2023 Juco Big Addarin Scott Commits To AU!

toddc

Not a portal guy but we’re looking for another big.

Auburn rounds out roster with JUCO forward commitment

Scott is the second JUCO pickup for Auburn this offseason, joining wing Chad Baker-Mazara

NATHAN KING92 mins16

Auburn has filled out its roster with some frontcourt depth. 

After visiting the Plains earlier this week, JUCO forward Addarin Scott committed to the Tigers on Friday, occupying their 11th scholarship spot for the 2023-24 season. 

A native of Dallas, the 6-foot-9 Scott played at Navarro College (Corsicana, Texas) the past two seasons. Last year, he averaged 9.3 points per game on 53.1 percent shooting, plus 6.8 rebounds. 

Scott has two years of eligibility remaining. 

Auburn’s frontcourt is led by the veteran duo of Johni Broome and Jaylin Williams, with players like Chaney Johnson, a transfer from UAH, and senior Chris Moore serving as backup forwards. 

Scott is the second JUCO pickup for Auburn this offseason, joining wing Chad Baker-Mazara. 

Bruce Pearl has reiterated this offseason that he likely will not utilize all 13 of his scholarships this season, and he wants to elevate a walk-on — likely fifth-year senior Lior Berman — with a scholarship. 

Edited by Rednilla
Including highlight video
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, toddc said:

Not a portal guy but we’re looking for another big.

Has decent size at 6'9" and while I didn't find anything on his weight he looks like he is solid. Can help at both 4 and 5 shoots a high percentage from the floor, rebounds well and blocks shots. shoots less than 50% from FT which is always an issue. He could be the depth piece we need at the 4 and 5.  Won't be an All Star but fits what we need and what is available. I hope we get him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Has decent size at 6'9" and while I didn't find anything on his weight he looks like he is solid. Can help at both 4 and 5 shoots a high percentage from the floor, rebounds well and blocks shots. shoots less than 50% from FT which is always an issue. He could be the depth piece we need at the 4 and 5.  Won't be an All Star but fits what we need and what is available. I hope we get him.

He barely played at a small school. I doubt he'd ever see the floor at AU unless there were lots of injuries and/or foul trouble. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

He barely played at a small school. I doubt he'd ever see the floor at AU unless there were lots of injuries and/or foul trouble. 

Sounds like the third center we needed, unironically 

• Like 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Sounds like the third center we needed, unironically 

Someone to replace Stretch?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aublaise said:

Someone to replace Stretch?

Bingo!

__

I would've had improving on the Cardwell spot/getting a third center that could push for the backup on my dream wishlist, but with the way things shook out, I can settle for having someone at all behind the two.

If Auburn gets lucky, they'll have two capable four bodies behind Jaylin, so you will hopefully have the possibility of giving him some 5 minutes, if you want to get experimental 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 Juco Big Addarin Scott

The 6-foot-9 power forward/center out of Dallas, Texas also holds offers from Auburn, Alabama State, Lamar and Texas A&M Commerce.

He is just a depth recruit I think but that’s what we need for this season.

Edited by toddc

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Need another big for the guys to practice against

@Tiger Actually need a big to help rebound since Jaylin & C. Johnson aren't great at it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Playing defense and rebounding is all we need from that role. He fits that very well.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Not trying to oversell what this guys role will likely be, but I don’t think the minutes played on his stat line is correct. There is no way he compiled those stats in 50 minutes of action.

Chris Moore  and Lior Berman are both very injury prone, and I can see Scott filling a Javon Franklin  energy type role for us.

Edited by TIGERINATLANTA
  • Like 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 Juco Big Addarin Scott Commits To AU!
53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

For a guy who will supposedly get some playing time, I'm trying to be excited and assume this is the best guy in the portal that fits coming off the bench in this role. But I'm not initially impressed. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

For a guy who will supposedly get some playing time, I'm trying to be excited and assume this is the best guy in the portal that fits coming off the bench in this role. But I'm not initially impressed. Am I missing something?

Agree totally. I wish him much success. But adding a last minute unheralded JUCO doesn’t feel like a move we should be having to make. 

49 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Well he's not coming from the portal, exactly, he's coming from JUCO. And I'm not particularly concerned about it. At this point in the cycle, good rebounding/defense for a backup who probably won't even be the primary backup is fine. Especially considering how well he put the rest of the team together, I'm fine trusting that Bruce knows what he's doing and being excited that we finished filling out the roster.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Seems Bruce has had to ‘settle’ for a couple of spots…

He's got some size -- but actually that's about all. I'm sure he is looking for an opportunity. While Auburn is looking for a guy to bump around in practice. But I'm ready to give the young man a chance. BRING. IT!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

@KansasTiger Well for 1 he's a Juco so he was never in the transfer portal. The portal is for guys transferring out of 4 year colleges.

Also not sure if you missed it but he is being brought in to help rebound since we had no 4s who are good rebounders.

5 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Seems Bruce has had to ‘settle’ for a couple of spots…

@Swamp Eagle Name one other spot. If you are thinking Ty Lawrence, we could have had him but got tired of him playing games. We then took Baker. Taking Baker is not settling since we weren't missing on Lawrence when we took Baker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Swamp Eagle Name one other spot. If you are thinking Ty Lawrence, we could have had him but got tired of him playing games. We then took Baker. Taking Baker is not settling since we weren't missing on Lawrence when we took Baker.

I'm glad we told TL to walk, multiple times. We have a guy that wants to be here (Baker was fully pursued by kentucky). He's skinny but he is a shooter that can create.  Something we haven't had from the 3 in a long time 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2