Biblical Marriage

AURex

42 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

This seems a very juvenile way of looking at this;

If we just took away the Bible guys everything would be cool, it's the Bible that causes people to hate others irrationally, be greedy, power hungry, or just straight up mean. It's def not just the way our species is. :lol: 

And to your last sentence, people use EVERYTHING to form their personal philosophies. Without even realizing it. Millions have had their philosophical views formed or altered by the likes of Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker. But Jesus is where you draw the line huh?

lol .... lmao even.

If we just took away the Bible guys everything would be cool, it's the Bible that causes people to hate others irrationally, be greedy, power hungry, or just straight up mean. It's def not just the way our species is. :lol: 

I mean, there has been a lot of pain and suffering caused by religious texts. It wouldn't eliminate bad in the world, but it wouldn't hurt. 

And to your last sentence, people use EVERYTHING to form their personal philosophies.

Your point? I never said said people can't draw inspiration from books. Some inspirations inspire kindness and righteousness, and some inspire hate a divisiveness. The Bible and books like it seem to inspire the latter, even though its supposed to stand for the former. Like I said, people need to stop using religious texts to DECIDE anything.

58 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

They follow Christ (Hence the word 'Christian')

^^^This is the biggest bunch of horse sh*t I've seen on here today. No they don't. Lol! The vast majority of Christians literally stand against EVERYTHING that Christ taught and was about. Jesus wouldn't stand a chance in American Christian society. He wouldn't have even been allowed into a large number of churches, pre 1960's. Jesus was a radical woke progressive who hated money. 

Talk about a need for self reflection.  

You cannot serve both God and money – Luke 16:13

81% of white evangelicals voted for a morally corrupt billionaire.

To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them (Luke 6:27).

This sound like a modern "follower of Christ to you"? 

And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. “Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. “Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh - Luke 6:20-21 

"They're lazy and entitled". Ever heard a "Christian" say that. I have, hundreds of times.

• Love 3

Practicing the religion of "Christianity" and,,, following Jesus are now vastly different concepts.

The more "Christians" attempt to wield political power in this world, the more they separate themselves from the love of Jesus.

Following Jesus is about exercising self control, not wielding worldly power in the effort to control others.

The calling of Jesus is to love, not to control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Practicing the religion of "Christianity" and,,, following Jesus are now vastly different concepts.

The more "Christians" attempt to wield political power in this world, the more they separate themselves from the love of Jesus.

Following Jesus is about exercising self control, not wielding worldly power in the effort to control others.

Hallelujah GIFs | GIFDB.com

13 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

but we are haters right? the truth of the matter is jesus is all about love. hell he loved the man that betrayed and sent him to his doom. and many on here will argue but i was told to pay attention to the teachings of jesus. other stuff in the bible are histories and not always the word of god. plus i look at what so many have turned religion into and i do not trust what a lot of the bible says. maybe the pack of bears sent to murder kids because they kept throwing rocks at an old man? i am pretty sure that is a fable.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i look at what so many have turned religion into and i do not trust what a lot of the bible says

The goal is to accept and reflect the perfect love of Jesus.  Following Jesus is about the love of Jesus in your heart, not the Bible in your head.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 7:54 PM, AURex said:

I get a laugh out of the fanatically righteous conservatives who thump their Bible and proclaim that marriage is between one man and one woman. Period. The End!  Obviously, their knowledge of the bible is deficient. Here are the acceptable forms of marriage according to the bible.

Biblical Marriage.jpeg

What I get a laugh out of is people that live and walk in this world and observe the beauty of nature and the human spirit and think that it all happened by chance. 

20 minutes ago, JMWATS said:

What I get a laugh out of is people that live and walk in this world and observe the beauty of nature and the human spirit and think that it all happened by chance. 

So you believe that it was all created by something as part of an intelligent design. There is absolutely no harm in believing that. The problem is how that simple idea can evolve into enslaving people,  owning women as property, denying fundamental rights to people, based on their color, sexual orientation, or gender, etc, all in the name of following the creator of said design. Why can't someone belive in a creator and also believe that the creator gave humanity a divine right to forge its own path (Example - Don't be an a**hole to gay people, because they cause you no harm)

I like to ask myself a simple question from time to time and have never been able to find a good answer.

IF there is a creator who carefully designed this universe, why is there so much pain and suffering and if the creator is using it as a tool to test humanities devotion, why would anyone ever devote themselves to a creator who would do such things. 

I've never been a strongly religious person, but I remember the day I read this article. I decided that I didn't believe anything could design such a cruel world and if it did, I didn't want to associate with it. 

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligator-attacks-child-disney-florida/index.html

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 3

On 5/14/2023 at 8:07 AM, 1716AU said:

Also, Jonathan and David were homosexual lovers.  The Hebrew is quite explicit on that.  Another key sign David is Bi-sexual, is when David is old and they place young virgins in bed with him andhis arousal is nil, well, that should ring a bell for you. Also Naomi and Ruth.  Explicit language.  

In the case of David and Jonathan, the evidence suggests that they were simply close friends. They both were heavily involved in heterosexual marriages. They both had children from those marriages who received the priority that is typical of such marriages. For example, Jonathan desired a covenant between himself and David that would ensure the safety of his wife and family:

22 minutes ago, JMWATS said:

Does it make it any less beautiful if it has happened by chance?

Even more beautiful is that the right conditions have almost certainly happened somewhere else out there. How fantastic would it be to discover we're not alone in the universe? Especially if that knowledge could help guide us through this self-destructive phase where our intelligence is outpacing our wisdom?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

And to your last sentence, people use EVERYTHING to form their personal philosophies. Without even realizing it. Millions have had their philosophical views formed or altered by the likes of Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker. But Jesus is where you draw the line huh?

lol .... lmao even.

HEY! 

The bible is the inerrant word of God! 

(As many believe.)

But I liked the analogy with Harry Potter and Star Wars.  Maybe - given time - they will form the basis of a religion also. ;)

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

^^^This is the biggest bunch of horse sh*t I've seen on here today. No they don't. Lol! The vast majority of Christians literally stand against EVERYTHING that Christ taught and was about. Jesus wouldn't stand a chance in American Christian society. He wouldn't have even been allowed into a large number of churches, pre 1960's. Jesus was a radical woke progressive who hated money. 

Talk about a need for self reflection.  

You cannot serve both God and money – Luke 16:13

81% of white evangelicals voted for a morally corrupt billionaire.

To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them (Luke 6:27).

This sound like a modern "follower of Christ to you"? 

And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. “Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. “Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh - Luke 6:20-21 

"They're lazy and entitled". Ever heard a "Christian" say that. I have, hundreds of times.

That doesn't really follow though. People misusing or intentionally going against the teachings does not change the definition of being 'Christlike'

If I say "Math students are people who learn to do math'

And you point out that it's not true and point to the students on their phone, playing games, day dreaming, etc.

It doesn't change the meaning of being a student of math, it means there are a lot of students for math that are not conducting themselves as expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Speaking of juvenile, that's a great example of "begging the question"!  :-\

2 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

That doesn't really follow though. People misusing or intentionally going against the teachings does not change the definition of being 'Christlike'

If I say "Math students are people who learn to do math'

And you point out that it's not true and point to the students on their phone, playing games, day dreaming, etc.

It doesn't change the meaning of being a student of math, it means there are a lot of students for math that are not conducting themselves as expected.

I get what you're saying. On paper, the point of Christianity is to follow Christ's teaching. I concede that.

But if >90% of a religion have never practiced what the original teacher taught, it makes more sense to assume that the meaning of Christianity wasn't ever about following Christ's teachings. Is was about controlling people and seizing more power, with Jesus as the tool. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JMWATS said:

So, tell us how it did happen.

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I get what you're saying. On paper, the point of Christianity is to follow Christ's teaching. I concede that.

But if >90% of a religion have never practiced what the original teacher taught, it makes more sense to assume that the meaning of Christianity wasn't ever about following Christ's teachings. Is was about controlling people and seizing more power, with Jesus as the tool. 

Oh I agree it has absolutely been used as a tool by greedy and power hungry people. Tyrants and such as a means to justify their tyranny, wars, genocides, etc.

I just don't think removing Christs actual teaching from your repertoire helps you in anyway. And on the flip side, I doubt any evil people will be held back by having one less tool to use. After all, before any Abrahamic even existed tyrants simply told people that they themselves were gods or demigods and did as they wished. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

WAIT!  THERE'S MORE...

You get absolved of all your sins and a guarantee of eternity in paradise (less all the virgins of course.)

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

Just now, JMWATS said:

You first.

All I know is what science tells us about the origin of the universe(s) which - so far - falls WAY short of identifying a creator.

3 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Oh I agree it has absolutely been used as a tool by greedy and power hungry people. Tyrants and such as a means to justify their tyranny, wars, genocides, etc.

I just don't think removing Christs actual teaching from your repertoire helps you in anyway. And on the flip side, I doubt any evil people will be held back by having one less tool to use. After all, before any Abrahamic even existed tyrants simply told people that they themselves were gods or demigods and did as they wished. 

I just don't think removing Christs actual teaching from your repertoire helps you in anyway.

Christ teachings would just be a small piece of the removal. And it wouldn't matter, because nobody follows his teachings anyway. You'd also be removing a bunch of barbaric and nonsensical ideas that have no place in a modern, informed society. Or what could be informed, rather. Hell I'd be cool with a book of nothing but Jesus quotes replacing the Bible. But only if every Christiaan teacher committed to using it as a replacement. Dpn't think they'd go for that. 

I doubt any evil people will be held back by having one less tool to use.

It wouldn't right away, but I have no doubt that generations down the line would be better off. 

before any Abrahamic even existed tyrants simply told people that they themselves were gods or demigods and did as they wished. 

I don't think modern technology would lend itself to something like that ever being a thing anymore. Hell, I'm surprised the Abrahamic religions are even relevant in the year 2023. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Plus, THERE'S MORE...

You get absolved of all your sins and a guarantee of eternity in paradise (less all the virgins of course.)

Shoulda taken the deal with the virgins. Sounds like a better deal. Shh, nobody tell Trump that there is a religion where you get everything Christians give plus the virgins. I 100% know he'd take that deal. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I like to ask myself a simple question from time to time and have never been able to find a good answer.

IF there is a creator who carefully designed this universe, why is there so much pain and suffering and if the creator is using it as a tool to test humanities devotion, why would anyone ever devote themselves to a creator who would do such things. 

I've never been a strongly religious person, but I remember the day I read this article. I decided that I didn't believe anything could design such a cruel world and if it did, I didn't want to associate with it. 

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligator-attacks-child-disney-florida/index.html

There is no doubt that pain, suffering, and death in various horrible ways that is part of our everyday lives. There is no escaping it.  I choose to believe that one day all tears will be wiped away and that death shall be no more. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Shoulda taken the deal with the virgins. Sounds like a better deal. Shh, nobody tell Trump that there is a religion where you get everything Christians give plus the virgins. I 100% know he'd take that deal. 

Hell, I might take that deal.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So you believe that it was all created by something as part of an intelligent design. There is absolutely no harm in believing that. The problem is how that simple idea can evolve into enslaving people,  owning women as property, denying fundamental rights to people, based on their color, sexual orientation, or gender, etc, all in the name of following the creator of said design. Why can't someone belive in a creator and also believe that the creator gave humanity a divine right to forge its own path (Example - Don't be an a**hole to gay people, because they cause you no harm)

When God created the world it was without sin and perfect. When Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, evil was released into the world. Satan has been ravaging the world ever since. Satan is the perpetrator of all this evil that you and others are blaming on God and Jesus.  This evil in the world entraps people into following Satan, not Jesus. When you follow Jesus, you repent, turn away from your sinful life, and commit your life to living like Jesus has taught in the Bible through parables, covenants, commandments, and demonstration.  The Bible was written by humans inspired by God (oversight) and yes many of us do believe it is the inerrant Word of God. Ironically some posters here make statements regarding Jesus but their information comes from none other than the Bible. So they believe some of the Bible but not all. That places them on the same level as God; above humans. Sorry but that is absurd. Humans are seriously flawed, only Jesus led a perfect life on earth.  Don't blame God for the actions of sinful humans.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

All I know is what science tells us about the origin of the universe(s) which - so far - falls WAY short of identifying a creator.

With that I guess we are all carbon based life forms competing for food, shelter, and breeding rights.