Brock Vandagriff Predicted to Transfer to AU

aubiefifty

flywareagle.com

B/R shockingly projects Auburn football rival’s quarterback to transfer to the Plains

Andrew Hughes
2–3 minutes

Bleacher Report's Brad Shepard shockingly projected a Georgia Bulldogs quarterback to join Auburn football via the transfer portal Mandatory Credit: Online Athens

Bleacher Report's Brad Shepard shockingly projected a Georgia Bulldogs quarterback to join Auburn football via the transfer portal Mandatory Credit: Online Athens

Bleacher Report’s Brad Shepard is projecting a shocking wild card to enter the Auburn football quarterback room: Georgia signal-caller Brock Vandagriff, who Shepard projects to lose out in the Bulldogs QB battle to Carson Beck.

AU did not add any of their transfer portal targets (Grayson McCall, Devin Leary, Brennan Armstrong) for one reason or another during this past recruiting cycle and Hugh Freeze has not been overly complimentary of the room since taking over. Perhaps poaching a passer in the spring is on the table if Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner — and possibly T.J. Finley, though analysts believe it may be time to give up on giving him snaps — don’t show a firm grasp of the offense.

Shepard believes Vandagriff’s time being coached by former UGA offensive coordinator and current Baltimore Ravens OC Todd Monken could help the QB overcome facing low-level high school competition to be an impact addition to the Tigers:

“Vandagriff is a 6’3″, 205-pound former 5-star from Bogart, Georgia, who didn’t play strong competition in high school and hasn’t broken through with UGA. But two years under offensive coordinator Todd Monken had to help. He may upgrade Auburn’s situation.”

B/R links Auburn football to Gunner Stockton as well

Shepard really likes the idea of a Georgia quarterback making his way to the Plains, projecting both Vandagriff and redshirt freshman Gunner Stockton to draw Auburn football transfer interest in the coming months.

AU pursued Stockton but ultimately lost out to UGA in January 2021. It doesn’t appear as though there’s an open path to snaps for both Beck and Vandagriff. While Vandagriff has at least seen the field, it’s likely that one of them will be squeezed out.

Perhaps the one that does will give a long hard look at Auburn. The Tigers could use competition in a room Freeze is begging to see more from.

• Thanks 3

Thanks for the article. Not necessarily sure how this guy would help us though as he has little to no game experience. We got enough wild cards on the roster 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thanks for the article. Not necessarily sure how this guy would help us though as he has little to no game experience. We got enough wild cards on the roster 

I believe he is a definite take.  Think of it as backfilling the QB room for missing out on not signing enuf HS Qbs the last few years.

• Like 2

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

I believe he is a definite take.  Think of it as backfilling the QB room for missing out on not signing enuf HS Qbs the last few years.

We don’t need to backfill. We need immediate impact players. What good is it to add someone who might not even be good enough to start or beat out who we have now? Particularly someone who has already had a couple of years of SEC coaching and is not green to the collegiate experience? That really makes no sense to me. The article says we didn’t sign any JUCO or transfer and the guys they list are starters with experience then relays, bring in someone who probably won’t win against competition to Auburn lol. 

• Like 3

Just now, DAG said:

We don’t need to backfill. We need immediate impact players. What good is it to add someone who might not even be good enough to start or beat out who we have now? Particularly someone who has already had a couple of years of SEC coaching and is not green to the collegiate experience? That really makes no sense to me. The article says we didn’t sign any JUCO or transfer and the guys they list are starters with experience then relays, bring in someone who probably won’t win against competition to Auburn lol. 

I disagree. We need both. My point is this. If TJ leaves , which many think he will after Spring. That leaves us with 2 QBs on scholarship with Hank coming in for Fall. I would def take the guy from GA and still look for  someone to plug in as a starter. Or at least let them fight it out ... But, in most cases guys looking to transfer are doing so cause of lack of playing time. Grad transfers are the exception and not sure how many more of them are available this spring. 

49 minutes ago, DAG said:

There are quite a bit of QBs that have transferred or were named starter with little to no experience that were immediately successful. Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Mallett, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall come to mind.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, arein0 said:

There are quite a bit of QBs that have transferred or were named starter with little to no experience that were immediately successful. Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Mallett, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall come to mind.

Some clarifications:

Baker Mayfield played well over several games at Texas Tech his freshman year. To say he had little experience is not true.

Cam Newton and Nick Marshall both had a full year of JUCO experience before heading to Auburn.

Ryan Mallett also had way more significant time than the two QBs mentioned in the article. Additionally, he sat all of 2008 and learned the system before starting in 2009.

Joe Burrow was absolutely not immediately successful as a starter when he transferred to LSU.

Also, there are not quite a few of QBs that transfer and were immediately successful. Those that you named are the exception. Actually, it is quite the opposite. 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I disagree. We need both.

That is an entirely different argument, which the article is not exploring. Also, I highly doubt Brock transfers to Auburn if we bring in an experienced QB. The whole point of him transferring would be to start at the position. Not to be a depth player as you mentioned. My argument is it is a major risk to bring someone in as a transfer who has not been named a starter and has little to no experience, particularly when we really need someone who can come in and get things done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is an entirely different argument, which the article is not exploring. Also, I highly doubt Brock transfers to Auburn if we bring in an experienced QB. The whole point of him transferring would be to start at the position. Not to be a depth player as you mentioned. My argument is it is a major risk to bring someone in as a transfer who has not been named a starter and has little to no experience, particularly when we really need someone who can come in and get things done.

I get your point, but not sure how many of those guys are gonna be available.  Like I said b4... Most QBs transferring are doing so cause of lack of playing time. Unless some from a lower division,  McCall for instance

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I get your point, but not sure how many of those guys are gonna be available.  Like I said b4... Most QBs transferring are doing so cause of lack of playing time. Unless some from a lower division,  McCall for instance

Maybe. I think we need to wait and see. I believe there is some on-going discussion going on that is not exactly out in the open for someone who can transition in. I just do not believe based on what we've seen from Hugh that he is going to take a player with little to no experience as a transfer, otherwise that would've already occurred.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

• ellitor changed the title to Brock Vandagriff Predicted to Transfer to AU

I am surprised that people will be against this. All we have seen to this point is that Ashford is wildly inaccurate and we know nothing about HG. 
I am sure we will see more in the spring so that the coach can make a decision, but we need all the help we can get a quarterback. You could say at this point it may be our weakest position on the team.

Yes I know people want an immediate starter, as do I, but I would not be against it. Also- From everything we have heard Finley is out after spring. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 2

If one of these guys is interested in Auburn, the time to act was back in December/January. Adding one after spring practice doesn't help either AU or the QB nearly as much as it would have helped earlier.

Now, is getting one late better than not getting one at all? Sure, but it's opportunity missed. If we can get a former starter to come in later, that's a different deal but it still would have been better had he been here for the spring practice.

• Like 2

Just now, AUINSY said:

I’d take a 4*/5* backup Georgia QB with quality coaching from a national-title winning team any day any time. Y’all way too picky. 

It is not about being picky. It is about being realistic. Him being from a National title team is irrelevant. In fact, tell me what you like about him other than he suited ups for Georgia? Since you opened up this can of worms, tell my why this guy would be better than any of the QBs that we have right now on the roster, other than POTENTIAL.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DAG said:

It is not about being picky. It is about being realistic. Him being from a National title team is irrelevant. In fact, tell me what you like about him other than he suited ups for Georgia? Since you opened up this can of worms, tell my why this guy would be better than any of the QBs that we have right now on the roster, other than POTENTIAL.

He’s better than anyone on our roster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Based on what?

Exhibit A: The last 2 seasons of quarterback play at Auburn football. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

I’d take a 4*/5* backup Georgia QB with quality coaching from a multi national-title winning team any day any time. Y’all way too picky. 

We'd take him, but that's not nearly as good an acquisition as somebody's returning starter would be. For all we know, Holden Geriner is a better prospect than either one of the reported UGA defectors.

• Like 2

Just now, AUINSY said:

Exhibit A: The last 2 seasons of quarterback play at Auburn football. 

But what has he done that shows you he is better?

Just now, Mikey said:

We'd take him, but that's not nearly as good an acquisition as somebody's returning starter would be. For all we know, Holden Geriner is a better prospect than either one of the reported UGA defectors.

Go get us a quality, proven QB 

Just now, AUINSY said:

Go get us a quality, proven QB 

That's what we hope Coach Freeze is doing, even as we speak. These Guys who failed at UGA should come in and compete if they want to but I see no reason why they'd be an instant success here. They would start off behind both Ashford and Geriner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Some clarifications:

Baker Mayfield played well over several games at Texas Tech his freshman year. To say he had little experience is not true.

Cam Newton and Nick Marshall both had a full year of JUCO experience before heading to Auburn.

Ryan Mallett also had way more significant time than the two QBs mentioned in the article. Additionally, he sat all of 2008 and learned the system before starting in 2009.

Joe Burrow was absolutely not immediately successful as a starter when he transferred to LSU.

Also, there are not quite a few of QBs that transfer and were immediately successful. Those that you named are the exception. Actually, it is quite the opposite. 

I guess it depends on how you define minimal experience and success. I dont consider JUCO as experience. I view JUCO as similar experience to a top HS program. I will give you Baker was a bad example. For Joe Burrow, LSU immediately had a better year than the previous year in his first year. I would call that a success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

But what has he done that shows you he is better?

IMO It is more about: what have our current players shown when they have played. Ashford was dead last in QBR and turned the ball over a ton… and HG has not played. 
Spring will show us a lot.