2023 4* Vandy Transfer Guard/Wing Tyrin Lawrence

ellitor

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 4* Vandy Transfer Guard/Wing Tyrin Lawrence

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep think we got a real shot. Credit to bird for info

Still not sure TL is the mistery man Bird or JGT was hearing.

12 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Love a lefty. Hard to guard. This would mean a switch to more of a three-guard look - but I think that works for Bruce offensively. 

His one worthwhile postseason, three guard lineup was frequented often with Harper-Brown-Samir. Two huge flameouts in part, bc we didn’t have enough guard type bodies to match with the other team…

I feel like Cleveland is definitely who we want, in talent and frame esp, but I wouldn’t be mad if you had a good enough guard at the 3

7 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Tyson>Cleveland>Lawrence

@KansasTigerFor the staff I think it's 

Lawrence>Tyson>Cleveland

9 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Mystery Man???

Some think it's Lawrence. Others think it still hasn't been said yet.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Lawrence>Tyson>Cleveland

I think BP and staff can evaluate better than me. So I won't press that. But Tyson seems to be everything you'd want in a 3.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Still not sure TL is the mistery man Bird or JGT was hearing.

We'll see I heard about TL yesterday.....hope you're correct

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Lawrence>Tyson>Cleveland

A friend ran into BP this week at a B'ham Boy Scout event.   BP told him he was slow playing, my words, Cleveland because he had someone coming in this weekend that he liked better.   He did not say the name.  Guessing it's Lawrence?   E, any other weekend visitors that you have heard?

Seems like an odd fit at the 3 asujming we have the 2 spot covered with KD and Jones. Pearl has never seemed to care much about measurable though 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

, any other weekend visitors that you have heard?

@LPTiger Nope but I probably couldn't say anyway even if I had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Seems like an odd fit at the 3 asujming we have the 2 spot covered with KD and Jones. Pearl has never seemed to care much about measurable though 🤷🏼‍♂️

It wouldn't be the 1st time he's been heavy on a 3 guard line up & wouldn't be the last.

• Like 1

I thought that within SEC would have to sit a year? Am I wrong?

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I "think" you're getting it confused with football portal timeline....ie any football player that transfers within the SEC during this portal window would have to sit out a year, but not for basketball.  Maybe that rule applies during another window for basketball.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

@AuburnNTexas https://www.secsports.com/article/31561633/sec-allow-immediate-eligibility-intraconference-transfers

In order to gain immediate eligibility, a student-athlete will need to declare his or her intent to transfer by February 1 for Fall sports, May 1 for Winter sports and July 1 for Spring sports.

Basketball is a winter sport.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Thank you for clearing that up.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AUtigers2324 said:

So if Lawrence wants to play at AU for the ‘23-‘24 season we should know by Monday? Nice.

@AUtigers2324 Not necessarily. He just had to be in the portal by Monday. Since he's in the portal he doesn't really have a deadline now to chose an SEC school.

• Like 2

Google is your friend, at least when he's not spying on you.  Freebie on rivals.  Sounds promising.

Ex-Vanderbilt standout Tyrin Lawrence wrapped up his Auburn visit Saturday.

After three seasons in Nashville, the 6-foot-4 wing knows what he's wants — and Auburn can provide it.

"It was great, I enjoyed my time here with Bruce Pearl," Lawrence said. "They treated me like family, so it's been a great weekend."

Lawrence is transferring after three seasons with the Commodores. His commitment to a new school will be made based on one factor.

"It'd probably be solely based on relationships," Lawrence said. "(Bruce Pearl) has a good relationship with even a lot of his former players and current players, they speak highly of him and you know he’s always there for them for whatever they need."

Former Vanderbilt wing Tyrin Lawrence is big on relationships

Former Vanderbilt wing Tyrin Lawrence is big on relationships (Henry Patton/AuburnSports.com)

Lawrence has NBA dreams and has taken notice of the players that Pearl has put in the league recently.

"That's been huge," Lawrence said. "That's ultimately where I want to go. Seeing guys like Isaac (Okoro), Sharife (Cooper) and those guys make come through and make it, it kind of tells you that BP knows what he's doing here."

Auburn lacked consistent wing scoring last season. Lawrence, who averaged 13.2 points per game on 50 percent shooting, believes he can solve the problem.

"It's exciting being one of the go-to scorers on a good team," Lawrence said. "So it's definitely something to think about. They basically laid out how I'd fit in and it looks like a good situation."

Lawrence averaged 1.167 points per possession on spot-up chances which ranked in the 90th percentile per Synergy Sports.

"I think I would fit perfectly just doing stuff on and off the ball, whether it's coming off ball screens, cutting back door, I think I can do a lot of that. With the pieces they have here, I think I'd be a perfect fit."

Lawrence grew up in Macon, Ga., as did new assistant coach Corey Williams. It made for a great connection between them and Lawrence's mother.

"I met him (Williams), he's actually a good guy," Lawrence said. "He spent a lot of time with my son ... him and my mom, they were able to talk about connections they have there, but he seems like a pretty good guy."

Lawrence is big on relationships, and his relationship with both Pearls is a key in his recruitment. Bruce is his lead recruiter with Steven assisting him.

"(Steven's) a pretty good guy," Lawrence said. "Like Bruce, he made me feel like I was at home. Whatever I needed, he helped me just as far as getting here, traveling -- going to the gym, if I needed anything he was there to help. It seems like everyone here is big on relationships. I think that's what ultimately allows them to land a lot of their players."

Auburn was Lawrence's first visit and he does not currently have any other visits planned. Lawrence plans to commit "hopefully fairly soon."

• Thanks 4

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Captioning the photo.

BP: I'm taking one of your best players.

JS: We are not pleased.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Captioning the photo.

BP: I'm taking one of your best players.

JS: We are not pleased.

You’re getting good at this social media stuff man!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1