Not backtracking now...

TitanTiger

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Freeze was on my list of candidates I was ok with from the beginning of this process, with reservations of course.  And I'll be listening intently to the additional background checking we did over the last few days as well as what Freeze himself says.  But I plan on supporting Auburn.  The players deserve it even if you don't think the coach does.

Cole Cubelics comments were very frank but positive. He claimed Freeze was vetted very closely by some entity outside the AU family and the results of that cleared the way. I know Cole is media now but he seemed at least a little dialed and came across like he knew what transpired. That’s good enough for me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Freeze was on my list of candidates I was ok with from the beginning of this process, with reservations of course.  And I'll be listening intently to the additional background checking we did over the last few days as well as what Freeze himself says.  But I plan on supporting Auburn.  The players deserve it even if you don't think the coach does.

Ditto.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

No, the flaw lies in the hyperbolic hypocrisy.

How many against Hugh were all aboard the Lane Train?

I KNOW that Lane has and continues to do much worse than HF ever has and yet... Lane =Great, Hugh = Evil. 

I see this is the cudgel you and others continue to employ to deflect criticism of Freeze. Even if we never offered Kiffin and he was never an option, I still wouldn't support this hire. Freeze's DM is indefensible, no matter how generous you want to look at it. Some will support Auburn football no matter what and that's fine but throwing out Kiffin's moral failings isn't a good defense of Freeze no matter how much some want to spin it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I KNOW that Lane has and continues to do much worse than HF ever has and yet... Lane =Great, Hugh = Evil. 

I've heard stories about Lane and his time in Tuscaloosa.  Yikes, would probably put Hugh Freeze to shame.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I see this is the cudgel you and others continue to employ to deflect criticism of Freeze. Even if we never offered Kiffin and he was never an option, I still wouldn't support this hire. Freeze's DM is indefensible, no matter how generous you want to look at it. Some will support Auburn football no matter what and that's fine but throwing out Kiffin's moral failings isn't a good defense of Freeze no matter how much some want to spin it.

I don’t believe he (bigbird) is trying to cover Freeze with Kiffin. What I got is not using same measuring sticks. Moving goalposts wider for one and narrower for another. Sorry, my 2 cents.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

So dont support it. Why keep posting about how you wont support the hire? Auburn Football wont shut down because some fans are mad about the coaching hire.

• Like 1

I was a bit meh yesterday bc I grow tired of AU being drug through the mud over and over. It just hurts to see, but if Freeze has made strides since his transgressions and is able to develop these young men on and off the field, it will not only change their lives for the better, but their families also.  If he does that and does nothing to hurt/damage AU or the players then you can't ask for much else other than winning ball games. He'll either be successful here or we'll be looking for a new coach in a couple of years. I'm in a wait and see approach like a good many in this thread. But I will always support AU and the players.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

That’s a good way to put it.   I don’t think going hysterical without having nearly as much info as one thinks is wise.   I also don’t think blindly supporting a hire with this kind of baggage is wise.  I think a cautiously optimistic approach is best.  

Yep, I'm giving you a chance ... win me over.

27 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I'm not trying to sway any ones opinion, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 3

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is what I posted as well. Not even just with Lane but I don't understand the guys that were running around in every thread questioning everybody's character and then when it's someone they like IMMEDIATELY go to the we all have fallen short speech to quiet everybody else because they don't want anybody to do to their guy what they were doing to everybody else.

Already going to the freeze is being unfairly discussed stuff....these are guys who literally would lie and say they want a guy hired so they can now question every single thing about that guy.....Now they are moderators to shutting everybody else up. 

I've been reading Auburn's forums since I was 18. I've seen it all now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

If you think not "coming around" to like that scumbag is some kind of flaw......then your judgement is also suspect. I think Auburn has lowered itself by hiring a man with a very bad character. There's plenty of evidence to back that up....and virtually none to show that he's the kind of man who should be a leader of young men. 

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

@icanthearyou, you'll never see it with your eyes covered 

Oh, I see it.  You can't miss it.  We are taking a stupid risk, lacking all principle.   I appreciate your rallying of the base.  I truly do.  However, I am going to have to see a much different HF before I support this in any way.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Oh, I see it.  You can't miss it.  We are taking a stupid risk, lacking all principle.   I appreciate your rallying of the base.  I truly do.  However, I am going to have to see a much different HF before I support this in any way.

I'm not rallying anything, just making sure the details are known before some make up their mind. I see I'm late.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not rallying anything, just making sure the details are known before some make up their mind. I see I'm late.

What details?  We all know HF's pattern of behavior.  We all know the choice Auburn has made.  The rest is just justifications and rationalizations.

But please, if you have new details, please share.

You always have to give people their opportunity to react how they want. Unfortunately at times that means people going off of stuff that's based on all emotion. Literally not one fact, I watched this in the different coaches candidate thread. 

As a matter of fact people will get offended if they were believing something to be true and you show that it's not. That literally is an argument. 

Should have actually tried to fix it when it first started. People trying to correct it now when it's been allowed to go on the last few months is crazy imo. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Me: *googles cudgel*

Nice GIFs | Reaction GIFs

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

What details?  We all know HF's pattern of behavior.  We all know the choice Auburn has made.  The rest is just justifications and rationalizations.

But please, if you have new details, please share.

I don't think he was claiming to have details.  which is his point.  W don't know all the details,  a few facts and boatloads of unsubstantiated rumors that some people keep trying to push.   We all need to wait until the facts come out. In the mean time I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

So far there have been a lot of facts that have disproved some of the rumors and misinformation.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

We talking Wolf of Wall Street level shenanigans?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chrysalis99 said:

Cole Cubelics comments were very frank but positive. He claimed Freeze was vetted very closely by some entity outside the AU family and the results of that cleared the way. I know Cole is media now but he seemed at least a little dialed and came across like he knew what transpired. That’s good enough for me.

Cole is a professional but a great ambassador for Auburn in the media. Some schools need that. 

• Like 1

A scorpion and a frog meet each other on the banks of a stream. The scorpion is on its way to the other side of the bank and but the waters are too treacherous for it to cross.

So the scorpion politely asks the frog to help carry it across the water. The scorpion tells the frog he is an excellent swimmer with wide back that can easily carry him across.

Suspicious, the frog asks the scorpion, “How do I know you won’t sting me?” The scorpion replies, “Why would I do that? Then we would both drown.” The frog is still unsure and asks the scorpion more questions. The scorpion always seems to have a logical answer.

Satisfied with the scorpion’s reasoning, the frog allows the scorpion to climb on his back and they begin their journey across the water. The waves are high and so the scorpion holds on tight to the frogs body.

However, before they can make it halfway across the stream, the frog feels a sting right in the middle of his back and feels the spread of venom slowly taking over his limbs.

The frog begins to slowly sink under the water and, realizing what has happened, has time to gasp out, “Why did you do that? Now we will both drown and die!”

As the scorpion sinks under with the frog, it replies, “It’s in my nature.”

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

For the record then, I wanted neither LK or HF.  My hopeful was Urban, even knowing that he would never be considered.  For all the money we spent on mediocre results with Gus and fall-off-the-edge-of-the-earth results with BH, we could have had Urban Meyer Fedex'd here overnight when we needed a winning program.

AU spent almost $70 million in salaries and separation for essentially 5 years of coaching.  What coach could AU not have had ?  Instead, HF was chosen, another mediocre coach who compromised himself on and off the field; the question about his conduct will always linger at AU.

According to Jay Tate, LK passed on AU because he would have had to surrender some control of the program.  Exactly what control wasn't specified but given that HF had to relinquish his Twitter feed makes me speculate it was LK's Twitter account that was a deal breaker for him.  Not defending LK, but, if true about relinquishing control, then he proved to be his own man, but HF not so much.  He quickly relinquished control to his Twitter.  He's a bit too needy.

Yes, UM has his ethical issues, but if AU is going to allow such in a hc, as with HF, then we should have pursued a known winner, not another wanna be.

AU's football program will continue to struggle with HF.  I don't care if he beat UA the year they won a NC.  Gus beat UA in 2017 when they won the NC and we finally dumped him.  Choosing unproven head coaches seems to be AU's penchant when there have been other, better options.

WDE !!!

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

According to Jay Tate, LK passed on AU because he would have had to surrender some control of the program. 

That's not correct 

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

For the record then, I wanted neither LK or HF.  My hopeful was Urban

You are opposed Lane and Hugh but would've supported Urban? Really? 

Your comparisons are Apples to Abominable snowmen.

• Haha 3