Trovon says Holden Geriner

AU-24

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/trovon-reed-gives-interesting-answer-on-auburn-football-quarterback-battle?fbclid=IwAR3esg-5vHkCjOzpsI5Sop6nyKCCfrqjyfjNYBA7zVVTIFobDAZT2wGad-0

Reed confirmed that the Tigers are still in search of a transfer portal QB, but noted that if (Auburn) is not going to get a top tier quarterback, the his bet would be on Holden Geriner being the starter.

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze praised Geriner for his progression through spring practice a month ago, claiming Geriner "really, really, really stood out all week with his improvement and his play," calling his showing "impressive" and eventually allowing him to run the first-team offense during the pacing drills second-to-last week of practices. While struggling with inconsistencies alongside the other two signal-callers on roster, Geriner turned things around since he threw at Auburn's Pro Day last Tuesday with Cam Newton.

This goes along with Freezes recent comments… paraphrasing here: there hasn’t been a quarterback in the portal that’s better than I have in my quarterback room.

• Like 5

Hugh Freeze likes Auburn football's current QBs, may play multiple in regular season

HUNTSVILLE — Speaking at an AMBUSH eventThursday, Auburn football coach Hugh Freezefelt the need to get something off his chest regarding his team's quarterback situation.

"I need to get this out there: I like our quarterbacks, all right? I guess I'm too honest and transparent sometimes, but I tell you the good and the bad," Freeze said. "Obviously, we need to improve that position. We do. Does improving it mean we improve the ones we have? Or does it mean getting one in the portal? I think it can mean both.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, woodford said:

There won’t be enough popcorn to enjoy watching some posters meltdown if HG actually starts on opening day

If he is close to being ready, this season would be the right time to get him started.

If neither of the older guys will insure more wins, bank on the future. 

Edited by CCTAU
  • Like 5

On 4/28/2023 at 9:46 AM, woodford said:

There won’t be enough popcorn to enjoy watching some posters meltdown if HG actually starts on opening day

Who are these poster that would melt down?

I don't see how any can be confident in a single one of our QBs

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

Need to pursue Thompson HARD. No excuses.

I agree. He’s over 60% completion and is relatively mobile. I think he could benefit from this offense. Would really like to see him at AU. While I’m not sold on any of our current QB’s I do think HG has a future at QB. I also wouldn’t mind seeing RA make a move a la Kodi Burns a few years back. He’s athletic enough. Thompson fits a lot of boxes except for his 10 INTs last year but that can be corrected with good coaching. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

I agree. He’s over 60% completion and is relatively mobile. I think he could benefit from this offense. Would really like to see him at AU. While I’m not sold on any of our current QB’s I do think HG has a future at QB. I also wouldn’t mind seeing RA make a move a la Kodi Burns a few years back. He’s athletic enough. Thompson fits a lot of boxes except for his 10 INTs last year but that can be corrected with good coaching. 

CT played on some horrendous teams the last two years. Those stats, which aren't awful, might get a Lil bump with a team that isn't bad

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

CT played on some horrendous teams the last two years. Those stats, which aren't awful, might get a Lil bump with a team that isn't bad

Agree. Would like to see him here and see if he can beat out our other three. I think his upside is higher than the kid Bama just signed from ND. 

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

The same could be said about our current QBs.

Not really. Our current QBs are a large factor worse. 8-10 points on comp%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not really. Our current QBs are a large factor worse. 8-10 points on comp%

Still, they have played the last two years in the toughest league in all of college football with little coaching, little blocking, very inconsistent receivers.

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Who are these poster that would melt down?

I don't see how any can be confident in a single one of our QBs

I agree at this point. Have to say though with HG, lack of confidence is more about lack of data than poor play. Can’t say that about the other options.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

If we do not have a substantially better offensive line

Have you been paying attention?

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, AUY2K said:

This is the hand that we have been dealt.  RA just needs to move to WR/speed sweep/Wild Cat.

They said the same thing about Lamar Jackson, the highest paid QB in the league. 

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

They said the same thing about Lamar Jackson, the highest paid QB in the league. 

Your correct, passing was a little better in college but not by much.

Okay guys Lamar Jackson and RA are NOT in the same stratosphere , just like AR and RA are not in the same stratosphere. Stop thinking in isolation terms. Those guys have things that offset their low accuracy . Lamar Jackson was truly a weapon with his feet. RA, although athletic , is not nearly the weapon as Lamar. Anthony Richardson, although not accurate, has a much stronger arm then RA, a much better athlete and has shown at the very least he can make plays happen in a positive manner (2 to 1 TD to interception ratio). RA has a long way to go. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Okay guys Lamar Jackson and RA are NOT in the same stratosphere

I don't these people seriously watch any games outside of Auburn

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't these people seriously watch any games outside of Auburn

It’s wishful thinking I get it. I just wish folks understood the Lamar Jackson’s of the world are the exception not the rule and those guys typically dominate at the collegiate level. 

AR draft stock went up significantly because of his size , his ability to dominate the physical aspect of the combine and with a new QB coach , did extremely well in throwing at the combine and his pro day.

RA is still inconsistent at throwing against air. He had one really good nfl throw during our A day game but otherwise looked relatively the same. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s wishful thinking I get it. I just wish folks understood the Lamar Jackson’s of the world are the exception not the rule and those guys typically dominate at the collegiate level. 

AR draft stock went up significantly because of his size , his ability to dominate the physical aspect of the combine and with a new QB coach , did extremely well in throwing at the combine and his pro day.

RA is still inconsistent at throwing against air. He had one really good nfl throw during our A day game but otherwise looked relatively the same. 

Ashford and Finley were both 3rd string QBs when we “stole” them away from their former schools. Why so many AU fans think they are better now Ill never understand. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

RA is still inconsistent at throwing against air. He had one really good nfl throw during our A day game but otherwise looked relatively the same

Did he? The deep pass seemed under thrown. Don't remember much else. It was pretty horrible day all around