Men vs WVU Game Thread

Maverick.AU

22 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Message boards will be message boards. I didn't know enough about Sears at that time to have an informed opinion but it seems pretty clear now. What matters is the coaches didn't see it, either.

So I am trying to understand why Sesrs is so much better than Green. Sears avg 14 pts per game and 2.7 assists. Green avg 13.7 pts per game and 4.3 assists and Sears avg playing 5 minutes more per game. I don’t see the difference 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

So I am trying to understand why Sesrs is so much better than Green. Sears avg 14 pts per game and 2.7 assists. Green avg 13.7 pts per game and 4.3 assists and Sears avg playing 5 minutes more per game. I don’t see the difference 

The numbers don’t always paint the entire picture. Watch his highlights when u get a chance

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, e808 said:

The numbers don’t always paint the entire picture. Watch his highlights when u get a chance

I have watched Green plenty. Not crazy about his end of half and end of game playing.. haven’t watched Sears but highlights is just a small snippet. The tangible measurables are basically the same. Evidently there must be some intangible that makes Sears more desirable. What are those?

Mark  plays the 2 guard for them more than point. Mark shoots better. Mark plays defense. Mark steps up in big games. Mark usually matches up on the team's best guard. 

This is also Mark's first time playing with this group. 

Mark doesn't freeze up at the end of games. Mark is actually more of a pass first player. He's playing outside of his game because they want him to shoot. If he played at Auburn in Bruce's offense he'd play more of his natural position I'd imagine. 

Mark gets to the free throw line as opposed to shooting a bunch of long 3's. Mark rebounds well which enables to push tempo, that would work out well in Bruce's offense. Mark turns the ball over less

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I have watched Green plenty. Not crazy about his end of half and end of game playing.. haven’t watched Sears but highlights is just a small snippet. The tangible measurables are basically the same. Evidently there must be some intangible that makes Sears more desirable. What are those?

I love Wendell, he’s at best a 3rd option player at a major D1. He’s small with average quickness, he can shoot but it’s hard for him to get his shot off. Defense major liability even with his great steal average per game. To many turnovers for a small guard. Let’s go team War Eagle. Don’t want anyone fired but I blame coaching for the player make up of this team. Guard play has been a huge issue since Harper/Brown. Coop only half a season on a bad team. Coaching please figure out the best style of play for your team. War Eagle  ( 2025 must have Labaron Philon)

• Like 1

I'm just talking off what I see but I was wishing so bad we had went after Anthony black last summer.....I think he would excel under CBP

I feel like if we had come to him and told him it would be his team....that would have had to entice him

Edited by cole256

4 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Evidently there must be some intangible that makes Sears more desirable. What are those?

His biggest booster on this message board claims to be his cousin. That's the main intangible that causes him to be mentioned so much. Otherwise, your statistical comparisons are accurate.

I've never said he was my cousin, but I know why you hate him so much though. If only he was as talented as your boy....then he could really go places. 

I'm sure everybody looks forward to your insightful posts in the future. I sure do. The way you make stuff up now I don't know if you lie to just lie or are you senile. I don't know if I can be angry at you or not

Edited by cole256

14 hours ago, Tiger said:

He wasn't old enough to spend only one year in college. It's why he's doing 2 years in the G League 

Ahhh. Ok got you

12 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Sears is playing with a much better surrounding team.  More scorers etc. AU is in need of a shooting guard who can put the ball in the hole.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I've never said he was my cousin

I am pretty sure you have at least insinuated he was your cousin.  I don't think that's a bad thing though.  If he is your family, hype him up!

Peter Konz, four-year center for Wisconsin under Belima and starter for the Falcons as the 55th pick in the 2012 draft before he tore his knee up, is my cousin.  I am proud of him just like you rightfully are of Mark.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am pretty sure you have at least insinuated he was your cousin.  I don't think that's a bad thing though.  If he is your family, hype him up!

Peter Konz, four-year center for Wisconsin under Belima and starter for the Falcons as the 55th pick in the 2012 draft before he tore his knee up, is my cousin.  I am proud of him just like you rightfully are of Mark.

I have not. Congrats on your cousin though. I wouldn't say anybody is my cousin that's not my cousin. I don't insinuate things either I just say them

I know you always mean well but stuff like this....

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

I have watched a few of the bama games this year. Here is why I think Sears is a better than Green. On defense he does not reach as often and moves his feet instead so is not beat on the dribble as often. Seems to be a little quicker then Green but until I see them together I can't say that for sure.  Has a nice shot  and does not force it. He does what they need him to do if somebody is hot he finds ways to feed the hot player. He is a solid facilitator.  Don't get me wrong I think Green is a solid PG I am not as down on him as some are. Green gets trapped and turned over but that is not always on him that is team communication and other players making themselves available when he is trapped. Also I think he reaches on defense so much as we often get in scoring droughts and he goes for the steal and easy basket. Give Green a great SG like bama has and Green's game would probably look a lot better. 

I wanted Sears so we would have a great 1-2 punch at PG and at times playing both at the same time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have watched a few of the bama games this year. Here is why I think Sears is a better than Green. On defense he does not reach as often and moves his feet instead so is not beat on the dribble as often. Seems to be a little quicker then Green but until I see them together I can't say that for sure.  Has a nice shot  and does not force it. He does what they need him to do if somebody is hot he finds ways to feed the hot player. He is a solid facilitator.  Don't get me wrong I think Green is a solid PG I am not as down on him as some are. Green gets trapped and turned over but that is not always on him that is team communication and other players making themselves available when he is trapped. Also I think he reaches on defense so much as we often get in scoring droughts and he goes for the steal and easy basket. Give Green a great SG like bama has and Green's game would probably look a lot better. 

I wanted Sears so we would have a great 1-2 punch at PG and at times playing both at the same time.

Bruce's loyalty got in the way

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That's a great point. I remember coop would have to deal with not having another primary ball handler which is very limiting. I actually forgot to think about that variable, it's a little more frustrating to think about though that we were in this positron before.

We are simply not in a position to either turn away good guards or to miss on evaluating more than one guard. We rely too much on pace. Just like bammer. But one thing about that coach is he's going to keep himself surrounded by talented guards. 

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Do you still play or have you gotten too old?

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

cole has never said Mark was his cousin I can back that up. I believe he knows some members of his family. Mark is a member of the Sears family that is mostly from Russellville, Al. Colin and Kevin played football at Auburn and Arron played at UT

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I have a theory its' BP's loyalty that led to us going into this year without making a meaningful adjustment to our Guards overall. Perhaps some promise to them when they transfered in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

cole has never said Mark was his cousin I can back that up. I believe he knows some members of his family. Mark is a member of the Sears family that is mostly from Russellville, Al. Colin and Kevin played football at Auburn and Arron played at UT

Ah my mistake then.  My bad @cole256

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Do you still play or have you gotten too old?

I am 71 and I still play some. The difference is now I play just to play and not get to fat. It is sad when you get to old to be competitive. At one time I had wheels and could jump so was strong on defense, boarding and getting out on the break.  Didn't really play BBall till in college so never was a very good shot so I would fit right into this team. LOL

• Love 1

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

I have a theory its' BP's loyalty that led to us going into this year without making a meaningful adjustment to our Guards overall. Perhaps some promise to them when they transfered in.

Loyalty is a two edged sword. At the time he brought in Green and Zep we had lost Cooper who I and many thought would be here for at least two years and some other players we were recruiting had fallen through. We were in dire need for some PG's and these were the ones that we had a shot at.  He may have had to promise that to get them at that time. 

An honorable man makes a promise keeps it.  If he reneged on a promise the word would get out and that would hurt future recruiting.   It is easy with hindsight to say Pearl blew it by making a promise not to go to portal for another guard but it is possible he was in an untenable position.

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Loyalty is a two edged sword. At the time he brought in Green and Zep we had lost Cooper who I and many thought would be here for at least two years and some other players we were recruiting had fallen through. We were in dire need for some PG's and these were the ones that we had a shot at.  He may have had to promise that to get them at that time. 

An honorable man makes a promise keeps it.  If he reneged on a promise the word would get out and that would hurt future recruiting.   It is easy with hindsight to say Pearl blew it by making a promise not to go to portal for another guard but it is possible he was in an untenable position.

I get this. And if thats the situation I get why he is doing what he is. But thats a HUGE promise to make if thats what he did. Essentially almost no guard transfers for what, 3 years? They better work out. Seems thats all benefit to those players and not much to the team. I'd take a year of pain going with a lesser guard option than promise 3 years locked up with our current set. Thank 8lbs 5 oz. sweet baby Jesus for Aden Holloway at a minimum.

I guess Zep leaves at the end of this year. But if we have WG and KD playing major roles next year, get ready for an underperforming year that wastes what could be our last year with Broome.

Our offense hasn't been great, but our defense is what is mostly costing us games. We aren't built to win games when giving up 75+ points. Putting Moore in so soon after injury at the 4 of all spots is a strange move by CBP. He doesn't look healthy and hasn't attempted a shot in his two games back. Talk about disrupting an offense and defense that was starting to get momentum. I know CBP is working his butt off to find the right rotation, but this is not it. Hopefully we get right vs UGA and he finds a rotation to stick with down the stretch. 

• Like 2