Auburn's Shrinking Fan Base

Son of A Tiger

5 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Auburn has monetized every aspect that once made it special.  It’s a shame that younger kids don’t realize how great it was when tailgating was Wild West style.

That’s probably true. My first AU game was with my father who graduated in the late sixties. I believe it was 1983. We still had Lionel. Brooks, and Bo was a freshman. They were playing Maryland and Boomer E was their QB. I saw maybe 8 or 10 games of theirs at home over the years, but I saw at least three in Athens in the 90’s and the game in Tuscaloosa Jason Campbell’s final year. This newer generation is only about the now! 

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Mike4AU said:

It doesn’t take a prescient mind to know this is true. EVERYONE knows shrinkage is true!

They were in the pool!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I guess the transfer portal is open for fans too.

I just don't get an Auburn fan not being an Auburn fan any longer. A sidewalk Auburn fan yes, an Auburn fan, no. Not going to games because of cost doesn't mean you left the Auburn fan base anymore than distance being a deterrent. If Auburn starts winning again the sidewalk fan will be back. I bet if you polled the nation on Iron Bowl Saturday Auburn would have the largest fan base in the country. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I bet if you polled the nation on Iron Bowl Saturday Auburn would have the largest fan base in the country. 

This might still be true even if there weren’t any Auburn fans due to all the inbred bammers!!! 🤣🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

I guess the transfer portal is open for fans too.

I just don't get an Auburn fan not being an Auburn fan any longer. A sidewalk Auburn fan yes, an Auburn fan, no. Not going to games because of cost doesn't mean you left the Auburn fan base anymore than distance being a deterrent. If Auburn starts winning again the sidewalk fan will be back. I bet if you polled the nation on Iron Bowl Saturday Auburn would have the largest fan base in the country. 

i know a ton of rabid auburn fans so it does seem doubtful. i think we have more fans coming in every year i just believe many do not have the funds to take in games and eats and getting there as well. then add a t shirt or ballcap as well as some frosty beverages and i believe a lot of folks just do not have the money. it is just a thought.........

Edited by aubiefifty
typo
  • Like 3

The generation of fans who "lease" their white tent tailgates is rapidly dying off, literally. Who wants to pay thousands just to watch the season go down the toilet against San Jose State.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MaxP said:

The generation of fans who "lease" their white tent tailgates is rapidly dying off, literally. Who wants to pay thousands just to watch the season go down the toilet against San Jose State.

lol that is a damn good point. hell you could walk by a site in the old days and people you did not know would offer you some fine food. i was told it has gotten so costly it hardly ever happens now. this may not be true but people like to woof ya know?

AL.COM. Bammer rag does it again…..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Auburn over the last few years seems to be pulling in a much larger share of students from northern states.  Much less interest in football up there....more La Crosse type fans.

Like basketball though, fans will return when we are competitive and winning again.  Even kids who don't follow football will get interested when we are consistently ranked in the top-10.  

Winning solves every problem.

On 4/22/2023 at 1:01 PM, Son of A Tiger said:

This article says AU has the fastest shrinking fanbase of any school in the nation. If true what do you think is the reason? I have an opinion but would like to hear others. What say ye?

Auburn football has the fastest shrinking fanbase in the nation, sports marketing data shows - al.com

While I'm sure the people who produced this report can back it up to their own satisfaction I call BS on this nonsense.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Log a few years of freaking Birmingham Bowl's or no bowl at all and see where your fanbase goes.  I don't care how much you love Auburn, it makes you want to puke.

It doesn't take long to diminish a fanbase when the program goes through the worst time in program history and runs through 3 different coaching staffs in 3 years while our 2 main rivals bathe in the glow of national championship contention. 

This program needs stability and to start winning ball games, seriously competing for championships AND start funneling players into the pro's at a high clip.  Then fan interest and fan $$ will crank back up to levels we've never seen before. 

Auburn has the best fans in the world, but they've been asked to be patient for far too long and they're just sick and tired of the Administration's shenanigans and the constant turmoil. Here's to Freeze & Cohen getting things on correct course very soon, Auburn Football's success depends on it now more than ever. 🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Some of y’all must not have been around back in the day when Auburn was irrelevant and still had a cult/antibama following. I lived it, and it was way worse than today, but the fanatics were around and just quietly waiting. They’re still fans like us today and they’re quietly waiting/crouching 🐅 in the shadows until CHF can turn us into a powerhouse again.

Edited by toddc

Do the diminishing fanbase numbers directly correlate to the OTV/NIL numbers as well?  

I saw someone (AEGirl) post were Ole Miss had over 5,000 members in their NIL collective and at the time Auburn hadn't even reached 1,000.  WTH? 

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Do the diminishing fanbase numbers directly correlate to the OTV/NIL numbers as well?  

I saw someone (AEGirl) post were Ole Miss had over 5,000 members in their NIL collective and at the time Auburn hadn't even reached 1,000.  WTH? 

A question for someone, anyone, who might know...when you give to the NIL is it one name per donation or would a married couple who are donating count as two? I understand that dollars are the main objective but if we are concerned with member sign up then maybe count that way, a married couple splits the donation from a higher tier to a lower tier and counts as two.