2023 4* Vandy Transfer Guard/Wing Tyrin Lawrence

ellitor

Nooooooooooo!!!

Auburn transfer target Tyrin Lawrence invited to G League Elite Camp

ByNATHAN KING 64 minutes ago

8 Comments

In addition to other suitors in the portal, Auburn will now have to contend with the NBA for arguably its top transfer target.

Vanderbilt transfer Tyrin Lawrence, who officially visited Auburn last week, has been added to the list of NBA G League Elite Camp invitees for the event next Saturday and Sunday in Chicago. The Commodores' leading scorer entered his name into the draft process after the team's season ended in the NIT, and he now has the chance to advance to the NBA Combine later in the month.

Some prospects have already received combine invites, but the G League Elite Camp — which also features Auburn big man Johni Broome this year — is an opportunity for players to earn their way into the next stage of the draft process with their performance and testing on the court, including scrimmage-type settings.

If Lawrence ends up going to the combine, he would likely be in a position to seriously consider remaining in the draft in hopes of being selected in late June.

“(The combine) is usually a very strong indicator about whether or not you have a good chance to be drafted,” Bruce Pearl said last week.

Players have until May 31 to withdraw from the draft. Auburn's Jaylin Williams and Dylan Cardwell also entered the draft process but did not make the cut for the G League camp, and will likely return to the program soon.

Auburn’s academic summer semester begins May 17, which also represents a rough estimate of when the basketball program’s offseason workouts begin, and players will be expected to report to campus around that time — though the likes of Lawrence, if he chooses Auburn, and Broome could now be delayed, depending on how far they go in the draft process. 

Edited by toddc

It does make it a bit more nerve wracking, but if we are expecting Broome to return why wouldnt we expect Lawrence as well?

Flanigan performed decent last year, but did not get the NBA combine invite.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

It does make it a bit more nerve wracking, but if we are expecting Broome to return why wouldnt we expect Lawrence as well?

An undersized 2 guard with scoring pop is a dime a dozen in terms of NBA prospects nowadays, but it's much much easier for a guy with that skillset to just go out there and bust some guys heads in a combine scenario than someone of the ability of Broome. I personally think we very much need Broome, but that just isn't a guy that should be able to do much against other semi-elite college talent and I can't see how he grades well in the Combine after watching him move for 40 games. Not to mention one is already entrenched in a good spot at Auburn while the other is considering literally every option in terms of a landing spot

• Like 2

Personally, I'd likely move on if we have somebody ready. But that's without being in those conversations

None of the 44 guys invited last year were drafted. I think people are really overreacting. AF was invited last year. The only real risk imo is that he decides to go pro outside the NBA, but our NIL may be competitive with that option.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

None of the 44 guys invited last year were drafted. I think people are really overreacting. AF was invited last year. The only real risk imo is that he decides to go pro outside the NBA, but our NIL may be competitive with that option.

And I don't personally think it's likely he would be drafted either, but for some guys, playing yourself into a good spot with a few franchises is all you can ask for. Our program defining point guard decided to take a chance on that route after making a Final Four. Everyone's appetite is a bit different 

The invitation says he’s good enough for a look and that’s good thing, if he comes to play for AU this year.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, toddc said:

Nooooooooooo!!!

@toddc relax. Flan did this last year. AU is still in good shape.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

The-force-is-strong-with-you GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Personally, I'd likely move on if we have somebody ready. But that's without being in those conversations

Image of Barf! No. Bad.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

I honestly wish we could take Cleveland and Lawrence both.

We could but both are unlikely to choose AU.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@toddc relax. Flan did this last year. AU is still in good shape.

I know it was just for dramatic affect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

couldn’t find it on the page itself but with the Cleveland Canes prediction from earlier…whew

From Hoke FWIW...

Auburn is in a good spot, as I said on Friday. The G League combine invite has prolonged the process. If not for the that invite, he’s probably already committed and this is done. Because of that, it’s allowed someone like Memphis to gain “momentum.”

I’d be very surprised if he ended up at Georgia.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It’s getting to be last call at the bar…

Not really. There's still 5 days in this transfer window. The last couple of which in football meant...

Image of A lot of action.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not really. There's still 5 days in this transfer window. The last couple of which in football meant...

Image of A lot of action.

I've seen this go wrong for us too many times to be comfortable. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I've seen this go wrong for us too many times to be comfortable. 

This is where I'm at too.  Ive been told not to worry, but ...

• Like 1

Yea we have gotten close to Scoot line again where we pass on others to wait on a near sure thing until they don't come in final hour.  Then left with tier 2/3 possibilities instead of solid tier 1 guy. 

I would at least bring somebody from our list in if we can now.  Then see if Tyrin still interested. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Did Auburn lose interest in Cleveland?

@Tiger720  Nope but Tyrin is likely a higher target for the staff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Tiger720  Nope but Tyrin is likely a higher target for the staff.

Bird just mentioned it's possible to get Cleveland but Bruce needs to make a decision.  Personally wish he'd hedge here and take Cleveland to make sure we don't lose all of the tier 1 guys we were looking at and play roulette with the final days of portal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Bird just mentioned it's possible to get Cleveland but Bruce needs to make a decision.  Personally wish he'd hedge here and take Cleveland to make sure we don't lose all of the tier 1 guys we were looking at and play roulette with the final days of portal. 

FWIW, We still feel good about Lawrence.

• Like 3