Shooting in general

JuscAUse!

I have followed basketball for most of my six decades of life. I have lived through changes in the game and don't have a lot of problems with the changes that have been made. The 3 point line allowed me to play in rec ball well into my 40s. I couldn't stand the slow down,  old man ball after my knee blew out , so I just shoot around now. I said that to say this: shooting in this game is abysmal nation wide, and with the exception of a handful of AU players in the last 2 decades, worse at my school. I was in sales all may life so I understand "analytics" . If you can't shoot 36 or whatever percentage that I'm not looking up right now, what the hell is the point in shooting 3s? 3 is definitely better than 2 , but 2 is a helluva lot better than 0. Oscar Robinson would average 28 points a game in today's game never shooting a 3. Educate me if I'm wrong, but a 10 footer was money in the late 70s and 80s, and the defense knew it. Can no player make those anymore?

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I have followed basketball for most of my six decades of life. I have lived through changes in the game and don't have a lot of problems with the changes that have been made. The 3 point line allowed me to play in rec ball well into my 40s. I couldn't stand the slow down,  old man ball after my knee blew out , so I just shoot around now. I said that to say this: shooting in this game is abysmal nation wide, and with the exception of a handful of AU players in the last 2 decades, worse at my school. I was in sales all may life so I understand "analytics" . If you can't shoot 36 or whatever percentage that I'm not looking up right now, what the hell is the point in shooting 3s? 3 is definitely better than 2 , but 2 is a helluva lot better than 0. Oscar Robinson would average 28 points a game in today's game never shooting a 3. Educate me if I'm wrong, but a 10 footer was money in the late 70s and 80s, and the defense knew it. Can no player make those anymore?

I agree. Some points are better than no points. See Demar Derozan 

• Like 1

There is no such thing as "Shooting In General." Shooting is 100% specific. It goes in the basket or it doesn't.

Enough said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AURex said:

There is no such thing as "Shooting In General." Shooting is 100% specific. It goes in the basket or it doesn't.

Enough said.

Thanks for those wonderful words of wisdom. I will sleep better having read them. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Haha 2

There’s a reason the average nba guard is 6’4”with long arms. Defense and a threat around the rim. We sacrifice this theoretically for pure quickness and superior perimeter shooting (ie trae young logic). 

If we can’t shoot at  an elite level  and aren’t especially quick, we’re just … pointlessly small, and not built right for the inside 2 pt game.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

Thanks for those wonderful words of wisdom. I will sleep better from having read them. 

I was simply distilling your post to a single brief point.

But it would be useful if you supported your point with some actual "analytics" since you are referring to "analytics."

Is shooting percentage better or worse in recent years than in the past, as you claim? I.E., Is shooting percentage in college basketball better or worse than in the past?

If you are going to proclaim how wonderful the past was compared to today, give us some stats -- not one guy who shot good back in the day and some guys today who don't.

How about some real stats.  Shooting percentage of college teams back then (whenever you think was the golden age) from 2 or 3 vs shooting percentage of modern college teams from 2 and 3.

Don't just throw out random stuff like how college teams shot better in the 70s and 80s.

I'm not disputing you because I haven't looked at any stats. I would just like you to give some actual evidence to support your claim.

42 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

There’s a reason the average nba guard is 6’4”with long arms. Defense and a threat around the rim. We sacrifice this theoretically for pure quickness and superior perimeter shooting (ie trae young logic). 

If we can’t shoot at  an elite level  and aren’t especially quick, we’re just … pointlessly small, and not built right for the inside 2 pt game.

Fair point.

43 minutes ago, AURex said:

I was simply distilling your post to a single brief point.

But it would be useful if you supported your point with some actual "analytics" since you are referring to "analytics."

Is shooting percentage better or worse in recent years than in the past, as you claim? I.E., Is shooting percentage in college basketball better or worse than in the past?

If you are going to proclaim how wonderful the past was compared to today, give us some stats -- not one guy who shot good back in the day and some guys today who don't.

How about some real stats.  Shooting percentage of college teams back then (whenever you think was the golden age) from 2 or 3 vs shooting percentage of modern college teams from 2 and 3.

Don't just throw out random stuff like how college teams shot better in the 70s and 80s.

I'm not disputing you because I haven't looked at any stats. I would just like you to give some actual evidence to support your claim.

I said what I said. If you don't like it, that's fine. I'm gonna go work on that sleep thing now. 

• Like 1

It's sad to say. Johni Broome is lacking help side defense. We lost our best 3pt shooter Jabari Smith. I'm not really sure what can fix this team this year. 

• Like 1

The three point shot has changed the game in that a player who can shoot 36% or above from 3 is a true asset but the really good teams have players who can score inside, mid-range and and outside and ideally a player who can do all three plus play D (Definition of a superstar). We have some talent on this years team. Flan caught the ball in the key last night did a jab step to left then did a sweet jump shot it was all natural it was not forced it was beautiful he should be doing more of that. Flan tries to do to much which is where he gets in trouble he has potential to be a really good supporting player. Jaylin usually has a nice touch down low and scores at a high percentage last night was an aberration. Broome is good down low but should be better.  Moore usually shoots at a high percentage by knowing what his limits are he should actually shoot more.

Our biggest issue is at guard shooting to many 3's and hitting at very low percentage and to many bad passes across the board from most of our players. Last year Green in addition to driving to basket and shooting 3's did a drive and pull up for a mid range jumper he seems to have abandoned that this year which is sad as he was around 50% on that shot last year. Especially with our guards being short teams have figured out that staying close outside to make it contested 3 and if small guard drives funnel him inside where his shot can be blocked or contested. A pull up jumper or a tear drop in the lane is the solution for a short guard who has a big guard covering him tightly. 

• Like 2

Agree. This system worked with Harper and Brown, but the undersized guards we have now don't have the shooting talent of Harper, much less Brown.

Bruce needs to focus on finding real shooters at the guard position or transition to bigger guards.

• Like 2

This formula of small guard play Bruce has is not sustainable long-term. It'll work every now and then, but when none of them can shoot, its a recipe for disaster. We're lucky we can play defense, or we'd have a lot more losses on our record. 

• Like 1

Sharife C failed very quickly in the nba for 2 reasons (even though he is an amazing passer) - small and cant reliably hit three’s. The violent truth is that that combination isn’t survivable if a team wants to be elite. Height, quickness, strength, and athleticism will forgive sometimes - but if you’re a small guard, you HAVE to be a threat outside (a special skill). Or it’s time for a new sport.

• Like 3

I could post the same thing I have posted for the last 6 weeks

- we can’t shoot and there is nobody on the roster that can bail us out 

- we take too may 3s for a team that can’t shoot

- there is no rhythm to the offense at all. Players are stagnant and it is all 1v1. Reminds me of late last year 

- teams know that our only way to score is in transition so they get back and play defense now

- we turn the ball over a ton and miss free throws 

- our defense has regressed, which is all we had to start the season 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 1

We had 2 dominant front court players go in the nba first round and are both excelling there. Extraordinary - should have been minimally a second weekend NCAA team. Instead we got spanked by Miami early in the tournament. It’s a guard-centric sport now. Same core guards last year, this year, and will be next .  This can only be partially schemed away (at best). And without a getting shooting-hot miracle, it’s a personnel issue that has to be addressed off season.

Edited by auburnatl1