2025 Men's Recruiting Thread

toddc

12 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We definetly need to sign with Nike.

It’s been the most obvious win for years for our Athletic Department and they still won’t pull the trigger! 

On 9/13/2023 at 8:56 AM, KillenTime said:

Gotcha.

Don't think we can get to the level of consistency at Duke, Kansas, KY or UNC, but we can rise to and maintain a top 5 level in the SEC as long as Bruce is at Auburn.  NIL and a new Basketball only facility will keep us competitive and out of the bottom of the SEC post Bruce era.  Just my opinion. 

I've said since Bruce got here that the goal is for him to build something similar to what Billy Donovan built at Florida. 

• Like 1

So I admittedly no zero about basketball but I just curiously looked at on3 over the past couple seasons.  Auburn has not recruited at the level I was expecting to see.  The best class they’ve had in the past 5 years lost the 2 best players.  Bruce has done well with transfers but I gotta believe it’s  still better to have a solid foundation of guys you recruited out of high school?

Is Nike that big of a deal now that NIL exists?  Wouldn’t guys rather play for a championship contender that’s putting guys in the NBA?

Edited by Win4AU

On 1/24/2024 at 10:03 PM, Win4AU said:

So I admittedly no zero about basketball but I just curiously looked at on3 over the past couple seasons.  Auburn has not recruited at the level I was expecting to see.  The best class they’ve had in the past 5 years lost the 2 best players.  Bruce has done well with transfers but I gotta believe it’s  still better to have a solid foundation of guys you recruited out of high school?

Is Nike that big of a deal now that NIL exists?  Wouldn’t guys rather play for a championship contender that’s putting guys in the NBA?

We’ve had four McDonald’s All American players in the last 5 years. Our 2024 class is ranked in the top 10 in our average player rankings. CBP is going to use the portal for filling in. The portal gave us Kessler, and CBM this past year who I believe will be really good before he leaves. Not to mention Broome who is a beast.

Edited by toddc

11 hours ago, toddc said:

He should love what he is seeing from Jaylin Williams. He can see how our O gets the PF the ball in scoring position.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

If no ground made up during this visit, then it ain't gonna happen I admit.  But he would be so perfect in this offense as a combo guard. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 10:03 PM, Win4AU said:

The programs that are recruiting in top 10 in mbb, are losing those players quickly (mostly the next year). They stick around less in BB than they do in football (football ( for now) has a rule preventing them from going generally before junior year).

• Like 1

I wish nba would adopt a mlb like rule.  If you go to college then you aren’t eligible for the draft for 2 or 3 years.  I’d be ok with 2.  I think it would be good for the nba, college and the players.  It’s weird to me they don’t do that unless I’m missing something.  The no brainers can go pro from high school and the others get a couple years n college where they can mature.  The side benefit is colleges can then develop rosters more easily with 2 and dones versus 1 and dones.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 2:54 PM, mustache eagle said:

I wish nba would adopt a mlb like rule.  If you go to college then you aren’t eligible for the draft for 2 or 3 years.  I’d be ok with 2.  I think it would be good for the nba, college and the players.  It’s weird to me they don’t do that unless I’m missing something.  The no brainers can go pro from high school and the others get a couple years n college where they can mature.  The side benefit is colleges can then develop rosters more easily with 2 and dones versus 1 and dones.

I forgot where I read this , but NBA gms actually prefer to do the developing. That is why it is usually a net negative when a junior or senior comes out. Most of the elite talent are identified very early in the stage of the game. I mean look at someone like Zack Edey who probably will be 2x NCAA player of the year and hopes to make it out the 2nd round. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I forgot where I read this , but NBA gms actually prefer to do the developing. That is why it is usually a net negative when a junior or senior comes out. Most of the elite talent are identified very early in the stage of the game. I mean look at someone like Zack Edey who probably will be 2x NCAA player of the year and hopes to make it out the 2nd round. 

Very true. It’s also why some GMs will take a troubled/poor performing 5 star prospect over a high floor guy when we get to some of those later picks (Pat Baldwin Jr, Emoni Bates, to name a few). We’re getting to a point in the NBA where there’s too much talent for how many teams we currently have, but potential will still buy you a few years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I’m definitely not a knowledgeable nba person.  Fan of AU bball first and college ball second.  NBA is distant third.  I’ll admit I “want” my take to be the correct one.  That being said … I’m sure analytics would prove me wrong… but there feels like there have been enough busts/below expectations performers to justify my take.  Also I would assume there are a reasonable enough parallels with mlb to seem like a reasonable take.

a 2 and done scenario would be a boon for college bball.  Enough so in my opinion that ncaa should let kids go all the way through the draft and then come to college if they don’t like their nba  placements.  It might get nba to work with college a smidge.  IMO might have gotten us cooper back and a better shot at a deep March run with Jabari and Kessler 

• Like 2

Keep an eye on Kentucky situation.  A lot of steam on Cal not being the coach next year.  Sounds like majority of fans and boosters want him gone but the boosters will back whatever AD decides.  Tough call for the AD. Risky to let him go (and possibly to Louisville??) Along with the crazy recruit class going, but he's been less effective than Tubby was since we broke them in 19. 

Could lead to some deciding to sign elsewhere.  Kentucky still sells itself with its history and prominence in this basketball state.  So maybe not. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Keep an eye on Kentucky situation.  A lot of steam on Cal not being the coach next year.  Sounds like majority of fans and boosters want him gone but the boosters will back whatever AD decides.  Tough call for the AD. Risky to let him go (and possibly to Louisville??) Along with the crazy recruit class going, but he's been less effective than Tubby was since we broke them in 19. 

Could lead to some deciding to sign elsewhere.  Kentucky still sells itself with its history and prominence in this basketball state.  So maybe not. 

I think that class would shatter. As for the dudes on the team, I’m not sure how many of the “others” would dip. I’d LOVE big Z from there if anyone heads out. It’d be a bit of a risk since he’s a freshman that didn’t play a ton, plus came off the bench, but the skill set + athleticism is modern NBA center as it gets. The lack of defensive production may also make Pearl balk.
I don’t think he evaluates centers based on whether they can be his next all American, but there’s probably a certain level of performance he’d want to keep going 

• Like 1

Hoping for some good news in this thread soon, riding a Nike Air commitment wave FTW. 

Hoverboard Back To The Future GIF - Hoverboard Back To The Future Michael J Fox GIFs

Edited by HAPvsOA