plays to keep Ole Miss out of the end zone. In hindsight Lane should have kicked the field goal early in the game, but he didn't think field goals were going to beat Bryce Young. 

Lane was one play away from beating an Alabama team that is beatable, yet one that also has superior athletes to Ole Miss at nearly every position. If you ask me it's a testament to how good of a coach he is just to be in that position. 

• Like 5

“The analytics cost him the game”

How do you know the 4 pass calls were based on analytics?

The people obsessing over 4th down calls in any game are missing the big picture.  

“strange decisions” we’ve lived with that since 2014. We had a HC who made a strange decision to never invest in developing QB’s or recruiting OL for his scheme. Our last coach made a strange decision to not recruit at all. 

• Like 3

There's no coach out there who is a perfect candidate. One who never loses bad games, wins more big games than he loses, is a great recruiter, makes great gameday decisions in all situations...

Everyone is going to have their risks, weaknesses, or question marks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AURex said:

Welp, define "big game."

His first year at OM he beat a top 10 big10 team in their bowl game.  When is the last time AU has been able to accomplish that?  The next year he beat a #13 ranked Arkansas team. The year after that he beat a #7 ranked UK team.

• Like 1

It’s hilarious to me that people complain about CLK but want them some caddy after beating a 3-7 aggies team in one of the worst offensive games I’ve seen in my life. And I watch Thursday night football every week, so that’s telling. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Yes, but after he beat bammer twice he had the inside track to the west and failed to close the deal. We fired Gus but after big game wins he sort of closed the door but not all the way.  In 2013, gus beat Bama and won the west and SEC but failed to win BCS and in 2017 after beating Bama to win the West he lost in the SEC cha.pionship.  what I am saying for those people that want Freeze, we fired Gus who had more success than Freeze.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Most of us just have the op on ignore

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s hilarious to me that people complain about CLK but want them some caddy after beating a 3-7 aggies team in one of the worst offensive games I’ve seen in my life. And I watch Thursday night football every week, so that’s telling. 

I almost started a thread on this thought. The way some people react to one game is crazy. Especially if it's bammer. People literally want to hire coaches off of beating a team one time. 

It wouldn't matter if a starting QB didn't play or if the best players on a team were missing, or any of that. Just hey they won this one game he's a great coach!

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

I almost started a thread on this thought. The way some people react to one game is crazy. Especially if it's bammer. People literally want to hire coaches off of beating a team one time. 

It wouldn't matter if a starting QB didn't play or if the best players on a team were missing, or any of that. Just hey they won this one game he's a great coach!

It drives me crazy. Now watch the overreaction if ALABAMA obliterates us. Watch how the fans will turn on him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

It drives me crazy. Now watch the overreaction if ALABAMA obliterates us. Watch how the fans will turn on him.

Nonsense!

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Yes, but after he beat bammer twice he had the inside track to the west and failed to close the deal. We fired Gus but after big game wins he sort of closed the door but not all the way.  In 2013, gus beat Bama and won the west and SEC but failed to win BCS and in 2017 after beating Bama to win the West he lost in the SEC cha.pionship.  what I am saying for those people that want Freeze, we fired Gus who had more success than Freeze.  

I agree. I see folks refer to Freeze as Gus 2.0 but I’m not sure I’d even give him that much credit. Gus has by far the better resume.