Our youth

LPTiger

So, I just saw a segment on Fox News.   Who knows how edited it was but a guy was asking young folks -- age 18 and older --basic civic questions --   what is the name of our national anthem, how many original colonies were there, name the three branches of government, when did women obtain the right to vote.    It was hard to watch.   Women got the right to vote in --- 1980.    The US Supreme Court is one of the three branches of Government.   There were 25 original colonies.  The name of our national anthem -- the national anthem.   Most of the kids just looked at the camera with dumb looks on their faces.    What in the hell are we teaching our kids?

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

So, I just saw a segment on Fox News.   Who knows how edited it was but a guy was asking young folks -- age 18 and older --basic civic questions --   what is the name of our national anthem, how many original colonies were there, name the three branches of government, when did women obtain the right to vote.    It was hard to watch.   Women got the right to vote in --- 1980.    The US Supreme Court is one of the three branches of Government.   There were 25 original colonies.  The name of our national anthem -- the national anthem.   Most of the kids just looked at the camera with dumb looks on their faces.    What in the hell are we teaching our kids?

Selective editing? Why are you even watching this stuff, man? Can't you see it is reality TV? Just portrayed differently? Same with CNN and MSNBC. It is basically MTV these days. You are watching reality TV for adults couched as "24 hour news".

I am not attacking you, just think about it. Dude I am only 10 years away from that, I knew kids at Auburn just like the above on Fox, but for every 5 of those type, there were 10 kids that could answer half of those questions and probably 5-8 that could answer them all. In a group of 20-30.  Do you think they are gonna show you the kids that answered them all? If they even asked those types of kids. Its all scripted and it isn't news or an actual reflection of real life.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Didba said:

Selective editing? Why are you even watching this stuff, man? Can't you see it is reality TV? Just portrayed differently? Same with CNN and MSNBC. It is basically MTV these days. You are watching reality TV for adults couched as "24 hour news".

I am not attacking you, just think about it. Dude I am only 10 years away from that, I knew kids at Auburn just like the above on Fox, but for every 5 of those type, there were 10 kids that could answer half of those questions and probably 5-8 that could answer them all. In a group of 20-30.  Do you think they are gonna show you the kids that answered them all? If they even asked those types of kids. Its all scripted and it isn't news or an actual reflection of real life.

Dib, what is most entertaining is that these folks had to sign a waiver allowing their mug to be on tv looking like a complete idiot.   What some people will do for 1 minute of fame...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Dib, what is most entertaining is that these folks had to sign a waiver allowing their mug to be on tv looking like a complete idiot.   What some people will do for 1 minute of fame...

Dumb, dumbs man.

13 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Like Didba said, its all scripted, but ignorance of history/civics isn't all just kids or young people 

Go out into the general public and ask people of any age range these questions and many people of all generations wouldn't be able to answer a lot these questions off the cuff. 

Hell we saw not long ago that a 67 year old Alabama State Senate candidate (and now Senator) couldn't name the 3 branches of government. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Didba said:

This. I think the world would be a better place without any of those 24 hour news sources, personally.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I have a very bright 8 year old nephew.  Just for fun, I asked him these questions.  He knew the answer to all except when women got the right to vote.  Then again, he is only 8 years old.  He also loves this kind of stuff.  He can place the presidents in order and sing that kids song to help him get it right.  He loves Youtube a little too much, but like all things, it can be a great teaching tool if it is used the right way and a nuisance if not.

He is well ahead of a lot of kids his age.  The reasons why aren't hard to see.  Before he could talk, books were being read to him.  He has been able to spend a great deal of time with grandparents that encourage him to learn and parents that are willing to sacrifice their own wants and time to make certain he has the structure and experiences that a kid needs.  I personally believe that too many parents simply push their kids off to school and expect the job to get done.  Teaching them has to begin early in life for learning to be easy.  Anyone can learn, but kids learn like sponges while adults sometimes have to pry their brains open by force to get new info inside.  If people wait until puberty to start teaching kids basic knowledge, that learning will take a back seat to other wants and desires.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I have a very bright 8 year old nephew.  Just for fun, I asked him these questions.  He knew the answer to all except when women got the right to vote.  Then again, he is only 8 years old.  He also loves this kind of stuff.  He can place the presidents in order and sing that kids song to help him get it right.  He loves Youtube a little too much, but like all things, it can be a great teaching tool if it is used the right way and a nuisance if not.

He is well ahead of a lot of kids his age.  The reasons why aren't hard to see.  Before he could talk, books were being read to him.  He has been able to spend a great deal of time with grandparents that encourage him to learn and parents that are willing to sacrifice their own wants and time to make certain he has the structure and experiences that a kid needs.  I personally believe that too many parents simply push their kids off to school and expect the job to get done.  Teaching them has to begin early in life for learning to be easy.  Anyone can learn, but kids learn like sponges while adults sometimes have to pry their brains open by force to get new info inside.  If people wait until puberty to start teaching kids basic knowledge, that learning will take a back seat to other wants and desires.

Reading for fun at a young age is so important for development. I was a voracious reader as a youngster.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, LPTiger said:

And encourage friends & family to watch. “Josh was on TV!”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Reading for fun at a young age is so important for development. I was a voracious reader as a youngster.

It is the single easiest and cheapest thing to do to better educate yourself.   My 84 y/o mom was not able to go to college, but she averaged about a novel a week while cooking for and raising 2 boys and working 8 hours a day.    She was as bright as (or brighter) many lawyers I dealt with through the years.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

He is well ahead of a lot of kids his age.  The reasons why aren't hard to see.  Before he could talk, books were being read to him.  He has been able to spend a great deal of time with grandparents that encourage him to learn and parents that are willing to sacrifice their own wants and time to make certain he has the structure and experiences that a kid needs.  I personally believe that too many parents simply push their kids off to school and expect the job to get done.  Teaching them has to begin early in life for learning to be easy.  Anyone can learn, but kids learn like sponges while adults sometimes have to pry their brains opoen by force to get new info inside.  If people wait until puberty to start teaching kids basic knowledge, that learning will take a back seat to other wants and desires.

Considering the populace, it's somewhat terrifying knowing how kids soak up "programming" from a very early age.

3 hours ago, Didba said:

I always compliment parents bringing their young kids to the library for stacks of books for excellent parenting. 

It's one of my fondest memories as a young boy, walking into the library in the summer experiencing that "book" smell (and the air conditioning!) ;)

• Like 1

One day we’re worried about our kids being indoctrinated and brainwashed in schools. The next day we’re seeing proof that they’re not retaining much of anything they are taught. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

It is the single easiest and cheapest thing to do to better educate yourself.   My 84 y/o mom was not able to go to college, but she averaged about a novel a week while cooking for and raising 2 boys and working 8 hours a day.    She was as bright as (or brighter) many lawyers I dealt with through the years.

I believe it

• Love 1

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Very solid insight. @Didba I think you will appreciate - 

I don't always agree with his opinions but I always loved hearing Scalia, and Stevens speak.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Much brighter and harder working than half those that I know I'm certain. 

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

The stuff I see that OC tries to "sneak" by the judge is unbelievable.

5 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Very solid insight. @Didba I think you will appreciate - 

He died way too young.   He and RBG disagreed about everything but they were tight friends.   Lots to learn here.

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I wish you could know her.  Right now she is suffering incredible back pain but she seldom complains.  We have an epidural in 5 days.   Praying it helps her.  She is a special woman.   Appreciate any prayers yall can send.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I wish you could know her.  Right now she is suffering incredible back pain but she seldom complains.  We have an epidural in 5 days.   Praying it helps her.  She is a special woman.   Appreciate any prayers yall can send.

ESI?

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

He died way too young.   He and RBG disagreed about everything but they were tight friends.   Lots to learn here.

The world would do well with more friendships like that.  

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

ESI?

Dib, Yes.   Neuro says it is arthritis and there is nothing to operate on.  It is so tough to see your mom's bottom lip tremble as she tells you she is "fine."   After the ESI I'm going to pursue radio frequency ablation.   I called the doc two days ago about the ablation but he hasn't called back....

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Dib, Yes.   Neuro says it is arthritis and there is nothing to operate on.  It is so tough to see your mom's bottom lip tremble as she tells you she is "fine."   After the ESI I'm going to pursue radio frequency ablation.   I called the doc two days ago about the ablation but he hasn't called back....

I hate to hear that. ESIs are wonderful things but if its arthritis, no way to know.  Has she ever suffered back trauma or car wrecks?