2024 4* DL Kamarion (Kam) Franklin (Ole Miss)

toddc

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

We need him now. DLine recruiting needs to pick up

Line of scrimmage recruiting is once again what’s going to keep us down, if it doesn’t improve. 

People are trying to over rationalize why this wasn’t a huge loss, and it’s crazy. Losing a 5* defensive lineman always hurts. Losing one to the school and coach who we all insisted we are so much superior to hurts more. 

Sure Ole Miss beat Saban for one last year. So Nick Saban just reached into his massive bag of blue chips and pulled one out to replace him with. He has that luxury. Auburn doesn’t. 

None of this is to blame Freeze or his staff. They are clearly working their a**es off. But at some point we gotta start building the line of scrimmage, or we all know where this whole thing will go.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Line of scrimmage recruiting is once again what’s going to keep us down, if it doesn’t improve. 

People are trying to over rationalize why this wasn’t a huge loss, and it’s crazy. Losing a 5* defensive lineman always hurts. Losing one to the school and coach who we all insisted we are so much superior to hurts more. 

Sure Ole Miss beat Saban for one last year. So Nick Saban just reached into his massive bag of blue chips and pulled one out to replace him with. He has that luxury. Auburn doesn’t. 

None of this is to blame Freeze or his staff. They are clearly working their a**es off. But at some point we gotta start building the line of scrimmage, or we all know where this whole thing will go.

It may be a loss but as some has mentioned there has to be balance. IMO if u can get two really good 4 stars for what OLE Miss probably  forked out serves a better purpose. Maybe he flips . Coach Freeze and staff probably have at least 1 or 2 more in them for this cycle.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:05 AM, Auburn93 said:

Are we putting the CFW on notice? @LPTiger

AU93, this one hurt.   A week ago he was all AU.  I feel sorry for the young man.   He had a lot of pressure being placed on him.   I had a wise businessman tell me once "that it isn't the deals you don't do that cause you to fail."     

• Like 2

NIL is going to allow mid-level schools with money (Ole Miss, Missouri, etc.) to identify and overpay for a few elite guys each year that would otherwise go to a blue blood program.  It's good for college football but sour luck for us today.

I agree though that we might, depending on the circumstances, get a second chance to persuade him down the line.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Just for S&G, does the name Linda Mae Dellenbach sound familiar?  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Just for S&G, does the name Linda Mae Dellenbach sound familiar?  

No it actually doesn't. 

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

AU93, this one hurt.   A week ago he was all AU.  I feel sorry for the young man.   He had a lot of pressure being placed on him.   I had a wise businessman tell me once "that it isn't the deals you don't do that cause you to fail."     

I like the saying "Time wounds all deals."

It seems lately that several highly regarded recruits who are predicted to be headed to Auburn end up somewhere else. Not just in football either. Go figure. :dunno:

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Thank God for the portal.

• Like 1

NIL favors desperation.  There's a market range.  People willing to go outside of the market range have a chance to win if they at least have a decent relationship with the recruit.  Kiffen and Ole Miss reeked of desperation on this one. It hurts, but it's going to happen with high profile guys. Freeze's ability to build relationships will win out over the long term, and we can stay within the market, and win more than our fair share.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

The portal does give teams a chance to take a step down and partially compensate for a 5* loss with  lesser talent later on. But, it's not as good as winning the initial competition.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

As a band aid, yes. But @AuCivilEng1 is right we got to start landing consistently the big sharks on both lines. Line play dictates success. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

The bottom line is we are going to need to overachieve on the field to attract and/or flip the needed OL/DL recruits 

@NCTiger1982 Barring somthing crazy happening, not with Deandre Carter.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

The portal does give teams a chance to take a step down and partially compensate for a 5* loss with  lesser talent later on. But, it's not as good as winning the initial competition.

Mikey you know full well that not every 5* pans out. Hell a good number of them don't. We will be taking guys in the portal who have had success in college when we don'y land our top high school targets.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

As a band aid, yes. But @AuCivilEng1 is right we got to start landing consistently the big sharks on both lines. Line play dictates success. 

I know. My post is to be read as the portal is a good option B.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Mikey you know full well that not every 5* pans out. Hell a good number of them don't. We will be taking guys in the portal who have had success in college when we don'y land our top high school targets.

Yep. Guys who have had success at Western Kentucky, Liberty, UAB and the like. We'll be seeing how that works out very soon now.

Not every 5* pans out? What does that even mean? You seem to be suggesting that we shouldn't waste time recruiting 5* prospects since many don't pan out. Just grab a starter from Western Carolina and rock the SEC, right?

• Like 1

What most college fans are missing here is the roster management part of NIL. No recruitment of a player is over unless college football gets the one time - free transfer rule set in stone. And then it's over after the players transfer that one time. A huge part of player management is the salary ( call it what it is ) for each player. If you over pay for a 4-5 star O-lineman and if you have 5 SEC worthy players in that position group , you'll have to up the salary of them all or ..... transfers, bad attitudes, and all that goes with it are the results. It's a balancing act that is more than what it seems. Hiring someone from the NFL who is accustomed to this new reality would probably be a good bet. 

My guess is we'll be better than most because our HC has embraced the new rules and will evolve as necessary. But the learning curve is not limited to AU right now. 

• Like 5

On 8/19/2023 at 11:57 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Backing what I was saying there in that post, but I also think this SHOULD be the case when you are operating with a shared pool (which is how I understand our NIL collective works). People gotta understand, you cant be "Everything School" if you have to trade 4 baseball players, 2 5 star gymnasts, maybe a basketball player just to win a bidding war for one football player

Operating with a shared pool of NIL $$ may be fine for some programs.  BUT, it's my understanding that Bruce and Butch have been instructed by the AU Administration that they have to fundraise for their own rosters, and we've been told they are passing the hat, glad handing donors and getting it done. 

Why should their hard work, valuable time and energy raising funds for basketball/baseball then be poured into the same bucket with the football funds and then distributed on a prorata share basis with an operation as big and costly as football?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

What most college fans are missing here is the roster management part of NIL. No recruitment of a player is over unless college football gets the one time - free transfer rule set in stone. And then it's over after the players transfer that one time. A huge part of player management is the salary ( call it what it is ) for each player. If you over pay for a 4-5 star O-lineman and if you have 5 SEC worthy players in that position group , you'll have to up the salary of them all or ..... transfers, bad attitudes, and all that goes with it are the results. It's a balancing act that is more than what it seems. Hiring someone from the NFL who is accustomed to this new reality would probably be a good bet. 

My guess is we'll be better than most because our HC has embraced the new rules and will evolve as necessary. But the learning curve is not limited to AU right now. 

If I were a HC (in one of the P5 big time conferences) I'd hate like hell to have to know I had to re-recruit my own roster year 'round for fear of a player jumping into the portal at any moment, leaving you hanging after all the work it took to acquire the talent on the front end. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Operating with a shared pool of NIL $$ may be fine for some programs.  BUT, it's my understanding that Bruce and Butch have been instructed by the AU Administration that they have to fundraise for their own rosters, and we've been told they are passing the hat, glad handing donors and getting it done. 

Why should their hard work, valuable time and energy raising funds for basketball/baseball then be poured into the same bucket with the football funds and then distributed on a prorata share basis with an operation as big and costly as football?  

That’s very strange if that’s the case. If that’s the case for all the programs, then that basically means if you’re making a donation to On To Victry for gymnastics, they’re just taking and applying it to football against your wishes 

Auburn’s football program is too big to fail, I would be more concerned with the smaller sports if they are forced to bankroll their own rosters exclusively