Men vs WVU Game Thread

Maverick.AU

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

We crushed it with Broome in the portal but damn do we need some better guards

I’ve said it before … we go as Broome goes.  He, and we, had a bad first half.  He scored 15 second half points and we ended with a chance to tie at the end.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agreed. This is a very overrated team. Won’t be long and BP can kiss that being ranked streak goodbye. 

Judging by how the polls have been ranking Auburn I will be surprised if they are still ranked next week. As of now they are probably still in the tournament 

8 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’ve said it before … we go as Broome goes.  He, and we, had a bad first half.  He scored 15 second half points and we ended with a chance to tie at the end.

This . Nailed it . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Good take, to me

11 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Still poor shot selection, guard play, and right now intensity. Always 3 shots behind the opponent. 

I genuinely agree. There just seems to be no urgency until the game outcome  is hanging critically on being a loss. It really has been that way during a great deal of last year and this year.

If we have capable players then I lay this at CBP feet. Without dead-eye shooters, the team needs a floor leader that can keep them in intensity mode from start to finish.

Just a frustrated fan here. Hate being critical but am not enjoying seeing AU Basketball sliding right now.

Edited by au701948
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

I genuinely agree. There just seems to be no urgency until the game outcome  is hanging critically on being a loss. It really has been that way during a great deal of last year and this year.

If we have capable players then I lay this at CBP feet. Without dead-eye shooters, the team needs a floor leader that can keep them in intensity mode from start to finish.

Just a frustrated fan here. Hate being critical but am not enjoying seeing AU Basketball sliding right now.

I agree. AU is missing a clear alpha. Broome is the leading scorer but not the leader. KD is flat this year. AU does not have enough scorers 

9 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Its true but it wouldn't have to be if we had decent guards.

Yep

but unfortunately I think it’s who we are. The way I see it … we have 2 variables.  Steady play with a moderate amount of stats from Moore which we haven’t had the last few games and we need stellar play from Broome.  If he makes a couple of those bunnies at the beginning of the game I wonder what that would have done for his confidence and the first half in general. 

I think we win just enough to make the dance and be a 10-12 seed...We def. Have some losses coming up..  Bottom Heavy Schedule

Just super disappointed with this team in general. Oh and we are past the “back in the day we were so bad we would have been fortunate to complain like this” stuff. Bruce has elevated this program to the point were most of us are fine with calling a spade a spade and it’s super obvious this year. Let’s win some games, make the tournament, and then do some dang recruiting to fix these issues. WDE. 

Edited by NoALtiger
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Its true but it wouldn't have to be if we had decent guards.

And whose fault is that?

Bruce either can't identify good guards or he can't develop them.

I am thankful for where Bruce has brought the program, but this type of regression in a year is quite disconcerting...

Imagine where Auburn would have been last seaon with decent guard play...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

And whose fault is that?

I am thankful for where Bruce has brought the program, but this type of regression in a year is quite disconcerting...

Sharif and Scoot were identified and both good. Wendell, Zep and KD are the backup plans that haven’t taken it to the level we hoped. 

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Sharif and Scoot were identified and both good. Wendell, Zep and KD are the backup plans that haven’t taken it to the level we hoped. 

You can say that again.

Man so many people are starting to sound like Cole.....

Green wasn't on today. Here's the thing though, the thing I feel like our guards don't do. If the offense isn't going effect the game in other ways. Start being a great facilitator. Make it up in your mind to get stops. 

One of our guards should have said their guard that got all those points was going to work super hard to get his...This West Virginia team upsetted tcu too.

I'm not saying we are winning a title or anything but I just think some of you are too hard on the team. If any of you were thinking we were going to be a top ten team this year after losing what we lost....I just feel you set your own self up to be disappointed. I mean he's a good coach but he's not a miracle worker

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bruce was the man to build excitement in a program that had none. Bruce was the man to put together some pieces and motivate it beyond its norm. Bruce is the man to get Auburn regularly to the playoffs and make them a top competitor in the SEC. Now Bruce has to be the man to build something new that's all his. That's a tough thing to do and maybe he needs some changes on staff, I don't know. We look disturbingly unfocused and sloppy too often this season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man so many people are starting to sound like Cole.....

Green wasn't on today. Here's the thing though, the thing I feel like our guards don't do. If the offense isn't going effect the game in other ways. Start being a great facilitator. Make it up in your mind to get stops. 

One of our guards should have said their guard that got all those points was going to work super hard to get his...This West Virginia team upsetted tcu too.

I'm not saying we are winning a title or anything but I just think some of you are too hard on the team. If any of you were thinking we were going to be a top ten team this year after losing what we lost....I just feel you set your own self up to be disappointed. I mean he's a good coach but he's not a miracle worker

I just feel this team is at least a 12 loss team

I have NEVER seen a team that is as disinterested in playing a game as this bunch.

And our runt guards suck

The make up of this team is on Bruce

Edited by 1716AU
  • Like 1

If we had scoot last year we win a title. No question. Scoot is the best guard we would've ever signed here. Hell I think we may have won it if we would've had Mark. 

Mark is the only thing I can blame Pearl of. As far as what he's working with as far as what he has right now....what can be really do?

• Thanks 1

Just now, 1716AU said:

I have NEVER seen a team that is as disinterested in playing a game as this bunch.

And our runt guards suck

I'm not going to say they suck, but if they aren't hot scoring....what really can they do? Zep can defend. Green should be able to facilitate. I've seen flashes but I don't think he can see how much he can help being that....I guess I can blame Bruce for that too, but for all I know he has communicated that to green

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If we had scoot last year we win a title. No question. Scoot is the best guard we would've ever signed here. Hell I think we may have won it if we would've had Mark. 

Mark is the only thing I can blame Pearl of. As far as what he's working with as far as what he has right now....what can be really do?

Recognize that in the offseason he needs to recruit guards that are good enough to facilitate and shoot and give a couple their walking papers

These "kids" get paid now.  Time to get over the kid gloves and expect more

But I agree with you on Scoot.  But Bruce is the reason that we have the guard play that we do.

Maybe less politics and more coaching and recruiting...?

Edited by 1716AU

52 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

And whose fault is that?

Bruce got screwed when Auburn would not let Desi Sills from Arkansas enroll.  When word got out Desi was coming to AU, a 5 star guard that Bruce felt was coming went elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Recognize that in the offseason he needs to recruit guards that are good enough to facilitate and shoot and give a couple their walking papers

These "kids" get paid now.  Time to get over the kid gloves and expect more

But I agree with you on Scoot.  But Bruce is the reason that we have the guard play that we do.

Maybe less politics and more coaching and recruiting...?

I agree with that. I don't agree with the walking papers part but we can absolutely do a better job identifying talent,v especially in state talent. That's my gripe with Mark...but it happens all time in one sense look at ja morant but damn we did it twice! While knowing we didn't have a true point.....That's mind boggling

36 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

And our runt guards suck

The make up of this team is on Bruce

100%

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

OK, but then why not go and target transfer guards the next off season? Did Bruce not see what the rest of us saw in regards to guard play at the back half of last year?

• Like 1