2024 4* S Jayden Lewis decommits from AU

Sizzle

4-star CB Jayden Lewis decommits from Auburn

by:Chad Simmons•8 minutes•

Anniston (Ala.) School four-star cornerback Jayden Lewis took his name off the market back in early February by committing to Auburn.

The Tigers made the in-state star a priority and he was feeling the love from Hugh Freeze‘s staff. Things haven’t changed in that regard, but Lewis wants a chance to look at more schools before he makes a final decision. On Tuesday, he told On3 that he is decommitting from Auburn and reopening his recruitment.

“I feel like I shut my recruiting process down too early,” he said. “A lot more schools are still trying to talk and keep in communication with me, so I just wanted to step back and get a feel for more schools and find the best opportunity.”

Among those that have already been in contact are Tennessee, Louisville, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Oklahoma. He visited the Volunteers last weekend and currently has visits set up with each of the schools on that list, save for the Sooners who he has just started talking to.

The 5-foot-10, 165-pounder chose the Tigers over more than a dozen offers, some of whom have still pushed for him despite his commitment. A versatile defensive back who plays all over the field for Anniston, Lewis is a two-time state champion in track who has clocked at 10.5 seconds in the 100-meter dash. He also plans to be an early enrollee, signing in December before heading to the school he chooses in early January.

As a recruit, he is tabbed as the No. 345 overall prospect in the 2024 class, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He ranks as the nation’s No. 31 cornerback and the No. 19 prospect in the state of Alabama.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There's really no point in getting excited about anything recruiting wise until they walk on the field in an AU uniform.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I’m starting to get confused. We keep hearing how badly we need to upgrade talent and every highly rated recruit we lose we claim it’s no big deal, it was mutual thing. 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Jeffrey Lee at on3.com said last week to be expecting this. He confirmed today that Auburn informed Lewis on Monday that it would be best if they went their separate ways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

having a guy committed and "staff feeling good about a flip" are not one and the same.  none of this is concrete til something is signed in December.  i understand being cordial to a player, but unless you KNOW you have another pig in the pig pen, i wouldn't let one loose.  any maybe the staff does KNOW 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m starting to get confused. We keep hearing how badly we need to upgrade talent and every highly rated recruit we lose we claim it’s no big deal, it was mutual thing. 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

It's usually never mutual, more times than not a recruit just left us and people just start to cope and say he was "processed"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

It makes us all feel better to say it was mutual

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Mutual parting of ways. Staff feels good about KJ flipping

Oh boy…don’t like that at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It's literally what happened.  We initiated this.

I know, I posted as much... I was being sarcastic to my fellow posters who said it wasn't a mutual parting of ways or in this case initiated by AU. The school let the kid "decommit" to avoid a awkward situation 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It's usually never mutual, more times than not a recruit just left us and people just start to cope and say he was "processed"

It wasn't mutual.  We informed him.  But both because coaches are not allowed to comment on recruits before they sign their LOI and to allow the kid to "withdraw his name from consideration," he makes the announcement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Jeffrey Lee at on3.com said last week to be expecting this. He confirmed today that Auburn informed Lewis on Monday that it would be best if they went their separate ways. 

Slight correction:  Auburn informed Lewis last Monday that it would be best to part ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Mutual parting of ways. Staff feels good about KJ flipping

It's called this to avoid embarrassment to the kid

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

It wasn't mutual.  We informed him.  But both because coaches are not allowed to comment on recruits before they sign their LOI and to allow the kid to "withdraw his name from consideration," he makes the announcement.

This is believable; I saw him play in person against Andalusia, and he didn’t look impressive at all. He puts up good stats in their region because the competition is weak overall, but against good teams he disappears. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rophle said:

This is believable; I saw him play in person against Andalusia, and he didn’t look impressive at all. He puts up good stats in their region because the competition is weak overall, but against good teams he disappears. 

Andalusia's usually a killer vs most any opponent they face.  They neutralize opponents on the regular. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Andalusia's usually a killer vs most any opponent they face.  They neutralize opponents on the regular. 

Yep, they have a solid program.