Big Cat Weekend Thread

toddc

Walker White on potential Big Cat Weekend commitments: '100 percent it is possible'

Cole Pinkston

Martavious Collins and Auburn quarterback commitment Walker White during a recent visit to the Plains. 

During the Auburn Live Call-In Show, a caller from Arkansas chimed in on which 2023 Auburn game was the most pivotal for Hugh Freeze’s first season. 

The caller would later reveal (after some questioning on who he was) that he was Walker White, 4-star Auburn quarterback commit.

White gave some insight on a few Auburn commits. He then dove into what he’s expecting from Big Cat Weekend. It will be his first big recruiting event at Auburn since A-Day. He is excited to get together with several major Auburn targets.

White gave his thoughts on the current visitors list, a top wide receiver target, and the possibility of more recruits joining the class soon.

[ BIG CAT WEEKEND RUNNING VISITORS LIST ]

Auburn DL commit Malik Blocton and 4-star WR target Malcolm Simmons

Q: Tell us about getting together with Malik Blocton who just committed. What were your thoughts on him?

White: Well considering he (Malik Blocton) is a defensive lineman, I doubt he was out there coaching the receivers and DB’s. But, he was bigger than I thought he was. I told him when I saw him, ‘Bro, I’m glad you’re not playing against me.’ He’s really a nice dude, though. He shook my hand after, we beat their team so that was fun to be able to compete against them. Malik told my dad, ‘Man, that boy Walker can throw!’ Malik was very nice. He was just supporting his team. He was just chilling there with his Auburn hat on, supporting his team and being with his guys.

Q: You also got to be around Malcolm Simmons again after throwing to him at Auburn camp. What are your thoughts on him now that he is becoming a bigger Auburn target?

White: Whenever I met him he was very easy to talk to and a little bit bigger than I thought. Watching him run routes, it’s just so pure, he’s so fast, so twitchy. That is one of the biggest things that is so important for receivers: how quick can you get in and out of your breaks, how fast can you move your legs. There was this one video at the Auburn camp of him catching the ball. He was running a 12-yard dig or something in-breaking. He jumped up and snagged the ball high in the air. If you just watch him run routes, he just looks athletic. Watching his film you can tell he is a playmaker, pure route runner. We really want him, so that would be a huge pickup if we got him. Hopefully he does come and commit to Auburn. That will be another main focus is just staying around Malcolm. I know Coach Davis wants him and Coach Freeze. I think he’d be a huge addition to the future Auburn offense. We’re going to try hard to get him. 

Big Cat Weekend goals, expectations

Q: What are your expectations going into your first Big Cat Weekend? How impressive is the visitors list so far?

White: Obviously there is going to be tons of talent there. My biggest goal going in is just to get around every person, talk to every dude and create those relationships. There are going to be a couple of 5-stars, maybe 5 or 6, and like 16 4-stars. So that will be very important for us. Deandre Carter, KJ (Bolden), Perry (Thompson), Demarcus (Riddick), and many other guys are going to be there. My biggest thing is getting around them, allowing them to see who I am. If they were to come play for Auburn, I just want them to see who the quarterback for their class is going to be and who he is and the kind of person I am. Its a huge week and I have never been around a Big Cat or any kind of junior day at Auburn. So I’m excited to see what they have planned for us. I don’t really know what’s coming, but I kind of have a few things planned myself, but I can’t really tell y’all that… It’s going to be a great time. I’m very excited. Hopefully we can walk away with a couple of commitments too.

Commitments at Big Cat Weekend?

Q: Is it possible that Auburn has a new commitment following Big Cat Weekend?

White: Well, 100 percent it is possible. I honestly do not have a whole lot of information, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone did walk away committing. I would be pretty happy with it. We will see how it plays. I know the staff is going to put on a great visit for everyone. Usually you have more fun at these types of things because you’re with other guys and other recruits. It’s not really uptight. It’s just you and the boys hanging and eating. I’m very excited for that.

Q: How do you think the new staff under Coach Freeze will go about Big Cat Weekend?

White: Oh I bet they’ll turn it up. Especially seeing other guys committed to other schools, seeing that extra effort to get guys at Big Cat Weekend is very important and very big.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saw on twitter that now Ryan Williams isn't coming to Big Cat. I tried to find the post but never know what will be in your feed these days LOL

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, southern_sports said:

Lol I know. Just excited.

We all should be 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We all should be 

Without divulging any more specifics than you're comfortable with, how many recruits do you think we come away with? 

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Without divulging any more specifics than you're comfortable with, how many recruits do you think we come away with? 

X > 0

• Haha 7

• Like 2

Updated visitor list in the OP

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, toddc said:

Updated visitor list in the OP

What about Heyward? If we miss out on him, I at least hope it's not to UCF.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent He's a maybe for BCW last I saw.

Need to beat Gus out there, if it comes to it. I'd say we seem to be picking up momentum but I don't want to hex us like I did with Coleman. 
: P

Edited by AUwent

22 minutes ago, AUwent said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

If not us, I'd rather him leave the conference. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We have 4 big time safeties we're in it with.

For those needing the names...

5*+ KJ Bolden
4* Zaquan Patterson
4* Jaylen Heyward

@bigbird Is 4* Jalewis Solomon the 4th you are referring to?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

@toddc Not sure I trust that yet. Have you seen specifically where JH announced he was coming to BCW? AU recruiting reporters are still saying he's a maybe.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

For those needing the names...

5*+ KJ Bolden
4* Zaquan Patterson
4* Jaylen Heyward

@bigbird Is 4* Jalewis Solomon the 4th you are referring to?

Yes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@toddc Not sure I trust that yet. Have you seen specifically where JH announced he was coming to BCW? AU recruiting reporters are still saying he's a maybe.

That’s all I’ve heard.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

If not us, I'd rather him leave the conference. 

That's a perfectly fair way to look at it! I just think that since we dont know how many top 100 players we land, if UCF is our main competition for this one, we should absolutely be able to win out over Gus. Since, y'know, we fired him lol.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We should absolutely be able to win out over Gus. Since, y'know, we fired him lol.

Unless we like or better positioned for others

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Unless we like or better positioned for others

Come on Bird. You know when Went see a top 100 ranked player, he's like 

Gimme-gimme-gimme GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2