Brock Vandagriff Predicted to Transfer to AU

aubiefifty

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

So is the staff confident that they’ll land someone from OOC?

If they're planning to take a transfer QB then it would seem so.

Hope we’re not looking back at McCall and asking “man, what if…?”

There's no what if. He couldn't qualify at that point.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If they're planning to take a transfer QB then it would seem so.

There's no what if. He couldn't qualify at that point.

I really don't see why wouldn't want to.

44 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I hope this news breaking didn't just torpedo our chances of landing him.

If you read the whole thread, you'll see that he will have to sit out a transfer year if he comes to another SEC school. I don't think he'd want to do that and Auburn needs help on the field this coming season, not another year down the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2023 at 9:54 AM, DAG said:

Some clarifications:

Baker Mayfield played well over several games at Texas Tech his freshman year. To say he had little experience is not true.

Cam Newton and Nick Marshall both had a full year of JUCO experience before heading to Auburn.

Ryan Mallett also had way more significant time than the two QBs mentioned in the article. Additionally, he sat all of 2008 and learned the system before starting in 2009.

Joe Burrow was absolutely not immediately successful as a starter when he transferred to LSU.

Also, there are not quite a few of QBs that transfer and were immediately successful. Those that you named are the exception. Actually, it is quite the opposite. 

Always chuckle at people who completely forget Burrow's first season happened 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2023 at 9:05 AM, DAG said:

We don’t need to backfill. We need immediate impact players

We probably need both, tbqh.  I don't know if we'll have any options for immediate impact players

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ken woolley said:

The question is can we get a quarterback from the portal that is better than what we already have. 

I'd go with highly doubtful 

• Like 1

Get a QB out of the portal.

We would and likely are. Just depends on if there is anyone who enters the portal Hugh wants. Right now he has only wanted McCall and Leary.

6 hours ago, ken woolley said:

The question is can we get a quarterback from the portal that is substantually better than what we already have. 

@ken woolleyFIFY. Hugh has already shown he's not taking someone he thinks may be a minor upgrade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I hope this news breaking didn't just torpedo our chances of landing him.

It's not news. It's just 1 fan's opinion. Having to sit a year is likely why we won't take or land him.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's not news. It's just 1 fan's opinion. Having to sit a year is likely why we won't take or land him.

I guess I am just cautious because of the Tony Mitchell situation.  I do find it confusing why he didn't actually try to transfer before the deadline.  His parents are Auburn alums and he LOVED Auburn, just hated Malzahn.  The only thing I can think of is if he has a great shot of winning the QB battle at UGA.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Always chuckle at people who completely forget Burrow's first season happened 

His stats weren’t greT for sure. But were better than anyone we have now.  133 rating.

25 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

His stats weren’t greT for sure. But we’re better than anyone we have now.  133 rating.

I guarantee you his stats would not look as good with the personnel we have. Go look at the players on both sides of the ball for him in his two years at LSU. And no that’s not a diss towards him. He is a great individual player now. But when he got there LSU stayed winning in spite of him.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

His stats weren’t greT for sure. But were better than anyone we have now.  133 rating.

Essentially what Box Nix was rated at.  Meh. Not very good.  Better than what we have, yes.  But he wasn't the super start with massive success the poster was trying to allude him to.

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

I guarantee you his stats would not look as good with the personnel we have. Go look at the players on both sides of the ball for him in his two years at LSU. And no that’s not a diss towards him. He is a great individual player now. But when he got there LSU stayed winning in spite of him.

Man U read my mind I was going to type something similar. It definitely wasn’t an apples to apples comparison. What LSU had compared to Auburn was night and day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

We would and likely are. Just depends on if there is anyone who enters the portal Hugh wants. Right now he has only wanted McCall and Leary.

Which is why I said McCall might end up being a painful “man, what if…?” If he had qualified I think we could very well be talking 9-4. As of right now my goal/expectation is 7 wins (incl. a bowl) and a top 12 recruiting class (if this were pre-portal times, I’d expect 4-8). If we can’t get one this year, we NEED to next year—give Heisenberg a year to get ready, since TF QBs rarely work.

Edited by AUwent

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I guess I am just cautious because of the Tony Mitchell situation.  I do find it confusing why he didn't actually try to transfer before the deadline.  His parents are Auburn alums and he LOVED Auburn, just hated Malzahn.  The only thing I can think of is if he has a great shot of winning the QB battle at UGA.

Or Hugh wasn't interested in taking him yet.

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Essentially what Box Nix was rated at.  Meh. Not very good.  Better than what we have, yes.  But he wasn't the super start with massive success the poster was trying to allude him to.

I never said nor alluded to massive success. All I said was success, which I will still stand by. I dont know how you can say winning a NY6 bowl and finishing top 10 is not a success.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, arein0 said:

I never said nor alluded to massive success. All I said was success, which I will still stand by. I dont know how you can say winning a NY6 bowl and finishing top 10 is not a success.

Bc he wasn't the sole reason for their success? The team was success, he wasn't very good.

We don't have the talent like LSU did to carry a 56% comp passer to a 10-3 season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Bc he wasn't the sole reason for their success? The team was success, he wasn't very good.

We don't have the talent like LSU did to carry a 56% comp passer to a 10-3 season

LSU is always loaded with talent though. The previous 4 years they didnt make 10 wins and last year was the first time they got 10 wins since he left. Sometimes being a successful QB is more than stats can show. Also you keep forgetting that he only had 5 turnovers that first year

3 hours ago, arein0 said:

LSU is always loaded with talent though. The previous 4 years they didnt make 10 wins and last year was the first time they got 10 wins since he left. Sometimes being a successful QB is more than stats can show. Also you keep forgetting that he only had 5 turnovers that first year

I hear what you are trying to say, but let's not Kidd ourselves, now you are just saving face. He was not that good his first year there. He was what we call "a game manager" and at that time that is all LSU needed. His stats that year, will do very little for an Auburn team rebuilding, which was the whole point of our discussion. In the context of what Auburn is doing, NOT A LOADED LSU team as you described.

It is the same argument with this UGA Kid who has never played a significant snap. Fans are so thirsty for a QB they would accept practically anybody. Then watch Hugh Freeze be patient and get "his" guy, then they will have the " I didn't say anything" face. If this kid is as good as some want to think he will have no problem starting for UGA. If he still can't start for UGA, that would be a major red flag for me, particularly since you do not have to be a high school all American to win at that place.

Edited by DAG

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I hear what you are trying to say, but let's not Kidd ourselves, now you are just saving face. He was not that good his first year there. He was what we call "a game manager" and at that time that is all LSU needed. His stats that year, will do very little for an Auburn team rebuilding, which was the whole point of our discussion. In the context of what Auburn is doing, NOT A LOADED LSU team as you described.

It is the same argument with this UGA Kid who has never played a significant snap. Fans are so thirsty for a QB they would accept practically anybody. Then watch Hugh Freeze be patient and get "his" guy, then they will have the " I didn't say anything" face. If this kid is as good as some want to think he will have no problem starting for UGA. If he still can't start for UGA, that would be a major red flag for me, particularly since you do not have to be a high school all American to win at that place.

It sounds to me when you say successful, you really mean elite. And those are not the same thing. You can be successful and not be elite. Just like you can be elite and not successful. Joe Burrow that first year was the perfect example of not elite but successful. For that LSU team he did what was needed to win games, which was be a game manager and not lose games by turning it over. Wouldn't you call that successful? 

For the elites that aren't successful, look at Josh Allen this year with the team they had. Even though he had an elite season, he wouldn't call it successful as they werent able to accomplish their attainable goals.