Govt restraint of Free Speech. Idaho law criminalizing teaching and classroom discussion of pro-choice views.

AU9377

This looks like a clear violation of the constitution's 1st amendment protections.  The 2021 No Public Funds for Abortion Act prohibits any public employee from promoting abortion in any way.  The law also bans or prohibits state contracts or transactions with abortion providers.  The prohibition against state contracts or transactions with abortion providers is constitutional.  However, the inclusion of language prohibiting employees of the state from doing anything that might be considered "promoting abortion" is vague. 

Five professors from the University of Idaho and Boise State are suing after they were warned last year not to refer anyone for abortion services or give advice concerning contraception.  They claim that professors have altered their teaching concerning human reproduction in fear of running afoul of this law and being subjected to its penalties.  We aren't dealing with minors here, but adults.  I cannot see what compelling interest the state would have in prohibiting a college professor from having an open discussion that includes pro choice points of view.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/college-professors-sue-idaho-law-criminalizes-classroom-discussions-102120542

• Like 1

I am pro-life but this is wrong. Both sides seem to think speech is free as long as you agree with me.

You either beleive in free speech or you don't.  

Years ago the standard was you can't  yell fire in a movie theater as that could be dangerous.

Yeah, this is extremely unconstitutional. It’s one thing for schools to set curriculum guidelines and teacher’s speech can be limited to a certain extent during the course of their duties and the violation of such can result in a justified termination.

I think it’s just rational basis for public school teacher speech while at work so to prevent massive disruption of learning in like a high school setting such a ban might pass muster but then the teacher would only be dismissed.

but making it a crime? That’s just wild. 

49 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am pro-life but this is wrong. Both sides seem to think speech is free as long as you agree with me.

You either beleive in free speech or you don't.  

Years ago the standard was you can't  yell fire in a movie theater as that could be dangerous.

But you can say “**** the war” in a courthouse 😎

Since the least controversial solution to an unwanted pregnancy is … not getting pregnant. And that it is also now illegal for them to discuss or help with contraception. I would suggest Idahoans need to improve their problem solving skills.

• Like 2