2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

31 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Serious question; his head coach Mike Gundy is a former QB and has always had good QB's at Okie St. and they've seemed to always put up big numbers under his tutelage. Between Gundy and Freeze, who would you give the edge to as a QB coach? We also have Philip Montgomery and Kent Austin as well that will play a huge part in QB development. I haven't looked to see who Gundy has with him to teach their QB's. 

I can’t give an answer. It is an interested perspective on Gundy. I’ve never thought of him that way, but as you stated he has had some success with QB’s.

Personally, I tend to think a lot of QBs in the Big-12 in his time have had some huge numbers. One could argue that none had as much success consecutively as Gundy has. So maybe there is some substance to his QB coaching. It’s just hard for me living in Big-12 country to ever admit that. As I read on this board earlier. Ppl love their story to fit the narrative. (Or something like that) lol. I’m sure I’m not different in that regard. 

Anyways, you ask a great question.  I appreciate opening my eyes to something that I’ve never thought of.  Something about Gundy rubs me the wrong way, but that should not mean I dismiss him as being a good QB coach  

Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Like maybe a  Maryland transfer defensive lineman  

That's one

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Serious question; his head coach Mike Gundy is a former QB and has always had good QB's at Okie St. and they've seemed to always put up big numbers under his tutelage. Between Gundy and Freeze, who would you give the edge to as a QB coach? We also have Philip Montgomery and Kent Austin as well that will play a huge part in QB development. I haven't looked to see who Gundy has with him to teach their QB's. 

Mason Rudolph is the only notable QB that comes to mind when I think of Gundy…not sure I’ve ever considered him particularly strong with QBs?   Maybe I’m missing someone but his OSU QBs aside from Rudolph and Sanders just don’t stand out to me. 

With that being said when you look at the past QBs including RGIII, Malik Willis, Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace,  Bryce Petty, Nick Florence, Case Keenum….between Freeze/Austin and Montgomery it seems they definitely have had more success developing more of the known QBs in CFB during their tenures so I’d give them a definite edge over Gundy in that department. 

4 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Where are the LBs????

It seems some of these secondary guys are going to be used as a hybrid linebacker. I am just guessing based on all the secondary guys being grabbed 

Just now, e808 said:

It seems some of these secondary guys are going to be used as a hybrid linebacker. I am just guessing based on all the secondary guys being grabbed 

That makes sense, but still seems like we could use a couple of guys in the middle. 

6 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Where are the LBs????

We are apparently looking good for DeMario Tolan from LSU, he’d be a really big get for us since he’s a 2022 recruit.  Auburn was a favorite during his HS recruiting and was his first visit when he hit the portal. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

We are apparently looking good for DeMario Tolan from LSU, he’d be a really big get for us since he’s a 2022 recruit.  Auburn was a favorite during his HS recruiting and was his first visit when he hit the portal. 

Yep. He would be a huge pickup with great upside IMO. Really wanted him out of HS

10 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Where are the LBs????

@Browning4AU Only taking 1 or 2 since we have some on roster & won't have more than 2 true LBs on the field at the same time often.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Thinking we are about to get another one…..Reed just released the bat signal. 

Awesome, third one of the day. Really hoping for a high quality IOL or LB

5 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Awesome, third one of the day. Really hoping for a high quality IOL or LB

Hoping Tolan or Sanders.  Or both.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Thinking we are about to get another one…..Reed just released the bat signal. 

Bat 🦇 signals and Yahtzees 🎲 always feel good these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Bat 🦇 signals and Yahtzees 🎲 always feel good these days. 

It is also hilarious that Twitter is a better/faster source of info than any pay site or "insider board" 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

It is also hilarious that Twitter is a better/faster source of info than any pay site or "insider board" 

And that’s why I quit the pay sites. 😀

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

3 sets of eyes, 3 more commits?

I haven’t seen any relationship between the number of commits and the number of eye emojis Trovon posts.  

Sometimes he posts like 10 of them 😂

• Haha 1

If we could go into Monday with Wake Edge, LSU LB, OSU QB, Baylor OL, and ideally GA States WR locked up and committed....I don't think anyone could expect a better portal class.

Everything else would icing on the cake.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

If we could go into Monday with Wake Edge, LSU LB, OSU QB, Baylor OL, and ideally GA States WR....I don't think anyone could expect a better portal class.

I approve of this sentiment! WDE!!

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Browning4AU Only taking 1 or 2 since we have some on roster & won't have more than 2 true LBs on the field at the same time often.

I'm really just thinking about talent vs. depth. There's nothing from last season that leads me to believe there's great talent in that room.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Browning4AU said:

I'm really just thinking about talent vs. depth. There's nothing from last season that leads me to believe there's great talent in that room.  

Great talent?  no we don't have great talent.  But we do have enough talented players that, with proper coaching and with the desire and attitude they displayed over the last 4 games, we can win some games.  We're going to be better than we have been the past 3 or 4 years.  No doubt about it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

If we could go into Monday with Wake Edge, LSU LB, OSU QB, Baylor OL, and ideally GA States WR locked up and committed....I don't think anyone could expect a better portal class.

image.gif

• Thanks 1