Senator John Kennedy is a Gem

I_M4_AU

17 minutes ago, aubobo said:

That is indeed "quite possible."  What metrics would you use to move beyond conjecture, though?  If an increase in tax revenue isn't sufficient to say that the tax cuts were successful or not, what is your measuring stick? What is interesting is that between 2015 and 2018 overall tax receipts (inflation adjusted) were trending downward from 4.05T to 3.91T.  They started to rise in 2019 (4.0T), coincidentally after the TCJA passed, slumped in 2020 (COVID) and then after 2020 saw a dramatic increase to 4.9T.  In the last two years we have seen a nearly 25% increase in revenue.  I think it's reasonable to make the argument that cutting taxes at the individual level can increase the pie and create more revenue. 

What is amazing to me is that even with a 25% increase in revenue we are still increasing deficits.  Spending has increased by more than 25%.  Let me be clear: the Trump administration did this country no favors with regard to spending control.  But the Biden administration isn't really doing any better. 

I am not an economist, but I know a (overly) simple cause/effect conclusion when applied to a very complex problem (our economy), when I see it.  There were major economic events independent of the tax cut that were happening concurrently.

I am not saying there's no "supply side" or stimulus component involved, but if that was the goal It seems that to me that Trump should have skewed his cuts more toward the middle class - who are most likely to interject it back into the economy - than the wealthy.

As for the corporate tax, I don't think corporations should pay an income tax at all.  (Unlike the SCOTUS, I don't think money is speech, nor corporations are people.) Income tax should be levied on company profits only when they are disbursed to shareholders.  Of course that would require a major overhaul of tax law.

(Incidentally, pretty much every article I've looked at regarding the effects of Trump's tax cuts are politically biased.  If you have an objective source of analysis to suggest, I'm all ears.)

16 hours ago, homersapien said:

Income tax should be levied on company profits only when they are disbursed to shareholders. 

I agree with this. The problem is that shareholders (at least those with more money than me) will not take the earnings and just keep them in the company.  Then they will borrow against the asset value, thus creating "tax free income."  
BTW, if you look at most valuation models w/ re to corporate stocks, the corporate tax is a contributing factor.  This is why the current corporate tax is in reality a double taxation (taxed in the value of the asset, then taxed on any gains at withdrawal).

Also, I agree with your statement about simple solutions to complex situations.  Just to say "tax rate decreases will cause a decrease in revenue is overly simplistic in itself."  The numbers I posted show that this is not always the case.  Revenues have definitely risen.  Whether this is despite or because of the TCJA we can't know for sure.  I'm more concerned with the spending side of this under every administration (sans a couple of years of President Clinton) in my lifetime.  25% increase and still a deficit, smh. 

Finally, I commiserate with you on searching for unbiased analysis.  That's why I cited the Department of the Treasury.  These aren't projections like Brookings and the CRFB.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is this how they want to characterize it all now?  How convenient.  Strangely enough, they didn't have a problem with getting out of the hell hole when Trump first scheduled and announced the date.

Square this with Kennedy's Captain Obvious remarks about the national debt.  I suppose another trillion to the debt is nothing as long as it is for military spending.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Is this how they want to characterize it all now?  How convenient.  Strangely enough, they didn't have a problem with getting out of the hell hole when Trump first scheduled and announced the date.

Square this with Kennedy's Captain Obvious remarks about the national debt.  I suppose another trillion to the debt is nothing as long as it is for military spending.

Of course the issue wasn‘t getting out as much as how Biden did it. To blame Trump for Biden’s incompetence is revisionist history and it only took a year and a half.

A country needs to spend money, but it should be to enhance the nation.  Stuff like college debt relief does nothing but fuel inflation.

9 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Of course the issue wasn‘t getting out as much as how Biden did it. To blame Trump for Biden’s incompetence is revisionist history and it only took a year and a half.

A country needs to spend money, but it should be to enhance the nation.  Stuff like college debt relief does nothing but fuel inflation.

That is rich.... Education doesn't enhance a nation, but funding military bases around the globe and subsidizing everyone from Wall Street to Pratt & Whitney makes us better by the minute?  Imagine if people could actually afford to be sick in this country.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:03 PM, Son of A Tiger said:

I like Sen. Kennedy. He is a very educated guy with a sense of humor.

Well, Clown School for Dummies isn't saying too much.

Then again, you probably think Billy Graham was a well-educated theologian and had a very good grasp of the Gospel...

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

.. Education doesn't enhance a nation,

Biden's student debt forgiveness plan isn't about education. It's about making a carpenter pay for his banker's college loans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

39 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Biden is responsible for the withdrawal of troops.  Trump is responsible for the "surrender".

This is a ridiculous statement.  Trump said he would get out of Afghanistan and had his plan, but he can’t be responsible if he actually had no hand in the actual *surrender*.  Biden, when he took over, reversed most every policy Trump had instituted.  To now blame Trump because made the deal with the Taliban is just another example of the weakness Joe displays to the world.

He has surrendered America’s energy independence, America’s leadership of the Free World and is about to surrender the US dollar as the world’s reserve currency.  Somehow Biden will blame Trump for all of it.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is a ridiculous statement.  Trump said he would get out of Afghanistan and had his plan, but he can’t be responsible if he actually had no hand in the actual *surrender*.  Biden, when he took over, reversed most every policy Trump had instituted.  To now blame Trump because made the deal with the Taliban is just another example of the weakness Joe displays to the world.

He has surrendered America’s energy independence, America’s leadership of the Free World and is about to surrender the US dollar as the world’s reserve currency.  Somehow Biden will blame Trump for all of it.

Believe that if you will but,,, the negotiations with the Taliban occurred during the Trump administration.

You do realize how incredibly one sided your political views are, don't you?   Is that remotely logical, realistic?  Have you studied our history?  Do you understand where power resides in our country, how concentrated that power has become?

Blaming the powerless is the errand of the useful idiot.

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Believe that if you will but,,, the negotiations with the Taliban occurred during the Trump administration.

So, when Biden took over the Presidency he was so weak that he just accepted the negotiations made by Trump without putting his own stamp on this withdrawal he was so anxious to accomplish?  He rolled over to the Trump negotiations on the ONE thing?  Do you really believe that?  Trump was going to be out BEFORE the end of Ramadan and BEFORE the fight period in that part of the world.

Biden wanted to be out before 9-11 for the optics and that cost 13 Marines their lives.  

11 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You do realize how incredibly one sided your political views are, don't you? 

Yes, I do and it’s because Joe is wrong for America in most everything he does and I can’t wait until he is out of office.  I do hope whoever occupies the most powerful office in our government is more centric in their ideals.

15 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Blaming the powerless is the errand of the useful idiot.

This I agree with.  Biden blaming Trump, who was powerless in the decision making of the withdrawal, is making you a useful idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Biden's student debt forgiveness plan isn't about education. It's about making a carpenter pay for his banker's college loans.

That is just a tunnel vision way of looking at that.  First, we aren't even talking about forgiving all loans.  The amount isn't outlandish.  Everyone benefits when they aren't being held down by debt and can see light at the end of the tunnel.  You know who really benefits from student loans?  Schools like Auburn and bama and Samford.  Private schools get a lot of attention for their use of the money, but public schools have used the loan programs to really shove it to students and increase their tuition rates.  This supplements the money from taxpayers in the State that fund public schools.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, when Biden took over the Presidency he was so weak that he just accepted the negotiations made by Trump without putting his own stamp on this withdrawal he was so anxious to accomplish?  He rolled over to the Trump negotiations on the ONE thing?  Do you really believe that?  Trump was going to be out BEFORE the end of Ramadan and BEFORE the fight period in that part of the world.

Biden wanted to be out before 9-11 for the optics and that cost 13 Marines their lives.  

Yes, I do and it’s because Joe is wrong for America in most everything he does and I can’t wait until he is out of office.  I do hope whoever occupies the most powerful office in our government is more centric in their ideals.

This I agree with.  Biden blaming Trump, who was powerless in the decision making of the withdrawal, is making you a useful idiot.

I was never a huge Biden fan, but the more the far right labels the man whatever suits their needs for the day, the more favorable I see him.  Trump has captured the minds of the Rupublican party.  You all seem to have this incredible need to call names and belittle someone regardless of what the situation is.  It isn't enough to complain about a bad decision.  You have to complain about the "senile Biden" or some other simple minded, easily remembered slogan. 

There are a few Republicans that likely would be better Presidents than Biden.  However, we have seen what Trump does as President.  Therefore, how anyone can argue that he would be better defies logic.

• Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That is just a tunnel vision way of looking at that.  First, we aren't even talking about forgiving all loans.  The amount isn't outlandish.  Everyone benefits when they aren't being held down by debt and can see light at the end of the tunnel.  You know who really benefits from student loans?  Schools like Auburn and bama and Samford.  Private schools get a lot of attention for their use of the money, but public schools have used the loan programs to really shove it to students and increase their tuition rates.  This supplements the money from taxpayers in the State that fund public schools.

I was stupid and paid my student loans off. I was HELD DOWN! I'm a VICTIM because I repaid a loan that I agreed to repay. WAAAH!

Do I now get a refund? If slackers and welshers are getting $10,000 shouldn't I get $10,000 too? Repaying student loans requires sacrifice. Doing things one agreed to do often requires sacrifice as well. People who borrowed irresponsibly should be made to repay. It's a lesson that will serve them well throughout life.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I was never a huge Biden fan, but the more the far right labels the man whatever suits their needs for the day, the more favorable I see him. 

This is exactly how most Republicans felt while the left (not the far left) labeled Trump a Russian asset and any other label they came up with for the first two years of Trumps administration.  So, I guess you understand how people can sympathize with the persecuted.  

13 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

You all seem to have this incredible need to call names and belittle someone regardless of what the situation is. 

I wonder where we got that idea?  Was it Trump or the media tearing him down at every occasion they could.

16 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

There are a few Republicans that likely would be better Presidents than Biden.  However, we have seen what Trump does as President.  Therefore, how anyone can argue that he would be better defies logic.

Trump was not weak and exuded that in his personality.  When faced with the withdrawal of Afghanistan, I have no doubt it would have ended better that what Biden was able to achieve.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I wonder where we got that idea?  Was it Trump or the media tearing him down at every occasion they could.

It is 100% Trump. Look at his all his debates going back to 2016. No talks about politics, just straight belittle and talk down to. You could even go back to his The Apprentice days and it's the exact same thing.

In my opinion, the constant need to belittle someone does not show "strength." To me it shows a massive weakness that they are not confident in themselves and have to belittle everyone else to make them feel better about themselves. 

2 minutes ago, arein0 said:

It is 100% Trump. Look at his all his debates going back to 2016. No talks about politics, just straight belittle and talk down to. You could even go back to his The Apprentice days and it's the exact same thing.

In my opinion, the constant need to belittle someone does not show "strength." To me it shows a massive weakness that they are not confident in themselves and have to belittle everyone else to make them feel better about themselves. 

I don’t disagree and the biggest reason I wish he would just fade away.  The media (and the Democratic Party) would be ecstatic if he won the Republican nomination and (it seems) are doing everything they can to see it happen to the detriment of America.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

The media (and the Democratic Party) would be ecstatic if he won the Republican nomination and (it seems) are doing everything they can to see it happen to the detriment of America.

I would think it is pretty split. Some would want him to win because they think it would be an easy win. I don't want him to run because he is only a cancer to our country and I don't want the off chance that he could be president again.

15 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Does that apply to posters here?

12 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I would think it is pretty split. Some would want him to win because they think it would be an easy win. I don't want him to run because he is only a cancer to our country and I don't want the off chance that he could be president again.

That’s the gamble and it’s high stakes poker.  His followers just want the chance.  If Biden runs, Trump will be ruthless in the debates.  Biden won’t be able to hide and it will be ugly.  It will show the worst of American politics.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I was stupid and paid my student loans off. I was HELD DOWN! I'm a VICTIM because I repaid a loan that I agreed to repay. WAAAH!

Do I now get a refund? If slackers and welshers are getting $10,000 shouldn't I get $10,000 too? Repaying student loans requires sacrifice. Doing things one agreed to do often requires sacrifice as well. People who borrowed irresponsibly should be made to repay. It's a lesson that will serve them well throughout life.

That is a ridiculous argument.  Nobody claimed to be a victim, but why do you need to be so bitter about someone that is less fortunate than yourself getting a little help to get them out of a bad situation?  Will keeping them in a no win situation really teach them anything?  We don't have debtor's prisons and will never have them.  Therefore, we can try to get them on their feet or allow them to default.  Which one makes more sense?

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

That’s the gamble and it’s high stakes poker.  His followers just want the chance.  If Biden runs, Trump will be ruthless in the debates.  Biden won’t be able to hide and it will be ugly.  It will show the worst of American politics.

Trump may very well come across like a mad man.  Biden will look at him and laugh.  You have bought into this fake narrative that Biden is somehow not mentally capable of handling himself.  That didn't pan out during the last debate between himself and Trump.  Biden wouldn't be the person most Americans want in the White House, but when the choice is an unhinged Trump or Biden, Biden will AGAIN win that race.

Of  course, the main difference is that if Trump did win, Biden won't allege that the elections was stolen like a spoiled child and lie to the world.  That is a Fox and Trump specialty.  I have a hard time with anyone that still pushes that BS calling themselves a patriotic American.  What they are is a self serving child.

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is exactly how most Republicans felt while the left (not the far left) labeled Trump a Russian asset and any other label they came up with for the first two years of Trumps administration.  So, I guess you understand how people can sympathize with the persecuted.  

Trump was not weak and exuded that in his personality.  When faced with the withdrawal of Afghanistan, I have no doubt it would have ended better that what Biden was able to achieve.

Insecurity is a sign of weakness.  Trump is the most insecure President I have ever seen. 

• Facepalm 1